PDA

View Full Version : Hose clamp tightness

blitz180
06-18-2005, 01:42 PM
I know this sounds n00b as hell, but when tightening down a hose clamp, how tight should one make it? should you turn it till you can't no more? I would think that this would damage the hose if it was over tight... I'm mainly talking about intercooler piping and stuff dealing with boosted cars. Radiators and stuff is easy to tell, since water would drip out. But air is thinner than water etc and there is no way to really track it minus the infamous boost leak, and then using a pressure tester on it. I would think it wouldn't have to be tightened till it almost cuts the hose, but how do you gauge when you have tightened enough?

caall99
06-18-2005, 09:23 PM
try this:

you need to find the half way point of deformation of the hose when tightening it. so half way between the clamp just touching the hose all around, and the clamp completely squishing the shit out of the hose. works perfect for me everytime, and the hose is never cut or damaged. sometimes you just need to become one with the hose...

mjjstang
06-18-2005, 10:45 PM
theres a mathematical equation for this I cant remember some theory or something, you need to proof it out, but since I cant remember, just tighten it good, intercooler piping is easy, just get it tight, if you have a good kit you should have good clamps, on the otherhand my little k&n breather has rubber shooting out of all the little holes in the pipe clamp because it was designed stupid and the whole kit sucked.

MakotoS13
06-18-2005, 10:45 PM
oh.... my... god...

if you're gonna be messin with turboes i gotta advise against it... you're gonna lose a finger or sumthin dude.

blitz180
06-19-2005, 10:26 AM
^and I'd advise you not to post in threads for no reason other than to be a smart ass... just asking a question...

citizen
06-19-2005, 11:40 AM
mechanic's touch

sr240mike
06-19-2005, 06:26 PM
For intercooler piping your should get T-bolt clamps, period.