PDA

View Full Version : Installed hks bov,my boost went up! Why?

SOUTHSTAR
07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
I run stock boost on a stock sr. on my guage it usually looks like 6 lbs from my angle. I installed an hks sbov and went for a test drive. I found that when i flor it it spikes 10lbs and settles at 8lbs.

Why is this happening?

What can i do to correct this to be back to stock boost?

BoostInnovations
07-06-2005, 12:31 AM
whats wrong with 8psi? its boost creep for the spike and id bet it was leaking out of your old BOV thats why it only ran 6psi...it should be higher than that

DrtyRat
07-06-2005, 09:27 AM
yeah i had the same issue w/my stock bov on my s14 sr and when i replaced it w/the hks boost would climb to 10 and settle @ 8.

uno
07-06-2005, 09:28 AM
yeah you're old bov was probably leaking.

SOUTHSTAR
07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I still have the stock blow off valve that is mounted on my stock sidemount.
I was running them both i just added the hks unit on that top pipe coming off the turbo. I always see the clips that come from japan with bov setup like this.

It works very well because the hks bov is not recirculated but the stock one still is. So you can hear the blow of valve but no hesitation between shifts and no stumbling idle. It shifts so much faster with the hks bov added.

So is it safe to run it the way it is now With it spiking 10 and settling at 8 on a stock engine setup.??? Will these boost levels cause any problem for the motor?

The only mod i have really is an intake filter and a walbro 255 lph pump.

BoostInnovations
07-06-2005, 06:07 PM
doesnt the boost solenoid on silvias etc let it run at 11psi? you should be safe especially if you have a fuel pump

SOUTHSTAR
07-06-2005, 10:24 PM
No the solenoid does not raise the boost because i have it installed on mine and it does nothing. I reall dont know what its for

So is spiking 10psi and settling 8psi safe on a stock motor with intake fliter and walbro pump?

DrtyRat
07-07-2005, 06:24 AM
from my previous research(read:search) the sr20 can handle 10-12lbs of boost in stock form. You may need a catback and the smic if you don't have one. I ran my sr for 3-3.5 months w/this 'problem' and never had an issue. Just search (take if from a newb) and you'll usually find your answer.

BoostInnovations
07-07-2005, 01:39 PM
why wouldnt he run an IC? i wouldnt run a gasoline turbo car non-intercooled..if it was like that from the factory hell if id keep it that way...he really doesnt need exhaust its not gonna keep the car from blowing up but thats prolly why hes boost creeping cause it cant bleed it off fast enough with the stock exhaust