PDA

View Full Version : compression testers??

sLip techniques
06-19-2005, 01:28 AM
My car started blowing white smoke out the exhaust so i decided to go and buy a compression tester to see what could possibly be wrong. I'd like to know some opinions on where is the best place to buy and if it matters what brand it is? oh and what about those ebay testers if anybody has tried those?

kandyflip445
06-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Got mine at Sears. It works.

speeddreamz
06-19-2005, 04:17 AM
i use my friends kragen one, works fine hasn't lied so far... heh. White smoke sounds like coolant? What does it smell like? did you overheat the car? Sometimes white smoke aint neccesarily a blown headgasket...its just when its warming up it looks pretty white.

burnsmonkey
06-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Craftsman from Sears also, hasnt failed me yet!

kandyflip445
06-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Nah. Mine isn't the Craftsman one. They had to special order that one so I got the one they had hanging up. It's like Accusomethingorotherwtf.

sLip techniques
06-19-2005, 12:11 PM
i use my friends kragen one, works fine hasn't lied so far... heh. White smoke sounds like coolant? What does it smell like? did you overheat the car? Sometimes white smoke aint neccesarily a blown headgasket...its just when its warming up it looks pretty white.

it only smokes right when i press the throttle (1st gear or rev). It hasnt overheated yet, and i havent really payed attention to the smell. I was thinking it might be my valve seals from a post i read when i searched, but who knows thats why i decided to get a tester. anybody tried the ebay ones?