PDA

View Full Version : Is this all in my head?

DrtyRat
06-21-2005, 08:54 AM
All right here's the deal. I just recently had my s14 sr20 put into a 93 240(if you're wondering why I bought an s14 it's b/c I had a 95 240,it had the s14 in it, that was in an accident) and everything was fine. I ran it for a few day w/no exhaust b/c I needed my car and hadn't had a chance to get it installed. However, once i got it installed everything was fine and running great until the other night when i took it out for a ride. This was the first time that i had pushed it since it was installed, by pushed it i mean i was shifting @ or before 6k rpm. About a mile from my house is started to hear a knock. I finally got home and popped the hood and there was smoke coming from the engine. It looked like it was coming from where the head is attached to the block. I couldn't see much and couldn't find my flashlight so I went inside. The next morning i went out to look @ it and sure enough there was oil on the enginge block that looked like it had come from the head. Now when i heard the knock I never lost any power. What i was wondering was could it just be that the head shifted during the accident and weakened the gasket enough to the point that when i pushed it hard enough that it blew, and would that cause the knock. And finally if it is just the gasket, what's a ball park figure of what it would cost to replace it(not the part but the labor)?

SirWarrior
06-21-2005, 09:19 AM
set of sockets and a rachet 30~50bux. and a few beers. Done in about 3hrs.

DrtyRat
06-21-2005, 09:52 AM
is it really that easy? I am a :newbie: when it comes to this stuff. I remember what it was like on my ka and that was hard for me, if that gives you any clue to my level of "expertise". I don't mind paying but i just wanted a ballpark of what it would cost

SDS14Driver
06-21-2005, 05:50 PM
more importantly, what do you mean by a "few" beers? do u think 3's enough? i'd reccomend 4. Just my 2 cents fellas.

HitAndRunCrew
06-21-2005, 06:01 PM
is it really that easy? I am a :newbie: when it comes to this stuff. I remember what it was like on my ka and that was hard for me, if that gives you any clue to my level of "expertise". I don't mind paying but i just wanted a ballpark of what it would cost

If you had a hard time with your KA, don't try your luck on the SR. Especially the S14 version. The timing chain is a pain in the ass if you haven't done it before, and the VVT isn't going to make it any easier. I am not sure what shops charge in Florida, but I would imagine about $500-$800 to swap out the head gasket. Since you are going to have it done, you might as well install a 1.2 mm aftermarket version. There is no point putting a stock one back in.

Also, if you don't mind me asking...What were you boosting at 6000 rpm before you heard the knock?

DrtyRat
06-22-2005, 10:16 AM
don't know cuz i haven't had my boost gauge installed but i have been running it @ stock boost since i got it(tryin to get used to this power before i turn it up). when i had the boost gauge installed it would show spikes up to 10lbs so i don't think it was too much, besides i didn't even have a fmic then and never had problems w/the motor.

SDS14Driver
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
perhaps installing your FMIC inadvertantly increased your max boost level & aided in blowing the gasket. I don't own a turbo but i remember a friend of mine's power characteristics changed after installing his FMIC; creating more power faster at the same boost levels. Of course that's to be expected but perhaps that change pushed your sr beyond your gasket's threshhold

(99 mitsu eclipse btw)