PDA

View Full Version : Stock S14 SR and Z32MAF = SLOW

Pstl_pete
07-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Having recently performed my swap I went with a Z32 MAF instead of using the stock one (hard to find) and ran a SAFC. I set up the SAFC as per the instructions and the car runs fine during normal cruising but at WOT it is lack luster at best.
I have an AEM wideband and the sucker shows full rich (greater than 11:1) @ 10psi. So I pulled some fuel out, 20% (isnt that alot?) in the upper rpm range, and finally its up to about 11.5:1 AFR. BUT the upon acceleration the car is still sluggish at certain rpm points. Right now it would require alot more tuning to smooth out the powerband which I dont really want to do.

I guess my main question is have people experienced these types of conditions when running the Z32MAF and using the SAFC to compensate it? I am thinking of getting an Enthalpy tune done rather than waste countless hours trying to tune the problems areas out with a SAFC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Relevent info:
S14 engine
FMIC
Walbro
Full 3-inch exhaust

BoostInnovations
07-11-2005, 12:38 PM
the stock ecu does not like the Z32 MAF

TheSparo
07-11-2005, 11:02 PM
i'd say countless hours is worth more than $500 tune for a stock SR :)

Dousan_PG
07-11-2005, 11:18 PM
of course, its stock.
what did you expect?

420sx
07-11-2005, 11:32 PM
ditch it, get SOHC ka maf for cheap. come on man, what the fuck...

Pstl_pete
07-12-2005, 12:05 PM
The SOHC MAF dont work bro, I tried. I need to find an S14 maf.

And if the ecu is being sent out for a tune then Im going to add injectors into the mix. Im not going to throw money away just to retune a maf.

uno
07-12-2005, 12:10 PM
what do you have the hotwire in/out settings set to?

Dousan_PG
07-12-2005, 02:41 PM
yeah soch and s14 dont work so hot. dont waste the time

its stock so sure as hell wont be fast
whats your In/out on the safc?
i forget if s14 is 2/5 or something, im using a RB one have to put my z32 one back on one day...
i have a chuuki s14 motor

uno
07-12-2005, 02:50 PM
on apexi's website it shows z32 maf is Hotwire 2 so set it to 2 in 2 out on your safc if you haven't already done that.

BoostInnovations
07-12-2005, 08:13 PM
2/5 is for S13 i believe...maybe its 2/6 i cant remember

theicecreamdan
07-12-2005, 08:14 PM
yeah, the out should be whatever MAF your ECU is expecting, 6 or 5

uno
07-13-2005, 07:41 AM
yeah good point, i forgot about that. thanks guys. wonder if he ever got it fixed?

DoriftoSlut
07-13-2005, 10:26 AM
ARGH YOU GUYS SUCK!!!

SAFC settings IN/OUT are so that the SAFC can read the IN setting from 1 MAFS and send the ecu the OUT signal from another MAFS. OUT is always going to coincide with what ECU you have. And IN will always be what MAFS you have!

For S14 ECU, the signal is 5. If you have an S13 Ecu the signal is 6. If you have a Z32 the signal is 2. Therefore, an S13 MAFS on S14 SR COULD work with a IN 6, OUT 5 setting. Trust me, that will run like ass. It will work, but it will run like ass. And you have an SAFC. And Z32. Might as well put 2 and 2 together....

IN 2, OUT 5.

2 is the MAFS signal from the z32 into the SAFC, which interprets all those little numbers and send out different little numbers to the ECU. In this case, S14 SR, OUT is 5 designation.

AGAIN!!!!

IN 2, OUT 5!

But your car will probably still idle like crap. Z MAFS has such a big diameter that our cars at idle sometimes don't draw enough air across the MAFS to give accurate readings. Thats also why you will need to adjust the fuel settigns on the SAFC in order for it to idle steadily.

Someone say something.

BoostInnovations
07-13-2005, 04:12 PM
my stock S13 ecu with the Z32 MAF and SAFCII idles like crap and doesnt run good until the middle of the RPM range...also it doesnt seem to like it up high in range either...5k+...

