PDA

View Full Version : some tips on rust?

sw20>>s14
05-30-2005, 09:42 AM
i was repairing all the suspension pieces i bent and had a major problem with topical rust seizing my parts...one that i couldnt overcome was the rust on the hub bearing to brake shield to spindle...i just couldnt tear it apart and from what i understand, the hub/bearing assembly should "slide out" with minimal force...
since im going 5 lug very soon, i was worried that i would have to deal with this problem X4...
so my question was: is there any product that penetrates rust and makes removing objects easier? just wondering if you guys have used products that actually work...i dunno, things like lubricants, grease, etc...

papershot
05-30-2005, 09:45 AM
pb blaster, wd40, etc.

Phlip
05-30-2005, 09:46 AM
PB Blaster works very well, 4.99 at O'Reilly's or whatever auto parts joint is closest to you... I found it more effective that WD40

JDMs13
05-30-2005, 12:15 PM
deep creep......autozone, napa, pep-boys etc.....

DaPCWiz
05-30-2005, 12:45 PM
liquid wrench is pretty good too, altho i think PB blaster is a bit more effective.

chlatboy
05-30-2005, 03:11 PM
WD40 and a good ole hammer!

SochBAT
05-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Leave the rust, poorman's weight reduction!

infinitexsound
05-31-2005, 03:16 AM
i just did the z32 ebrake setup, and had the same issue... with rust.. it should come out not easily tho... just spray what ever and drive it out... in my case i sprayed silicone lube i had laying around.. let it sit for a few min...and then use a big ass socket as a driver and beat it loose... try not to damage any parts... and keep it solid.. i did this by myself.. so it can be done just gotta be persistent... once its out.. definetly should clean up the rust..

sw20>>s14
06-01-2005, 02:31 PM
thanks for all the suggestions, im gonna try all of the above...anything that will save my back is well worth the money...

i just did the z32 ebrake setup, and had the same issue... with rust.. it should come out not easily tho... just spray what ever and drive it out...

hey, i was thinking. at first, i read that sentence wrong and thought you meant: you sprayed stuff and drove it around. do you think thatll work? ya know...lube it up and kinda loosen it up a 'lil? damn, girls are like cars...j/p to all you girls...

Gjohnson7
06-01-2005, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=sw20>>s14]hey, i was thinking. at first, i read that sentence wrong and thought you meant: you sprayed stuff and drove it around. QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing when I read it.

infinitexsound
06-01-2005, 04:29 PM
noooooooooo not drive it around... spray lube and let it sit and penetrate...... then do what u gotta do...take for instance when ur doing the rears.... and u need to get the hub off the spindle and baccking plate... well u use a driver something about the same size of the bearing... and place it on the back of the bearing.. and u beat it to push the parts apart.... hence like a driver.. u do the same things when u replace u joints on the driveshaft