PDA

View Full Version : Cant unbolt CAT... need help

xka24detx
05-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Okay i wanted to unbolt my cat to check it out since im failing smog, i was able to get the little shield around it off. But the bolts holding it on are torqued like a fucker.. I tried using my socket wrench, regular wrenches. I couldnt get the torque wrench under because there wasnt enough clearance and i dont want to jack it up to try because the whole thing shakes and i dont have jack stands, and the jack i have is my dad's old jack from the 70's. I soaked the guys in WD40 which might have been a bad thing? Heat + WD40= Fire? lol... my friend was telling me to use a breaker bar, im not exactly sure what that is? Any other suggestions?..

zero.counter
05-28-2005, 06:11 PM
PB Blast, a breaker bar, and some jack stands are needed. Go to an autozone or borrow one. A breaker bar is just a long bar that gives you length for more torque...

slivia-junkie
05-29-2005, 01:19 PM
what i had to do for mine is put the car on a lift and heat thoes bolts with a torch till they were red hot then they came right out. note after this you need new bolts but that is a hell of a lot better than breaking them in the cat and then drilling and retaping

Eternal_240Sx
05-29-2005, 01:49 PM
buy some jack stands and then use a breaker bar.

ranisron
05-29-2005, 02:11 PM
use a torch and heat the bitch up... I did that in the past... need new bolts, but that's about it.

420sx
05-29-2005, 03:28 PM
PB BLASTER is your friend. and breaker bar. my breaker bar - floor jack handle. u can even use 2 of them for extra length