PDA

View Full Version : at wits ends, still smoking

Maxboost
07-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Ok, still running a ka24e. The car is functioning fine. I put everything back together after a warped head (milled to specs, with new gaskets all the way around.) I get the car running, and it runs great for about 2 weeks. I come home from work, park the car, shut it off. I go out the next evening for a quick ride, and I start it up. It's idling like crap, I can smell raw fuel, and I have a ton of smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Its white, and it smells like unburnt fuel. I already knew my fuel pump was about to call it quits. So I replace the fuel pump today, fuel filter, strainer. I also tested my TPS, and the voltage at idle, and at WOT were way off, so I replaced it as well, hoping that it would at least rememdy the problem. Well it allowed my car to start now, but it is still idling poorly, and I still have white smoke coming out of my tailpipe. I did a leakdown test, to check and see if there could be some chance of more head problems, but it checked out fine. I pulled my MAF today, and noticed that the heated wires are coated in carbon. Could a faulty MAF sensor be doing this? I also just had the injector wiring harness redone (nissans problematic corrosion problem with the terminal ends.) Any help would be great. I'm lost, and FSM is in Cali. I've never had a problem like this before. Thanks in advanced. Coil? Ign. Module?

ledzeppelin240
07-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Your ignition system would not cause the smoking, although it could contribute to the other problems you are having. So check the ignition system and make sure everything is in good condition.

The white smoke would mean coolant is being burnt in the combustion process. If the car was burning coolant before you should have replaced your O2 sensor cause it would have been screwed due to the coolant. Right now the coolant you are burning could be causing a miss-fire.

Also resurfacing the cylinder head will not fix the warped head due to it being an OHC head. It needs to be straightened and then resurfaced. Other wise all you have done is resurfaced a head but yet your cam bore is still warped.

What you have to do then is determine where the internal coolant leak is coming from.

91rusty240sx
07-04-2005, 03:01 PM
clean out your maf and see what happens.

aznpoopy
07-04-2005, 03:26 PM
pull your sparkies and see if they are wet

i bet its a leaky injector

my dohc was acting much the same way

uno
07-04-2005, 03:32 PM
did you have the valve seals replaced when you had the engine work done?

skatanic28
07-04-2005, 04:07 PM
sounds like a leaking injector/o-ring to me too.

ledzeppelin240
07-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Hmm....A leaking fuel injector will cause a hard start if the car hasn't sat very long after been last shut down. Do you have that problem? Or check your O2 sensor voltage to see where it is hanging around at the most, rich or lean or normal?

lefhand180
07-08-2005, 10:54 PM
i have the same exact problem mines is hard to start and when it does it idle real bad and tons of white smoke comes out of the exhaust how do you check the coolant problem out?