WeldingHank
07-13-2005, 08:23 PM
i don't have a problem with idle on my CA18 with the Z32 MAF. but i would agree with everyone else, its a pretty much stock SR, i wouldn't expect much. why not try upping the boost?

Pstl_pete
07-13-2005, 08:35 PM
As I mentioned the car drives and idles fine. Probably because I have the correct 2 IN 5 OUT settings on the SAFC. The WOT is the problem.

I would up the boost but having the stock 370cc injectors, I am already close to maxing them out at 11 psi.

Im going to find an S14 maf and give that one a try to see how well it runs compared to the Z32 one. Ill keep you all posted.

SRfairladyZ
07-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Strange, my 1998 S14 engine with Z32 maf and safc is set at 1in 6out right now. I just tried 2in 5out and the idle was about the same, took it for a boost and hit a fuel cut at 5000rpm. Any other setting makes my car stall and rev real rough. 1in 6out seems to be working fine for me. except for sometimes having alittle break up ONLY at low rpms sometimes. also feels i maybe missing some power. Its gotta be dumping fuel cause i get lots of backfires. Tried leaning out the SAFC some and i get no diffrence really. My power also seems to vary though out the rpms, but its not breaking up AT ALL at WOT. feels like my fuel is being played with. I have NGK-R temp # bkr6, gapped to .030. cleaned my Z32 MAF wires with alcohal too. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Pstl_pete
07-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Strange, my 1998 S14 engine with Z32 maf and safc is set at 1in 6out right now. I just tried 2in 5out and the idle was about the same, took it for a boost and hit a fuel cut at 5000rpm. Any other setting makes my car stall and rev real rough. 1in 6out seems to be working fine for me. except for sometimes having alittle break up ONLY at low rpms sometimes. also feels i maybe missing some power. Its gotta be dumping fuel cause i get lots of backfires. Tried leaning out the SAFC some and i get no diffrence really. My power also seems to vary though out the rpms, but its not breaking up AT ALL at WOT. feels like my fuel is being played with. I have NGK-R temp # bkr6, gapped to .030. cleaned my Z32 MAF wires with alcohal too. Any other ideas? Thanks.

The 1in 6out setting you are running is incorrect. I would reset your SAFC and input the 2in 5out as per the SAFC Manual, check below.
I dont think there is much you can do to fix the patchy-ness, it seems like the SAFC isnt doing that great a job converting everything. Im going to try an S14 MAF and see how much better the car runs WOT.

Now to kill any confusion about what settings to run here it is straight from the APEXi manual.

http://www.son240sx.ca/cpgallery/albums/userpics/11357/normal_SAFCmanual.jpg

HitAndRunCrew
07-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey are you still looking for a S14 MAF...I have a zenki one and a Kouki one, let me know which one you need if you do...Dave

SRfairladyZ
07-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Welp, my settings maybe wrong, but my car runs and boost fine pretty much. The 2in 5out gives me a fuel cut at 5500, the same kinda cut i was getting with a Q45 maf. Not sure whats going on with that- but i'll stick with the 1in 6out setting for now.

SRfairladyZ
07-15-2005, 01:47 PM
My bad, made a mistake in my last post. When my car is set to 2in 5out the car does not run at all, stalls.. hold the gas and the engine cant even build rpms..just a misfiring mess. The fuel cut i had happend when i tried a diffrent setting. I have a late S14 engine/ecu. just about the same ECU and harness as an S15. Actully wired up the car with a S15 manual since the late S14 manuals are totaly non existant. What the hell would make my car run fine 1in 6out but not even rev on the correct setting of 2in 5out??

Ahh, think ive found something. setting 6out is for a 96-99 rps13. Seems i have a late rpS13 engine rather then a late S14 engine! That still doesnt tell me why i get fuel cut with 2in though, and No fuel cut when set 1in. hmm