PDA

View Full Version : D2 COil-overs

Project D
05-26-2005, 09:21 AM
I was at the IAS this weekend in Atlantic City and D2 had a representative on hand with their product f0r both S13 and S14 chassis. Does anyone have these already? If so, how do they like them for track and for street driving? They appeared to be a very nice setup and seemed to be very high quality. To be honest, HKS had a booth on the other side and thier coil-overs seemed a little weak compared to these ones!! Just looking for some general input. The other coil-overs I was looking at were the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S type II or apexi N1 EXV. Looking at these due to adjustability factor. Thanks for all who have anything to say. Glad to be on the forum!

justinhustle
05-26-2005, 09:43 AM
I was at the IAS this weekend in Atlantic City and D2 had a representative on hand with their product f0r both S13 and S14 chassis. Does anyone have these already? If so, how do they like them for track and for street driving? They appeared to be a very nice setup and seemed to be very high quality. To be honest, HKS had a booth on the other side and thier coil-overs seemed a little weak compared to these ones!! Just looking for some general input. The other coil-overs I was looking at were the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S type II or apexi N1 EXV. Looking at these due to adjustability factor. Thanks for all who have anything to say. Glad to be on the forum!

hk$ looked weak next to d2 huh :keke:

ghostuss
05-26-2005, 09:46 AM

Flame on ppl. Anyone? Tasty "Project D" BBQ. :yum:

North240
05-26-2005, 09:56 AM
If you had bothered to use the "search" function you would have realizied there are exactly 1,364,916 240s with D2s and everyone agrees they are 1,000,000 times better then all other coilovers out there, especially HKS.

TheSpeedFactor
05-26-2005, 10:15 AM
We were there with D2 over the weekend too. Glad i got to meet Mike in person. Anyway, the D2 coilover is a good one. They did have some issues in the past but they have taken care of that and it's been great for us and all of our customers. They allow for fine tuning and work very well.

If you have any particular questions please let me know. We would be happy to help.

exitspeed
05-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Yea I'm still undecided between KTS, D2, and Megan...

justinhustle
05-26-2005, 10:29 AM
If you had bothered to use the "search" function you would have realizied there are exactly 1,364,916 240s with D2s and everyone agrees they are 1,000,000 times better then all other coilovers out there, especially HKS.

i highly doubt theyre even on the same planet as cusco tyvm or zeal or even tein

you sir are a dolt

exitspeed
05-26-2005, 10:31 AM
i highly doubt theyre even on the same planet as cusco tyvm or zeal or even tein

you sir are a dolt

:rofl: :rofl: :2f2f: :wavey:

pruto
05-26-2005, 11:30 AM
not sure about tein

but i agree. its funny that all of these people sporting taiwanese coilovers think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread and nothing else on the market can compare.

Giant Robot
05-26-2005, 11:35 AM
not sure about tein

but i agree. its funny that all of these people sporting taiwanese coilovers think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread and nothing else on the market can compare.

it's probably because it's their first glimpse of threaded coilovers as opposed to threaded sleeves like GC/Skunk2

TheSpeedFactor
05-26-2005, 12:05 PM
i wouldn't say they are the best but its been our experience that they are a quality product at a fair price. Also D2 upholds its responsibilities to its customers really well. Not alot of companies would do the things they have done in the time they have done it to keep their customers happy and to a buyer like me that is key when choosing who i do business with.

dvdevo
05-26-2005, 12:20 PM
oh wow, they let you try the hks and d2s? Anyways, search search.

biggie
05-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Its not that I think D2 is the greatest coilover ever made. But they are very good for the money (at least what I got them for, early in the game). I paid basically $100 more for D2s than I would have Eibachs and AGXs, they serve their purpose. Coilovers should not cost more than the car is worth IMO ($1500+ coilover setups).

Ian
05-26-2005, 01:36 PM
yeah for how much i paid for my Megan Racing coilovers? nothing can beat them

for quality..pretty much any real coilover can beat it with a baseball bat lol

for how much i had to spend, it was that or nothing so i got them. I'll upgrade to bigger and better when i get more money later

North240
05-26-2005, 03:59 PM

you sir are a dolt

I thought the excessive numbers i used would give away the sarcasm, i guess not......

MakotoS13
05-26-2005, 04:24 PM
i got the KTS coils on account of the nice middle ground between track and affordability. they ride really well and if you can spare the extra cash i say go for em.

worth every penny.

dvdevo
05-26-2005, 06:14 PM
i've learned my lesson to not cheap out on important parts. Just save up to save yourself a headache later on.

