PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) S13 is home...pics and questions.

trackstar
06-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Well, after a long search and a long ass day of traveling, I got home with my newly acquired S13 coupe w/ SR20DET. I ask for your patience in advance as I will probably bombard you guys with questions as I adjust from my pair of prior Z32's. :wiggle:

I will post one teaser shot, since the car is filthy and not deserving of any attention. The body is fairly rough but mechanically she is sound. When I am done cleaning her up in the next few days I will post before and after pics. Needless to say, I don't think the car had been washed in years; in fact, I think some of the dead insects on the front probably have gone extinct since then.

http://www.photodump.org/stored/newsilvia.jpg

And my first few questions: #1, is there supposed to be a vacuum line attached to this nipple on the BOV?
http://www.photodump.org/stored/bovnipple.jpg

And related, question #2: I am having some problems with the car stalling when the motor is under load and then taken out of gear; the rpms drop (as normal) but keep dropping straight down to stall! I have a feeling it's the BOV or a vacuum line somewhere; I'm thinking I should try and tighten the spring on the BOV? (I can hear it release when I let off of even the slightest throttle). Also, in the top of the pic, you can see blue hoses where a MBC was plumbed in but tee-d off (not fully hooked up). Possibly is that supposed to connected to BOV?

And finally #3: I am getting a squealing sound when engaging gears (sounds kind of like a belt squealing briefly but it sounds like it is coming from the tranny/clutch/flywheel). Car shifts fine and engages smoothly though. Only possiblilites I can think of are TO bearing or pivot fork (car has Spec stg 3 clutch and fidanza flywheel). Any ideas?

Thanks for your help guys, I'm busy searching the archives for the answers to my 8 million other questions. :bowrofl:

makav3li
06-11-2005, 07:57 PM
car is messed up, give it to me. just kidding nice find. i believe there should be a line on the bov cuz it was on there for my old ka-t. in my old ka-t, i use to have the same problem with the car stalling. it was fixed when we uped the idle a little. could also be a leak somewhere in your piping.

Harris
06-11-2005, 07:57 PM
#1 : That vac. line helps make the valve in the BOV open to relieve the pressure between shifts (in order to prevent compressor surge).

#2: You need to tighten that spring in the BOV. Sounds like the BOV is letting out too much air, causing that little stalling problem.

#3: Definitely sounds like a bad TO bearing.

BTW, this is my first post here. I'm not a noob to cars, just new to the forum.

trackstar
06-11-2005, 08:04 PM
#1 : That vac. line helps make the valve in the BOV open to relieve the pressure between shifts (in order to prevent compressor surge).

#2: You need to tighten that spring in the BOV. Sounds like the BOV is letting out too much air, causing that little stalling problem.

#3: Definitely sounds like a bad TO bearing.

BTW, this is my first post here. I'm not a noob to cars, just new to the forum.

#1: So is there supposed to be a line running somewhere, and if so, where?

#3: Dammit, I had a feeling that was going to be it...You sound pretty certain. I guess it's time for a tranny drop. Hopefully it will be easier than the mother of all *****, the Z32...

Harris
06-11-2005, 08:24 PM
#1: So is there supposed to be a line running somewhere, and if so, where?

#3: Dammit, I had a feeling that was going to be it...You sound pretty certain. I guess it's time for a tranny drop. Hopefully it will be easier than the mother of all *****, the Z32...

#1: The vac line that is connected to the BOV should be coming from a point on the intake manifold, right after the TB.

#3: Only reason I'm certain is because I had two cars making the same noise, and both times I found the TO bearing to be bad. Both times it wouldn't spin freely, meaning that either it wasn't greased up when it was installed, or it was just time for it to say bye-bye. The tranny drop should be easier on the S13. I remember hating every moment of working on my buddy's Z32 TT. Taking out the motor and tranny is such a PITA. No wonder I never had the want to buy one. :)

Pepperoni
06-12-2005, 01:50 AM
question....are you able to rotate your bov flange at all? it looks a lot like an enjuku hotpipe (which is what i have) and im not sure if it's normal that im able to rotate it. it will tighten up if i rotate it enough times, but im not sure if this is normal and if it's not tightened up then will that cause leaks..... it kindo f caused me to have an idle problem (slight) so maybe u should check if it's fully rotated unless im wrong..

trackstar
06-12-2005, 11:45 AM
OK, I verified that the BOV is already hooked up to recirc (vacuum line running from BOV to right nipple above throttle body).

Question: the vacuum line coming off the wastegate is t'd into the above recirc line. Is this proper? According to silbeer.com, the wastegate line needs to connect somewhere on the charge piping/hotpipe. Is this appropriate?

Also, the MBC is t'd into the vacuum line coming off the wastegate (before that line t's into the recirc line. Is this right?

Jonnie Fraz
06-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Changing out the TO bearing sure beats it disintergrating and taking out your clutch which is what happened to my BMW. That was both fun and expensive.

trackstar
06-12-2005, 04:50 PM
OKay, I tightened down the BOV (not much, because it was already pretty tight); no change. Car still stalls. One nipple on the BOV is connected to the recric nipple aove the TB, the other BOV nipple goes nowhere...any ideas?