PDA

View Full Version : What kind of ALARM system?

NemeGuero
06-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Ok, so I'm moving to Berkeley this summer and everyone I've talked to has told me to watch out for my car.. Obvious next step, invest in an alarm.

What kind of alarms are you guys using?

Something with remote start, turbo timer, and keyless entry is what I'm lookin' for..

any recommendations?

kazuo
06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
The kind that makes noise when people try to jack your shit.

lol

Clifford or Viper should be fine for what you need. Just get the same alarm as Jon Wayne dude.

Stay away from the small stereo shop specials unless they're using a good, brand-name alarm... they like to use cheap shit that, eventually, will end up like my friend's car, where he'd clutch in, and his doors would unlock and his hazards would start blinking.

Don't even ask what would happen when he'd put it into gear. :P

zenkiDori
06-15-2005, 02:22 PM
get one that uses rolling code and if you can swing it, GPS.

Blues13
06-15-2005, 02:32 PM
If you can't swing the GPS or cell phone alarms, the RF pager alarms aren't bad if you park your car right in front of your house. It'll let you know that its actually your car that has the alarm going off since everyone's alarm sounds the same these days.

SDS14Driver
06-15-2005, 02:37 PM
lololol! what happened when your friend shifted, just outta curiosity. :D

I particularly like the Viper 5000: $350.00

2-Way Security System with Responder Technology

6-channel 2-Way security/keyless entry system*
Confirms commands and system triggers on the transceiver LCD screen
Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
On-board Door Lock Relays
Parking Light Flash
Failsafe® Starter Kill - On-board Relay
Remote Adjustable Stinger® DoubleGuard® Shock Sensor
Revenger® Six-Tone Siren
Bright Blue LED System Status Indicator
Dome Light Supervision - On-board Relay
Retained Accessory Power
Comfort Closure
5 Auxiliary Outputs for additional remote control functions*
Horn Honk
Includes One 2-way Responder Transceiver and One 4-button 1 way Transmitter

I personally think that the remote starters aren't worth it cause if somebody jacks your remote then they got your car like that. Keyless entry button + Start ignition button = i dont need your keys. Not to mention you can activate your car's functions sometimes from like a 1/4 - 1/2 mile away. But that's just me.

Keyless was the way to go for my application, no remote start but Viper has some cool remote start stuff as well.

projectRDM
06-15-2005, 02:47 PM
It's a very good idea not to discuss what type of alarm you have on your own car on a public forum. More chances for the thieves lurking to come take it.
I worked in car audio and electronics for over 12 years, one of the things we looked for is cars with lower key alarms or poor protection if we needed a quick buck. I'm certain there's a few of those characters on here right now and by announcing what you have you're just asking for it.

Blues13
06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I personally think that the remote starters aren't worth it cause if somebody jacks your remote then they got your car like that. Keyless entry button + Start ignition button = i dont need your keys. Not to mention you can activate your car's functions sometimes from like a 1/4 - 1/2 mile away. But that's just me.

I believe on most remote starters, you still need the key to be in the ignition to actually start driving. If you try to put the car in gear without the key, the car will die. The range on the remotes are almost never as far as 1/4 mile. That would only work if you were on flat land with nothing obstructing the line of sight of your remote to your car.

zenkiDori
06-15-2005, 02:56 PM
just FYI "code-hopping" means rolling code. what happens is that the transponder and the alarm never use the same code for an operation twice, so if someone is sitting outside your house with an RF scanner waiting for you, the code they grab is useless.

there is only so much you can do to stop a thief. any determined thief who REALLY wants your shit will get it(i guarantee you i can disarm 90% of alarm systems in 30 seconds or less), but things like GPS make it more likely your car will be recovered, and soon. the real trick is to not make it worth thier while. make them move on to an easier target. the best thing you can do for your car and parts is to have a good insurance policy.

chuy
06-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Just put a cutoff switch for your fuel pump and or ignition even with an alarm someone could always cut the power and jack it up and trailor it. Either way if someone wants it they will take it.

holisticbeatz
06-15-2005, 05:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/brown_eyes_1981/06-03-05_1933.jpg

Smith & Wesson .40 caliber

ThatGuy
06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
^Practice proper gun safety.

-Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
-Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
-Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
-Keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

papershot
06-15-2005, 06:06 PM
are the alarms from asianwolf.com any good?

S_14.5
06-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Ok, so I'm moving to Berkeley this summer and everyone I've talked to has told me to watch out for my car.. Obvious next step, invest in an alarm.

What kind of alarms are you guys using?

Something with remote start, turbo timer, and keyless entry is what I'm lookin' for..

any recommendations?

Hey NemeGuero,

Have fun with the drivers in Btown...I love watching people park...haha. Your bumpers are going to take a beating! Did you choose an alarm?

drftwerks
06-15-2005, 09:25 PM
try lowjack or there is something new where you can track your own car ONLINE.
i forget what its called.

93DRIFT
06-15-2005, 09:35 PM

yeah! thats what im talking about, in the states you got guns, in canada you got snow shovels

zenkiDori
06-16-2005, 01:15 AM
lojack is teh suck, it's RF based not GPS. so there is a range and outside that range you're SOL.

TheSnail
06-16-2005, 01:34 AM
That's the spirit holisticbeatz. I lock the doors and listen for noises, I dont sleep till 6am so when ever they want to come by, its game over.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/p2030a13065372c573cf74e25bd2eb253/f40b1699.jpg

sepulchral
06-16-2005, 04:40 AM
That's the spirit holisticbeatz. I lock the doors and listen for noises, I dont sleep till 6am so when ever they want to come by, its game over.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/p2030a13065372c573cf74e25bd2eb253/f40b1699.jpg

then you shoot at them piss drunk :)

S14DB
06-16-2005, 04:59 AM

Bah, Lefty's can't aim. :fawk:

publicenemy137
06-16-2005, 11:12 AM
It's a very good idea not to discuss what type of alarm you have on your own car on a public forum. More chances for the thieves lurking to come take it.
I worked in car audio and electronics for over 12 years, one of the things we looked for is cars with lower key alarms or poor protection if we needed a quick buck. I'm certain there's a few of those characters on here right now and by announcing what you have you're just asking for it.

damn that's shady as shit.

How secure is the Viper 350HV alarm? I know it's not the best on the market, and I know thieves can pretty much bypass any car security, but just wondering how does this compare to other car alarms out there.

s156spd
06-16-2005, 03:14 PM
compustar :Ownedd:

drftwerks
06-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Try the "FUCKING CAR LOOKS LIKE SHIT" Alarm

S14DB
06-16-2005, 05:30 PM
compustar :Ownedd:
It's harder to find a dealer than to jack a car with one.

TheSnail
06-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Get a big wooden crate covered with sound deadening material, load it up on a trailer, drive to the car, have four of your friends one on each corner carry the crate, place it over the car with one person inside, they smash the window, pop the hood, disable the alarm, then makes a signal for his buddies to crawl under the crate and get to work. Once all parts are removed, everyone lifts up the crate, loads it on the trailer, then loads the parts in the truck bed.

holisticbeatz
06-16-2005, 06:12 PM

What kind of a gun is that? Looks pretty wicked with that extended clip.. How much can you load in there? I bet it gets pretty heavy..

Bah, Lefty's can't aim. :fawk:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/brown_eyes_1981/06-03-05_2318.jpg

I have good precision, but poor accuracy..

I admit I'm not a marksman, it takes practice and dedication.

I used a .44 Magnum to punch those holes.. :bigok: My favorite gun!

TheSnail
06-16-2005, 09:41 PM
What kind of a gun is that? Looks pretty wicked with that extended clip.. How much can you load in there? I bet it gets pretty heavy..

Its actualy a squirt-gun thats filled with hot-sause.

Those holes from that 44mag look like they can do some damage. Nice group, despite being a little to the right.:)

chlatboy
06-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Berkeley is right next to oakland. And cars get stolen there like its a habit!!! Get yourself a good alarm, kills switch, removable steering wheel, club, and a bat to beat someone asses down.

zfinger
06-16-2005, 10:57 PM
I have a cheap Crimestopper, but I'm upgrading to the approximatly $350 Avital alarm. It's got remote start and a pager and stuff, nothing too fancy but it'll do the trick for what I need.

TheSnail
06-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Unless someone has a "sound deadening crate" and since it's wrapped with aluminium, the signal to your pager will be destroyed.