PDA

View Full Version : Clunk when i Lock up Brakes

g2ic02
07-11-2005, 11:07 AM
When i lock up my brakes i feel/hear a clunk coming from the front suspension. I have looked under my car and can't pinpoint any warn parts/bushings. My question is where would you start replacing bushing to stop the sound.

SpeedMonkeyInc
07-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I have the same issue, it only happens when hitting the brakes pretty hard. I just upgraded to Z brakes, and I still have the issue. On my car the prime suspect is my tie rod end bushing, it is pretty shot. I don't know what else could be causing it, aside from other bushings.

projectRDM
07-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Tension rod. Always the first to go out, usually by 40k miles.

SpeedMonkeyInc
07-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I have aftermarket tension rods. Could it be the spherical joint twisting with the change in load?

420sx
07-11-2005, 12:42 PM
^ what rods are they? ebay? the spherical joint might be damaged. a shot out bushing, like was said before, would cause the car to act that way

g2ic02
07-11-2005, 01:03 PM
I will look at my tension rods a little closer tonight. thanks for the ideas.

projectRDM
07-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Withn the car in the air, check for freeplay anywhere else. It could be as simple as a loose caliper bolt.

180InProgress
07-11-2005, 01:30 PM
I had the same problem, it was my tension control rod bushings.... they were so worn they were almost a 2 piece set. I replaced the whole rod with battle versions and have never heard the clunk in the past month I had them.

kazuo
07-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Check the tie rod ends.

I actually started hearing the same "clunk," so has one of my friends, under the same conditions you describe... his are most likely the tension rods, as I believe both of his bushings are shot to shit.. I have brand new aftermarket tension rods, but I DO have a blown tie rod end, so I think that's probably the cause.

I'll take a look at my car today and let you know what I find.

420sx
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
fefjeofje pefkef wrong post. delete

The Hamsterball
07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
It could also be your sway bar endlink.
If they aren't tightened down correctly (especially on the part that threads into the control arm), they can move under front shock load in-out of the control arm thread and cause that click-clunk noise you are having.

It could also be a worn upper strut mount (either side or both).. usually sometimes the bearing wears out and leaves freeplay (no no) in the upper strut top mount, which can also cause a *clunk* noise when under load.

It could be anything really, but there's things you can do to find out:

Do this first,
tighten down all your front suspension component bolts:

- Front lower control arm to crossmember bolt
- Front tension rod bolts
- Front tie rod end nut
- Sway bar end link nut
- Sway bar bolts (the ones with the bushings)
- rack/pinion clamp bolts
- upper strut top mount bolts
- shock-to-spindle bolts
- etc..

After that, EVERYTHING should be tightened.. and if you still hear the noise, try to replicate it by pushing down on the front bumper.
Even if you can't hear the noise, have somebody push down on the front bumper hard and repeatedly (to replicate shock load) while sticking your hand under the car and holding various suspension parts.

Whereever you feel something loose or move when there is pressure applied should be the problem that causes the noise (Since we can't replicate the noise with just our weak human arms ;) ).

Good luck.

s134
07-11-2005, 03:17 PM
low brake pads

s134
07-11-2005, 03:18 PM
when you slam the brakes they clunk...when hitting the rotors, especially on 240sx's and other cars with floating rotors