PDA

View Full Version : dropping the motor

TOMY
07-19-2005, 08:17 PM
quick question guys, are you dropping the motor with or with out the mounts?

I'm trying with and its a bitch!

statik
07-19-2005, 08:27 PM
with the mounts, very much so....do you have an engine balancer? are you dropping it with the tranny attached? The engine balacner really helps out alot especially when you chain it to uneven places on the motor, it will pick it up cocked, the balancer lets u straighten it out which makes lining up the motor mounts a snap

TOMY
07-19-2005, 08:53 PM
sorry, I meant to say that i'm dropping it with out the mounts on. I think i'll try with them attached to the engine. I do have the balancer but its weird, I have the cherry picker on the very end and the base is touching the front bumper but i'm short like half an inch.

statik
07-19-2005, 08:55 PM
can u extend the arm on the hoist?

TOMY
07-19-2005, 09:02 PM
yeah, its marked 1/2 ton-1 ton-1/5 tons etc.

aznpoopy
07-20-2005, 01:04 AM
i found it easiest to have the mounts sitting in place in the car already, but not bolted down.

SochBAT
07-20-2005, 01:59 AM
^^ what he said. And just in case, a HUGE prybar.

NismoTak
07-20-2005, 02:24 AM
When I swapped my SR recently...I kept the mounts on. Sadly I didn't have a engine leveler. Just be careful. One bad move or accident...they're screwed. And I also agree with having some sort of prybar, which will come in handy to get them in right. You might want to extend the hoist cause you'll need it when you have to shove it in there.

speeddreamz
07-20-2005, 02:30 AM
Typically, leaving the motor mounts loosely attatched to the motor is the best. The reason why is that the cross member has a slot where it can be moved a little up or down, vs the motor mount which is just one hole. Typically dropping the motor with the tranny in is easier in the long run, but a large prybar helps a lot if the motor is just a little off, pry it a little to one side, put the nut on loosely lower a bit more and push it over to the other, tighten everything up to the crossmember and also on the motor to motormount.

TOMY
07-20-2005, 06:18 AM
sounds like i'll be trying it will the mounts on.

Thanks everyone

mjjstang
07-20-2005, 05:04 PM
wait are you guys talking about the rubber mounts or the mount brackets, I cant even get my rubber mounts off the car cuz they are so badly rusted. just wondering what you guys are talking about, I dont plan on taking my engine back out anytime soon.

TOMY
07-20-2005, 07:25 PM
exactly my next problem. On to my next post.