PDA

View Full Version : buying an impact gun, need advice...

xagna
06-21-2005, 07:55 AM
I need to buy an impact gun.
thing is... I live in quiet suburb area and using air compressor every weekend for several hours will create havoc in the neighborhood.

My first question is... can I adjoust torque settings on electric impact guns? How does ppl at auto repair shop adjoust the torque settings on their air powered ones?

Second question is...
What kind of problem will I run into if I use something like this on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=632&item=4388823226&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46581&item=7523949790&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Thanks a lot for your advices.

kandyflip445
06-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Fuck the neighbors. Use an air impact. You can adjust the psi of the air going into the gun.

SirWarrior
06-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Fuck the neighbors. Use an air impact. You can adjust the psi of the air going into the gun.
I agree. If they start complaining, tell them its used to take off your wheels and to pump up bike tires :P
If you want to be nice, get a good compressor, as they tend to be quieterrrr.

c0axiL
06-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I agree. If they start complaining, tell them its used to take off your wheels and to pump up bike tires :P
If you want to be nice, get a good compressor, as they tend to be quieterrrr.
defintaly agree. if its daytime when you are using it they cant say shit to you

drftwerks
06-21-2005, 11:58 AM
INGERSOL(sp?) RAND

codyace
06-21-2005, 12:58 PM
If you're going to spend money for a air gun, don't pussy out. Goto the parts store and buy this:

Ingersoll Rand - Titanium Series - 2135Ti

1000 ft lbs of reverse torque
700 ft lbs of "Git R On"

Can't beat the price for what you get...lightweight and snappy as hell...around our truck repair shop we've come to use this gun in alot of places where we traditionally use a 3/4....

IR also has this gun available in it's Quiet series too...if you're worried about waking the nieghbors...

Only thign you gotta worry about is having the air compressor behind this gun to bring it out to it's full potential....don't run this behind some wimpy compressor and expect it to crank all day....

infinitexsound
06-21-2005, 02:40 PM
i remember IR making a quite impact gun, but yeah dont buy any other name brands just get IR... why dont u enclose ur compressor in a box with foam lining? that would quite things up... kinda like a sound proof room...

bztech
06-21-2005, 03:06 PM
i remember IR making a quite impact gun, but yeah dont buy any other name brands just get IR... why dont u enclose ur compressor in a box with foam lining? that would quite things up... kinda like a sound proof room...

That IR he's talking about is a hot gun... but like mentioned.. if you've got a craftsman direct drive special (compressor) its just gonna hammer away all day and never develop enough SCFM to run that gun at its peak. Then you'll be pissed that its not doing the job, etc. So make sure you get a gun thats matched to your compressor. Also keep in mind if your compressor is a direct drive (no belt) like most craftsman, etc are. Its gonna be noisy as shit.. and its gonna run ALL THE TIME.

Best money spent are always on quality tools and supplies. It costs a bit more at first.. but if your serious about your cars/hobby your going to want good tools. Try to get a single stage belt drive compressor... it'll be TONS quieter than a direct drive unit and make more reliable SCFM at a given PSI.

Otherwise look at your compressors SCFM and PSI.. then use that to look for guns that develop X torque at such and such SCFM or PSI. IR's higher end stuff is always better than their cheaper stuff... like I said.. buy good and it'll last forever. Buy cheap and you'll replace it 4-5 times before the good unit would even be broken in.

SDS14Driver
06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks to this tread i bought an impact gun yesterday. haha, just thought u guys should know.

Way to make a difference.

kandyflip445
06-21-2005, 04:30 PM
:bigok: PICS! lol

xagna
06-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks a lot guys, And good for you, SDS14. :bigok:

NemeGuero
06-21-2005, 08:10 PM
fuck electric... weak and pointless for anything tighter than 70ft-lbs

270R
06-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Ir will last for ever.. but if u want to be quiet get a mac 4300 its quiet and light its worth 250 bones i think? but its damn good !!

ledzeppelin240
06-21-2005, 11:48 PM
From experience I know that MAC tools sells really good air tools. I have the AW5000 impact gun and it is awesome. Only 84db, it is quite quiet and has 600lbs of torque I believe. For what I do 600 is just fine I have not had a problem getting any bolts out so far.

bztech
06-22-2005, 12:05 AM
From experience I know that MAC tools sells really good air tools. I have the AW5000 impact gun and it is awesome. Only 84db, it is quite quiet and has 600lbs of torque I believe. For what I do 600 is just fine I have not had a problem getting any bolts out so far.

MAC definately sells some great stuff... however for people who don't work in a shop environment, etc and the truck doesn't come by. Its hard for them to get. IR even the industrial stuff is pretty readily available online and via alot of retail outlets. Trust me.. I love my Mac and Snap On stuff... but for guys who can't flag down the truck everyday its a little harder to come by ;). Definately good suggestions.

I think Mac used to have online ordering but I think they've taken it down. I'm pretty sure Snap-On and Matco both still do.

codyace
06-22-2005, 02:15 AM
If you're going to spend money for a air gun, don't pussy out. Goto the parts store and buy this:

Ingersoll Rand - Titanium Series - 2135Ti

1000 ft lbs of reverse torque
700 ft lbs of "Git R On"

Can't beat the price for what you get...lightweight and snappy as hell...around our truck repair shop we've come to use this gun in alot of places where we traditionally use a 3/4....

IR also has this gun available in it's Quiet series too...if you're worried about waking the nieghbors...

Only thign you gotta worry about is having the air compressor behind this gun to bring it out to it's full potential....don't run this behind some wimpy compressor and expect it to crank all day....

Don't waste time with Matco or Snapon...their return/rebuild policy blows and their cases are cheap, and not to mention heavy...

