PDA

View Full Version : Stuck In Gear...Wuts Wrong???

RoNx777
04-07-2002, 03:01 PM
Last nite was the first time i came across this problem, then it just kept on happening...
I have the clutch fully engaged~then i shift into first, everything is fine...but then i go to shift down to second, im stuck. Meaning i cant shift out of first gear (clutch is engaged). I had to yank dat shit out of first, i mean i had to pull it REALLY hard to get it out. It happend a few times (only in first gear) but then when i got home and i was parking, it happened again but this time in first gear & reverse!
Wats happening to my car???!!! Does it have anything to do with the clutch??? Or is it my gears???

Please help

96SEChick
04-07-2002, 06:32 PM
It could possibly be your clutch, but it may also be your synchros.  Did it just start doing this, or had it done it a little bit and gradually gotten worse?  Do you speed-shift or ram it into gear (before this incident)?

smooth240
04-07-2002, 07:10 PM
I had the same thing happen to a friends 99' Cougar. He had to have $1000 cdn work done to his tranny. His clutch plate was all  heat damaged. He did a lot of downshifting to get a heads up on another car while driving which ultimatly destroyed his clutch. His was fine then suddendly it wouldn't shift into gears properly.

DrDubbleB
04-07-2002, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but it sounds more like sychros to me also.  I can always take it out of gear w/o using the clutch just fine (although I don't normally do that).

camppain
04-07-2002, 09:52 PM
why dont u see if your clutch master cylinder, slave and dampner are ok? try bleeding your clutch and look for leaks.

also this happened with me at times i couldnt get out of a certain gear at times. turned out the bushing on my clutch pedal was gone. so that caused the pushrod no to engage the m/c and blah blah blah further down the line correctly.i would start with the obvious and more simplistic (cheaper to repair)items

WhiteS13
04-08-2002, 01:38 AM
At what height does the clutch engage in? If the engagement point is too low, the clutch may not be releasing fully.  This can be fixed by adjusting the rod on the master cylinder.  A worn or bad throwout bearing can also be the culprit.

It may also be a faulty clutch master or slave cylinder. Check to see if it's holding pressure by having someone look at the slave cylinder while the pedal is depressed fully. If it backs out on its own, then you know it's the hydraulics.

Do you have trouble getting into every gear?  How does your transmission shift during normal driving after the car has had time to warm up?

RoNx777
04-08-2002, 09:13 AM
1) This happend for the first time on Sun., now i was driving yesterday and it didnt happen.
2) No i havent speed shift before or ram it into gear.
3) Down shift yes, but only occassionally. I do drive hard but not abusive.

I ask some ppl b4 and they recommend that i change the trans. oil first. However my clutch is engaging pretty high. I was changeing it any so i guess this should be a good time.

9524tee
04-16-2002, 03:34 AM
down below the clutch pedal , there should be screws that adjust that helps a bit , it might not be going down all the way , or it might be your master cylinder

bbp
04-16-2002, 09:33 AM
From you description I would say it is

A: the clutch disc is worn, BUT you didn't mention that it slips in a lower than needed gear with the throttle to the floor.  Does it slip?

B: The clutch slave cylinder need to be bled or replaced.  Check you fluid level and try bleeding the clutch slave cylinder located on the side of the bellhousing/block. If you notice any fluid in the area, replace it.  This thing can be a b*tch to bleed sometimes.

Generally when it seems stuck in gear the clutch is not fully disengaging.  You notice it first and reverse beacause they are low gears and the car is not moving that fast, puts heavier load on the gear.  You need to fix that before you damage the clutch itself.