PDA

View Full Version : Re-assurance and diagnosis about MAF

twitchy
06-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Okay i think ive narrowed it down to the MAF but i want to make sure i have all bases covered

The Symptoms

Car ALWAYS:

-has trouble starting when its been sitting for a certain period of time, ie more than 20 mins but less than 2 hours or so....(not at full operating temp but not cold either) if i wait 1 hour 15 mins dead on it always sputters and dies at least 2 or 3 times when i start it (this is how long it takes me in the gym every day and it never starts when i leave) giving it gas makes no difference

-idle gets real real bumpy once its warm, often drops under 500 rpm at a stop

-generally has about 75 % of its regular power

car SOMETIMES

kicks, hesitates and sputters when accelerating at moderate throttle usually between 2 and 4 thousand revs

idles properly before shortly going to "lumpy idle mode"

now aside from this i discovered

- when i go to start the car after that magic 75 minutes when it NEVER starts, if i UNPLUG the maf it starts without much fuss on the first time

-ECU is spitting out code 12 (MAF)

so basically it looks like everything points to the MAF but has anyone had similar probs caused by something else, or had similar problems and changing the MAF did not fix it?

car is a 1993 with header and intake

thanks

Twitchy

TheSnail
06-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Check the wiring continuity at the maf plug by resistance and voltage with a mutimeter.

twitchy
06-07-2005, 11:48 PM
yes i read that in the FSM

but i dont understand how you check continuity..i measured a voltage out of it but not resistance or "continuity" (i failed electronics)

??

TheSnail
06-07-2005, 11:56 PM
If you checked for power with the ignition on, check continuity for the grounds by checking the resistance with the ignition off.

twitchy
06-08-2005, 12:03 AM
okay, so i figure out what terminals the FSM says to check continuity of and there should be some resistance right? is that what that means, otherwise it would be shorted out?

TheSnail
06-08-2005, 12:34 AM
If I remeber corretly while doing mine. The resistance was 5ohms. That was a diff motor, It should say in your fsm. If not, tell me what engine you have, and I'll let you know the resistance.

twitchy
06-08-2005, 12:36 AM
thanks for the help

the FSM says "check for contuniity between terminal B and ground and that "contuniity should exist" but doesnt give a range

TheSnail
06-08-2005, 12:38 AM
What are you getting for resistance?

TheSnail
06-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Ignore what I said about the the 5ohms, I downloaded the rb26 fsm again and for checking for continuity for the maf is 0 ohms. I remeber now that Igot 5 volts for power since I did not have the eccs relay conected. Resistance for the ground , you should have 0 or close to it.

twitchy
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
thanks ill check it out soon and let you know

car was in an accident today (not my fault) so i have other problems! YAY!!!!
thanks again

twitchy

marios13
06-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Well I'm Having A Problem Aswell Since I Have Changed The Intake It Has Been Giving Me An Idle Problem And As This Morning Its Official Shit Wont Start , I'm Not Hearing Fuel Pump , Maybe Ur Fuel Pump Is Going Too, Check Ur Dist' Cap Too. Everything Ur Discribed I Went Threw This Last 2 Days

marios13
06-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Yo Twitchy Can U Here Ur Fuel Pump Starting???
Wiith Out Starting The Car Turn To Ignition Do U Here A Whoooing Sound If You Dont Ur Pump Went On U Check The Fuse For The Pump Also You Can Find This In The Engine Bay I Believe Fuse Number Should Be 10 . I Just Found Out Last Night It Was My Pump. Im Changing That Shit This Weekend, Does Anyone Know How To Change This Pump On The Car Do I Have To Drop The Gas Tank?