SochBAT
05-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Just cut your springs, and save up.
but then again... D2s are JDM BigCock crazy madtight.

dvdevo
05-26-2005, 06:32 PM
my d2's make me want to kill myself.

Project D
05-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Well, thanks for the input. I especially like the guys who would rather hate on me than the product. At any rate, I was looking at the D2 for the simple fact that it would give me the freedom of more adjustability and ultimately, a more fine-tuned suspension than that of the comparable priced brand name products. I am doing a search and I can't find anything on the apexi coil-overs that I named in my previous post. Like I said, I am just starting this project up so there is no rush on what I am buying, just trying to get a feel for the quality of the D2 coil-overs since I could buy them for $600, leaving me some money for some Battle Version tie rods and such. Some like them and some hate them, I still need more opinions. Thanks again.

Project D
05-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Just read dvdevo's post..........Do these things just ride like piss???

pruto
05-26-2005, 06:58 PM
mmm, can't find anything on the apexi EXV in a search? we had a huge disccussion on EXV vs Megan on this forum a month ago. Try harder.

Var
05-26-2005, 07:00 PM
i've ridden in a car with them. The shock valving in the rear on full stiff is hardly adequate for the 5k springs they were equipped with. Any other questions?

Project D
05-26-2005, 07:06 PM
westboroughpimp, were the Apexi coil-overs those of which you speak? I know that they are new to the market, so they may not have all the bugs worked out of them yet. Have you ever ridden in a car equipped with Tanabe Pro s-s type II? Other than that, I don't have any other questions right now.

Var
05-26-2005, 07:15 PM
sorry ..to clarify. i've ridden in D2's. Not the A'pex. You'd better believe a company like A'pex would have their shit sorted out BEFORE it hit the market. Not make something, use the first few hundred customers as test rats, then fix the problems. Although any reputable company can still make mistakes, there is a better chance you're gonna get a quality product.

I havent ridden in any car with Tanabe SS, but the Tanabe DD gets really good reviews from people that use them.

SochBAT
05-26-2005, 07:19 PM
I say, forget d2s, cuz they have that horrid problem of bending the shocks, and get MR coilovers.

many have gotten them, and say they are really good for entry level to moderate drifting. And for the price, its the best bang for the buck IMHO. And if i remember, MR coilovers = Apex World Sports.

Anyhow, Ksports/D2 sucks nuts. Didn't mean to step on your balls. nexttime, search. =)

Project D
05-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Awesome. So, the D2 blows ass and the Megan Racing is a little better. That helps me out. I have never had such an aftermarket support system for my car, since my previous car was a Cavalier. Anyways, thanks for the input. Feel free to keep writing your comments or write up which suspension you run and how you like it.

SochBAT
05-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Try searching up the Megan Racing coilover writeup. Jeff240 got a set, and tested them against some other coilovers. There are some pages of shittalking, but its worth the read.

Is this car straight track? or dailydriven also?

xagna
05-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Most of your opinion on D2 is that it is good for money. In what ways is it good for its price? Because it is lasting long or the performance?

SochBAT
05-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Search up D2 coilover reviews. They have been known to have blown/bent shocks after some time (fastest blown that i've known of was 1month). D2/KSports have the same coilovers from the same manufacturer, as do MeganRacing/Apexi. Does anyone know if Zeals are the same as SilkRoads from the same line?

Pretty much coilovers are the same, just with fancier stickers, and slight adjustment.

justinhustle
05-26-2005, 09:36 PM
good lord

coils are not the same with different adj/stickaz

all kinds of things vary on model levels between the same company let alone different ones.

if you want budget, get out of the car modding hobby, because there is no point in replacing stock parts that are engineered perfectly fine, for garbage like d2 or like ssautocrap.

if you mod your car, you should remember that an extra 100 dollar or even 50 could mean the difference in a bad accident or normal everyday wear and tear

publicenemy137
05-26-2005, 10:02 PM
yeah one of my D2 coilover seal blew, oil leaked all over. That was with the defective batch though. Not complaints on the replacement batch

AN89HATCH
05-26-2005, 10:21 PM
I have d2's and i have had no problems, I dont think they are garbage ive noticed most people that talk bad about them, never even owned them :down:

Project D
05-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Yeah this has been a hard one for me to decypher. Lots of people here hate the D2 and I don't expect them to be as good as some compatition Toda or Kei Office set-ups. However, I was thinking either them or the Megan Racing ones for the money because I will be taking this car to the track as well as driving it on the street. I didn't want to buy a set of Tanabe coil-overs that were more street than track given my budget, I wouldn't want to abuse a nice set of coils like that. Instead, I ahve been searching for a nice set of some comp. style coil-overs so I can drive both street and track. Some like the D2, others don't. The ones I saw were very impressive. The fact that Apexi and Megan Racing come from the same manu. doesn't hurt my chances of buying those at any stretch!! This looks like something to keep open for discussion for a while. Maybe others will get some insightful info on their own set-ups as well..............

