PDA

View Full Version : This NoOB would appreciate your help...

d.caco
07-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Hey Guys,

I have now joined the darkside and purchased a 98 240 SE (89k miles) from a friend of mine the other day. It has one small problem that we need to solve, and I thought someone here would be kind enough to help me figure it out...

The car basically stutters semi-violently at low RPM (under 2000 RPM) in 1st and 2nd gear. The car may or may not die, depending on if we engage the clutch, keep the RPM's up, or throw it in neutral. It sounds great at idle, sounds great at high RPM, and all temps are good.

To describe the problem- the car start to shuddder and cut-out at lower RPM kinda like when you keep the car in gear and forget to press in the clutch while coming to a stop. chuggGa chuGga ChuGga! dead.

When my friend owned it, a diagnostic shows that the problem is the Air Mass Sensor/Flow Meter (I think thats what you call it). Before I bought it, he had replaced it, and it still didn't fix it. So they replaced a bunch of stuff (i.e Plugs, fuel filter, as far as I remember...) They beat on this problem day and night, and still could not find the problem.

Since it was such a mystery to my friends, I decided not to mess with it and see if I can bring it to the local Nissan Dealership for the hope* that they might find something else. But, they said it was the Sensor and please give me 700 bucks to fix it. My friends are positive that the sensor/meter is NOT it. Oh well, I rolled the dice, and came out with nothing knew.... sooooooo....

I was hoping this was a semi-common thing in 240's and someone here knows what it might be, or atleast a place to start (if, in fact it is not the Air Flow Meter/Air mass sensor thingy) My intution keeps going to bad ECU.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated. Hopefully I get to drive my new 240 soon?

Also, I am in the San Diego area, and If anyone knows a reliable/honest place to go- please feel free to let me know. TIA

-Dennis "New to the Nissan World" Caco

aznpoopy
07-20-2005, 01:07 AM
check the wiring for the sensor

DeatschWerks
07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
It is very possible that the MAF sensor he swapped in was bad as well. Try borrowing one from a car that is running well so that you know the sensor is good. Then reset your ECU and start it up. see if the problem goes away and if you have a new MAF ECU code.

If it still has the problem and still throws a MAF code, I'd do like aznpoopy said and check the wiring.

d.caco
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I'll have to find a friend with a 14 that works, and just start swapping stuff. I'll be getting the car back from the $tealer today.

Anything on a Honda we can fix, but the 14 is a brand new animal...

Thanks again.

BTW- anyone know anyone in the San Diego area that is a good independant mech?

-Dennis

SHIFT_control
07-20-2005, 08:23 PM
i know this isn't really the same vehicle, but I had that exact problem on my auto Pathy. All I had to do to it was chean the throttle body and it works like a champ now..... this might be comparing apples to pineapples though.

ranisron
07-20-2005, 09:00 PM
junk yard will be a source as well..

sure it is a MAF, but while you are replacing it, clean the TB, and check out the air filter as well.

hope your problem gets solved quickly.

Screw the dealership... sometimes they just want to RIP YOU OFF!

fliprayzin240sx
07-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Sometimes??? No they wont just rape you, they will screw you with no vaseline!!! But yah any DOHC MAF should work iirc. So S13 91 and up maf should work.

d.caco
07-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Yeah, the $tealer always sucks...

I just thought bringing it to them would save me some time, and I was willing to pay a bit more for the convenience just so I can start driving the car. Oh well, I'll be taking the car back tommorow. I guess we'll just fug with the car until it works.

I got tons of Honda hookups, but no Nissan- dammit!

-D.Caco