PDA

View Full Version : timing chain bullshit

shigitySxSe
06-23-2005, 08:11 PM
okay so my timing chain startled the damn rattle a couple days ago and i took all the steps i found in another link to get rid of it. took the guides off and the noise was gone. but now my car idles really rough. i get a nice massage just sitting in my car but its annoying as fuck.

its not the crank shaft timing but i think its the cam shaft timing or exhaust timing that is off but im not sure. i think that the top timing chain jumped a tooth on the gears bc it runs fine but it idles rough... the timing marks are on what they are supposed to be, but its still running rough. i checked with a timing light and it showed that it was where it needed to be at 20 degrees advanced. i turned the distributor bc i thought it might have been off, but its not that. theres two marks on the cam shafts, when you line up the crank shaft top dead center, the two marks on the cam shafts..i forget what theyre called..but they dont line up where theyre supposed to be.

i just dont know where to go from here... it looks like the timing marks on the crank shaft are good but the alignment marks on the cam shafts are off. how do i get it lined back up and have it not jump again? if it did jump and i tear it all apart and put it back together it will jump again, i dont know what to do.

what else could be wrong. the only thing i havent really checked is maybe the wires got messed up through the whole process?

infinitexsound
06-24-2005, 01:09 AM
get the timing right again.......do what has to be done......... re tighten it........ and oil change with lucas additive...... helps alot.......... i drive a 95 240 with a 16 valve with 200k
and all i did was change the oil with the lucas additive.. it helps alot........

shigitySxSe
06-24-2005, 04:23 PM
well what if the timing is right. i dont want to have to replace the chain or anything. i just dont understand how it runs so rough now, or what happened to cause it. ive checked everything i can think of...

NemeGuero
06-29-2005, 12:46 PM
what link did you use for the install?

and yah.. take it off and line up everything at TDC and reinstall.. don't 'settle' when doing timing.. it'll f*ck you

Dousan_PG
06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
if you pulled the upper and lower guide problems may have arrived w/ the lower guide.
you have to remove front ad pull apart some important stuff
if u didnt set to tdc or make sure everything was right you would have problems putting it back. timing is probably off

freshalloy.com has some really godo writeups on removing guides. check for posts by Mav1178

shigitySxSe
06-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Okay, so from the beginning i heard the rattle from the engine, so i proceeded with removing the guides. i took off the upper one first and there was less rattle but the noise was still there. so i went to remove the lower guide and the rattle was gone. BUT! now my car is idling rough as hell. ive checked the timing and lined everything back up dead center like it should be, and the timing is correct too. i checked all the hoses, i sprayed for vaccum leaks, replaced the air filter, replaced the distributor cap, replaced the rotor, replaced the spark plugs, replaced the spark plug wires, and even put on a new upper timing chain because i thought that maybe mine was just shot... AND STILL I have this crazy-rough idle. im about to just give up and take it to a shop and ask them what they think it is. i cant think of anything else to check but maybe some sensors? taking it apart and putting it back together again has been hell, and nothing has chenged the idle problem i have. why is it still idling like shit? i just dont know.

oh and i used this link for reference http://www.negative-camber.org/jam149/240cams.html

shigitySxSe
06-30-2005, 07:36 PM
okay...so i have a shot fuel injector. so if anyone has one, i need one, ASAP please. after replacing so much stuff and tearin that apart and puttin it back together, all i needed was to replace one of my injectors...wow

thanks for the advice though guys

now does anyone have one lying around to sell me?