SochBAT
05-26-2005, 11:17 PM
good lord

coils are not the same with different adj/stickaz

all kinds of things vary on model levels between the same company let alone different ones.

if you want budget, get out of the car modding hobby, because there is no point in replacing stock parts that are engineered perfectly fine, for garbage like d2 or like ssautocrap.

if you mod your car, you should remember that an extra 100 dollar or even 50 could mean the difference in a bad accident or normal everyday wear and tear

To really clarify myself, there are certain lines of coilovers that come off the same line, and get distributed to different companies. 4 companies that come to mind are 1)meganRacing, 2) Apexi 3) D2, 4)Ksports.

MeganRacing and Apexi both get their coilovers from the same company. I think the main difference was color, and oil.
D2 and Ksports come off the same line, ie. both companies having the same rear coilover problem.

better?

SochBAT
05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
MeganRacings coilovers are good for beginners, as previously stated.
Its adjustability is actually felt. Compare adjustability settings on Tein's coilovers and MR/Apex coilovers. i've driven my buddy's car with MRs and its pretty damn sweet for track n street. Gets close to stock ride.

And also, if you gave us a ballpark price on what you are willing to pay for, that'd greatly help.

kazuo
05-26-2005, 11:40 PM
http://www.splparts.com/Parts/S13/Suspension/Coilovers/default.asp

Too much effort for a simple solution.

You wanna ball on a budget? That's what you need.

Plus, $550 nets you a new set. Can't beat it.

Project D
05-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Wow, for 550 they are probably the best out there for the money. I am looking to spend no more than 1,000 on coil-overs. I was also looking at the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC, but they were not adjustable. I am not sure how these would be on a track setting, but I am searching after this post. I also was looking at the Sustec S-S type II, which were adjustable. I have many other suspension parts that I have accumulated already (all from Tanabe) and I was looking at getting a nice set of coil-overs to go with it. I have the subframe bushings, tranny bushings, front and rear strut bars, front fender bracing, and the under brace thus far. One main reason I was looking at Tanabe was the fact I had so many parts from them already, and they have always been a good quality brand. These MR coil-overs seem to be a pretty good deal, especially since they are made right alongside Apexi.

DTS
05-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I have d2's and i have had no problems, I dont think they are garbage ive noticed most people that talk bad about them, never even owned them :down:

exacally

d2 has new shocks out which are pimp shit

ive driven mine in -15 degree weather int he snow and they still didnt blow before i got the new redesigned shocks

everyone here talks alot of smack with no actuall expereance
:ugh:

Var
05-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Wow, for 550 they are probably the best out there for the money. .

they arent 550. they are a little over 1100. it's 550 for replacement shocks if they blow.

MakotoS13
05-27-2005, 04:01 PM
wtf? little over 1100?

BUY kTS COILOVERS FOR GOD'S SAKE!

what the hell is wrong with you people?

Project D
05-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Ah, I just read that. The KTS seems to be really nice. I'll probably end up doing a little more research though before I make up my mind. This car is not my daily driver, so I don't need something over-priced. However, I would like to have full adjustability freedom and the D2, Megan, and KTS do that for cheap. This will take some time, but I am thinking of doing one of those set-ups to move away from the norm.

HaLo
05-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Wait till i fit some Koni race inserts in my D2 housings, people that are bitching here and putting their JDM-hyped up brands will roll over.

D2s aren't great indeed, but I don't believe in Megan Racing, KTS, Apex, or any other JDM "drifting" coilover...

I do very well auto-xing with my D2s, with minimal efforts. We'll see how they can hold up on National Tour events.

Project D
05-29-2005, 12:12 AM
I figured that drifting would have been hard on any suspension, regardless of what brand it may be. However, I have heard that the new D2 is good for grip driving (auto X, etc..) same as the Megan and KTS. Sounds like I will just have to make up my mind and buy one. If we could get a group pruchase going on the D2, I would be down for something like that or for any of them on that note.

Project D
05-30-2005, 10:35 AM
If no one else has any input for this tpic, I thank the people that have given their .02. It has been very helpful.

MakotoS13
05-30-2005, 10:47 AM
D2s aren't great indeed, but I don't believe in Megan Racing, KTS, Apex, or any other JDM "drifting" coilover...

dude, i dont drift and have never bought anything due to a craze in my life. the coilovers i got are from a company that can have me a new set of shocks like next day for 500 or so. they also got me this set within 2 weeks.

