PDA

View Full Version : Urethane filling the subframe bussssshiiings..

HyperTek
06-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Anyone ever try it? Im swapping my subframe and was thinking if its worth doing or not. Stick a screwdriver in it and see that it flexes a lil bit. I know subframe spacers/collars are made for a reason and I have a set, but was just thinking about this as an added mod/cheap alternative to the more solid aluminum bushing replacements.. ANyone ever do it?

sideview_180sx
06-26-2005, 02:25 PM
just order the upper pieces. only way to fully take advantage is to either run 8-piece spacers, or the SPL solid spacers. those are the only valid ways to fix the slop in the bushings. unless ES comes out with bushings for S13 subframe. I know they released them for S14 but im not sure if the design is the same b/w them.

m0rex
06-26-2005, 02:35 PM
He means like the rtv urethane on like fwd engine mounts. I dont know though it might work. I havent even take a look at my subframe.

alkemyst
06-26-2005, 02:55 PM
my same idea..I get a clunk when I turn to the left for the first time, and then to the right for the first time from the rear...need to get it in the air (next week)...

the 'easy' solutions I have seen are solid urethane or aluminum spacers...these will increase NVH in the cabin easily...I really don't want that.

I also don't want to have to drop the rear of the car to push/torch bushings.

The windoweld solution will add some extra NVH, but I don't think anywhere near the spacer solution.

You will have to let the car sit a few days or more if really filling it.

HyperTek
06-26-2005, 06:52 PM
please keep the off topic comments out of this thread guys.. unless its a bump .. hehe thanks =D

back on topic.

It looks do-able.
One side of the bushing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/streetphase/100_0497.jpg
The other side (which shows some depth as what can be filled in )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/streetphase/100_0501.jpg
Twisting with a screw driver to show the flex movement.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/streetphase/100_0500.jpg

Yet i know the flex test probably really isnt much useful since I cant really imagine the subframe twisting at an angle on the car. But Im pretty sure that it can be filled. As long as I dont have the stuff pertrude any further then the metal bushing then it shouldnt have any fitment issues... this mod im hoping would add to complement the usual sub frame spacers.

S14DB
06-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Do it, Do it!

projectRDM
06-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Yes you can do it easily. Pour it in and let it harden, then flip it over and do the other side.

And for the other kid who posted about ES bushings, S13/S14/S15 are the same. So are Z32.

mrmephistopheles
06-27-2005, 12:46 AM
urethane is cheap. do it. it can't hurt.

sw20>>s14
06-27-2005, 03:13 AM
worked for my friends' engine mounts...why not give it a try...

HyperTek
06-29-2005, 10:49 PM
gangsta chet! post pics later, hopefully ill swap new subframe installed tomarrow... i wanna paint the subframe tho so it can be bling bling. noticibly stiffer? yes with the screw driver trick. will see if it makes a difference on the car.. will be kind of hard to see the difference since i was rocking subframe spacers before hand. skeet skeet skeet

SochBAT
06-30-2005, 04:10 AM
Do tell us how they work out. Us poorass Nissan owners want to know, and cut some corners. =]