With the amount of Air Guns our truck shop has used and abused from 1/4" up to 1 1/2" , I tend to think I've got a great opinion on a very wide variety of impact guns... The IR I listed above simply outperforms the rest in every way possible...

AND to the member that said electric is junk: You are VERY incorrect...We purchased an electrical IR for my grandfather for his last birthday and IMO it works better and is more effecient than many 'starter' or base model air guns...

infinitexsound
06-22-2005, 02:53 AM
lots of ppl dont know this but ill let u in on a little secret..... IR makes alot of impact tools for other companies... PSssssT. dont tell anybody.. youll be the only one laughin when u see a guy flossin his matco 400 impact.. when u have a 179 IR brand.... that does the same daymn thing.......

bztech
06-22-2005, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=infinitexsound] youll be the only one laughin when u see a guy flossin his matco 400 impact.. QUOTE]

I like to floss... keeps my teeth clean and. Err... yeah most of those $$ guns aren't worth the $$. Most shop guys just buy them because A) Payment plan B)The damn tool guy comes buy all the time lol.

Honestly... I own a IR 1/2 and a Snap-On 3/8 for smaller stuff... I've had cheaper models in the past and they aren't worth the sum of their parts.

infinitexsound
06-22-2005, 03:04 PM
yeah i own a matco-IR brand...1/2" and a mac 3/8" impact gun... the mac one blows donkey dick... i was lookin at the IR and and matco compared them... the same daymn exact thing... to bad i bought the matco already .. would of saved me couple bills.. oh well.... and who ever needs more then 800 ft lbs. of torque is crazy.... i mean 1k is just asking to break studs... i usually have my impact gun set at 2 -3 clicks...

bztech
06-22-2005, 03:33 PM
yeah i own a matco-IR brand...1/2" and a mac 3/8" impact gun... the mac one blows donkey dick... i was lookin at the IR and and matco compared them... the same daymn exact thing... to bad i bought the matco already .. would of saved me couple bills.. oh well.... and who ever needs more then 800 ft lbs. of torque is crazy.... i mean 1k is just asking to break studs... i usually have my impact gun set at 2 -3 clicks...

HAHAHAHAHA you got ripped off ;) j/k... nah man. Its one of those things. You don't always have time to research every damn purchase haha. Yeah who the F needs 800lb ft... I dunno. I guess if I worked on Semi's all day.. but 1/2" is little for working on those big bitches!

Hey what do you do anyways? I notice we're very similar slackers

infinitexsound
06-22-2005, 04:40 PM
i did autobody for 4 years... i got sick of working for assholes... so i quit... been workin on cars my whole life.. runs in the family, so i can do just about everything ..... ummm right now im going back to school to be a machinist... and then i will be a glorifed master mechanic..and open my own small corner shop doing the things i like to do..slacker yes.. corner cutter in quality NO SIREE BOB.... i dont put crap next to my name.. and..u?

bztech
06-23-2005, 10:23 AM
i did autobody for 4 years... i got sick of working for assholes... so i quit... been workin on cars my whole life.. runs in the family, so i can do just about everything ..... ummm right now im going back to school to be a machinist... and then i will be a glorifed master mechanic..and open my own small corner shop doing the things i like to do..slacker yes.. corner cutter in quality NO SIREE BOB.... i dont put crap next to my name.. and..u?

Ahh.. I've always grown up around cars as well. I was that kid sketching cars and dreaming at 12. I currently work for a large wholesale distributor in sales and mostly just work on my own projects now. I have spent some time working weekends at friends shops and getting roped into doing other projects for people. Yeah I like a deal as much as the next guy.. but I don't want junk!

infinitexsound
06-23-2005, 05:02 PM
so wassup lets talk, i wanna put together a bunch of q45 brake setups, what can u do for me with rotors? i need lots...

WIKID S4TEEN
05-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Time to bring an ol’ thread back, cuz I got my stimulus payment and it's time to upgrade my gun.

Anyone rocking this yet…..

2135QPTiMAX http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.aspx-en-28610 (http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.aspx-en-28610)
:yum:

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

burnsauto
05-14-2008, 06:33 PM
wow..its light. That is actually a big part when im looking at air tools. the less energy you use working on a car..the longer you can do it. (seriously...small stuff like that actually does make a difference.)

I used normal IR impact guns all the time, they're great and last quite a while at our shop...one of the guys that works there has a cheap little husky tools one with an abs plastic casing...i usually wind up using the husky gun for general things..just because its easier to handle. But don't get me wrong...when it comes down to axle nuts, etc... the IR with the muffler taken off comes out. :)

drftwerks
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
matco, gots bolts ir and snap on couldnt get loose.

jilo
05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
ive had the ingersol rand titanium for about 3 years now, its been dropped so any times and it still hasnt gotten stuck on a single bolt yet.

definatley worth 200$

babowc
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
i got some husky unit a mechanic gave me..
that thing's been through hell and back and it works fine.

i left it out for ~1mo during winter and forgot about it and used it this spring and it works perrreftly fine.

Modrified
05-14-2008, 07:23 PM
+1 on the IR tool gun linked above. I bought my friends gun that he used while he was working at Sears and Nissan. The gun has been dropped and thrown across oily floor and it works like a champ. I have used other guns and the way IR guns feels on your hand is no comparison.

WIKID S4TEEN
05-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys. One of my concerns is the “quiet” technology.
I don’t want it to sacrifice any performance
but damn ~ 780ft/lbs…NUT BUSTING!!!
I’ve done the husky, craftsman and other brands, I’m ready for something...:rl: .
I’m going to shop around over the weekend and decide on Monday.
The best price I found was $276, free shipping from FL.
I wish sears stock it (close to that price) :(