KTS is not just a hyped up JDM brand. these things are really nice ESPECIALLY for 1200.

The Hamsterball
05-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Hrm....

well, my problem and other peoples' is.. now that all the group buys are over,
you can find this dampening system in typical performance parts shop for the same price as coilovers such as TEIN HE, Tanabe SUSTEC SS-II, KTS coilovers, and apex n1 EXV.

The lowest price i found searching on froogle was $1050.

I am not saying that deems it to be in the same class as the other coilovers aropund it's price range, but shit...... the price sure did go up.

You groupbuyers that got your sets for $700 shipped are lucky as hell (given that the coilover is doing well so far).

*sigh*
<-- hamsterball, who will probably buy KTS coilovers in a few months :-/

drift freaq
05-31-2005, 06:35 PM
clarifacation here folks, People keep saying the Megans are the same as the Apexi coilovers, but some of you need to understand, the Apexi coilovers that come off the same assembly line are the N1 EXV's . Not the N1 pro's . A certain Megan Racing distributor, running group buys here, was not explaining that to people and was price comparing the N1 Pros to the Megans. He was misleading people for the sake of sales.
That said , I too feel a lot of those so called Great Deal!! coilovers, have now risen up to the price levels of many of the regular JDM coilovers, thus making them not such a great deal.
If I were to think about the Megan's I would probably lean towards Apexi , Why? Apexi stands behind there products solidly. They have a rebuild facility right here in socal and they have great rebuild pricing. Megans you have to do a part swap or wait for a shipment.
I cannot say a lot about D2's or ksports/KTS. Though the idea of throwing Koni race inserts in a set of D2 housings rocks in my book. What would also rock is if you could replace the crap Taiwan springs that are on them with Eibach ERS race springs for coilovers. Why ? The eibach ERS spring is one of the best springs out there and two they are available in 25 lb increments meaning you tune the daylights out of your spring rates.
Halo,I challenge you to look into this , that is if I don't beat you to it :D hahahhahahhahhahhaha

Var
05-31-2005, 06:50 PM
I cannot say a lot about D2's or ksports/KTS. Though the idea of throwing Koni race inserts in a set of D2 housings rocks in my book. What would also rock is if you could replace the crap Taiwan springs that are on them with Eibach ERS race springs for coilovers. Why ? The eibach ERS spring is one of the best springs out there and two they are available in 25 lb increments meaning you tune the daylights out of your spring rates.
Halo,I challenge you to look into this , that is if I don't beat you to it :D hahahhahahhahhahhaha

can you tell me how this would make sense? at this point you're better off just buying ground controls and koni race shocks, or ground control with advance design. Or just some Tanabe's or something good out of the box.
You're gonna be left with D2 camber plates...wtf?

HaLo
05-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Actually, Koni race inserts are double adjustable (rebound and damping) at very reasonable price (around 250-300$/each) and are valves for springs that can toleration over 1000lb/in springs.
ERS are around 60$/each. The point is to use the D2 housing to fit the Koni race insert to have a real coilover design, not a crappy Ground Control over a Koni shock.

The good: you keep the camber plates, pillowball mounts, threaded sleeves for real height adjustment without preloading of springs. Koni is a race proven damper that will take a lot of abuse and is rebuildable to custom specs in North America.

The bad: Costs a lot if that was your plan all along. It's pretty cheap if you replace the blown D2 dampers after 1 year of usage...

I happen to have 4 spare dampers to work on. I just need time and a little money to investigate the Koni solution. I personnally think that a Koni race insert + Eibach race spring on a real coilover design can beat most 2000$ coilover on the market.

TheSpeedFactor
05-31-2005, 10:38 PM
folks, you really need to dry the D2 with these new shocks. they are great. they feel solid, don't make any noise and provide a very consistant feel.

Project D
05-31-2005, 10:40 PM
The D2 sounds like a decent setup for someone not making a daily driver. The KTS also looks really impressive. The Megan racing setup is nice, but it cannot be easily re-built from what I have found. Correct me on that if I am wrong..........

HaLo
05-31-2005, 10:40 PM
folks, you really need to dry the D2 with these new shocks. they are great. they feel solid, don't make any noise and provide a very consistant feel.

I have D2s with new dampers. They replaced mine.

They are still a bit underdamped and bouncy on an Auto-X / Road race course. I am still not 100% satisfied of the quality of their dampers.

They aren't noisy though.

Project D
05-31-2005, 11:00 PM
I am leaning towards D2 if ther could be a group purchase for them somehow. The quality looked A-1 and they are a good value for the money