PDA

View Full Version : Steering clunk / pop only on opposite lock?

MikeDeuce
05-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Anyone know what might cause this? Heard it a little bit on an event on Sunday, then again on the way to work this morning. It only happens at opposite lock -- at the very instant you hit maximum steering angle is a noticeable clunk from the front.

I'm at work now so I can't get under the car, but it started to bug me while I sat here. I searched a while and the other clunk threads seem related to brakes and or recently installed suspension.

I have relatively new-ish (2yrs) inner/outher tie rods and tc rod/bushing... nothing has changed in my set up since then.

Obviously I need to get under the car, but it's bugging the hell out of me right now. I appreciate any ideas that might help me narrow this down while I suffer at work.

thanks
mike

the head
05-27-2005, 12:23 PM
could be worn rack bushings allowing the rack to shift at full lock

gfisch
05-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Well, my car was making clunking sounds when steering, and i finally got to taking a look at it yesterday.

I think it was just some bolts looseining up a bit in my front suspension (just replaced coilovers & tensions rods recently). I didn't see anything too bad, but I cranked em all down and now no more nasty sounds coming from the front.

g2ic02
05-27-2005, 02:45 PM
i get a similar sound, but mine almost feels like it is comming from the steering column...i think there is a bushing some where near the nuckle. I am just too lazy to pull everything apart to look at it... i have to pull my turbo one of these days to have rebuilt so i will look at it then

MikeDeuce
05-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Almost quitting time, thanks for the responses... I'll let you guys know.

It only does it if I let the wheel snap all the way to full lock though, but I hope it's just a matter of retightening some fasteners!