PDA

View Full Version : anyone have pictures of...

24Dee
06-14-2005, 09:14 AM
...beam patterns on an s14 with the German headlight housings and halogen bulbs in them?

The few things that I found through searching were HID kits in them.

I remembering seeing pictures awhile back of an aftermarket headlight housing with halogen bulbs in them and the beam pattern was horrid. I think they were the Final Konnexion lenses though, not fully sure.

MrSkinny
06-14-2005, 09:31 AM
german are the same as what u have in your NA car. just that its glass instead of plastic. theyre still fluted. as far as i know fk are the only ones that make a clear one but those are useless unless uhave HIDs. google systemQ s they carry them..

hotrodv
06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Isn't German..I think all the european S14 have clear lens..

projectRDM
06-14-2005, 01:38 PM
All Euro S14s have glass lens. But not all are LHD.

The LHD glass beam pattern is nearly identical to the US (when new and not yellowed), the main benefit is individually adjustable beams. The US reflector is one piece, the Euro is two piece allowing for separate aiming of low and high beams. That was the most noticeable improvement for me. The next enhancement is implementing the UK electric aiming switch, mine's finished but I haven't driven the car yet to play with it. This allows you to set the low beams a little below optimal (good for HID use, since it cuts off higher) and then raise it from inside for darker roads. That leaves the highbeams set where they need to be and doesn't screw up the aiming like the US lights do.

24Dee
06-14-2005, 01:45 PM
All Euro S14s have glass lens. But not all are LHD.

The LHD glass beam pattern is nearly identical to the US (when new and not yellowed), the main benefit is individually adjustable beams. The US reflector is one piece, the Euro is two piece allowing for separate aiming of low and high beams. That was the most noticeable improvement for me. The next enhancement is implementing the UK electric aiming switch, mine's finished but I haven't driven the car yet to play with it. This allows you to set the low beams a little below optimal (good for HID use, since it cuts off higher) and then raise it from inside for darker roads. That leaves the highbeams set where they need to be and doesn't screw up the aiming like the US lights do.

So the German (Euro) headlights that Courtesy sells are just LHD glass versions of the ones we have here in the US? Eventhough they are glass, they get that yellow tint too?

I was under the impression that having the glass housings would somehow improve the output and beam pattern. Also eliminating that yellowish tint.

projectRDM
06-14-2005, 06:25 PM
No, you read wrong. Glass does not yellow.

The beam pattern is near identical to the US lights IF they're new and not yellowed. I put my Ecode lights on only eight months after replacing the US lights, so they hadn't yellowed yet. Virtually no difference from inside the car other than the ability to aim better.

Courtesy's are true Euro lights, there's just a lot of LHD countries overseas.

S_14.5
06-14-2005, 08:12 PM
...beam patterns on an s14 with the German headlight housings and halogen bulbs in them?

The few things that I found through searching were HID kits in them.

I remembering seeing pictures awhile back of an aftermarket headlight housing with halogen bulbs in them and the beam pattern was horrid. I think they were the Final Konnexion lenses though, not fully sure.

Bad pattern b/c they were Japanese S14 Zenki headlamps for RHD. :bow:

24Dee
06-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Bad pattern b/c they were Japanese S14 Zenki headlamps for RHD. :bow:

I understand what you mean but I meant bad as in the light output was all over the place. There wasn't one point of focus at all... it was just light scattered everywhere.