PDA

View Full Version : Just wanna confirm this is the right LSD

exitspeed
05-19-2005, 01:00 PM
I just got it today. I ordered it from a guy on here. He was really cool with the whole thing. I got it for $250 shipped.

I just wanna make sure it's the right thing and is gonna work.

It's a J30VLSD. Heres some pics. Oh and it's going on my 90 hatch.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/LSD001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/exitspeed/LSD002.jpg

TheSparo
05-19-2005, 01:16 PM
you need 5 star axels to bolt it up, your 240has 2x3 set of bolts, i just swapped mine, so what you will need to do it swap the diff cover with yours and get new axels...

exitspeed
05-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Are you talking about the halfshafts? I'm getting those too. He had to send'em in different boxes.

TheSparo
05-19-2005, 04:29 PM
i thought the half shafts were the peices inside the diff that are already in there? anyway, if he is sending you the "things" that atatch to the outside it should be fine then, just make sure when you turn one side, the other turns the same way
-Jeff

orion::S14
05-20-2005, 07:18 AM
"Output shafts" are part of the diff...

"Half shafts" are the axles...

And that diff looks fine...just like any other '93-94 J30 diff.

- Brian

drift freaq
05-20-2005, 07:24 AM
they are usually reffered to as output flanges, because of the fact that the shaft part resides in the differential and the flange side is exposed.
in some cases people do call them output shafts. Yes half shafts are axles and the terminology is completely correct. Yes people do mix up the terminology of half shafts and output shafts. That is why the terminology of output flanges being correct is also clearer thus eliminating confusion.

exitspeed
05-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Cool thanx guys. My mind is at ease.

killjoy
05-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Just a note to anyone selling an LSD. These are more than you think to ship. The LSD itself was about 90 bucks and the axles were 25 more. The pumpkin weighs about 90 pounds. The axles were 38 pounds. Use these figures when you figure out the shipping costs from the website so you don't go in the hole on an item.

TheSparo
05-20-2005, 09:26 AM
oh yea, did he send you the bolts along with it? because you will need longer bolts that go through the bushings in front, i was lucky enough to remember to ask the guys at the junk yard to passs me the bolts haha, and my bad about the trminology thing, kinda drew a blank
good luck, the install isn't hard, the diff is just damn heavy and awkward putting it in...

Agent_S13
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
oh yea, did he send you the bolts along with it? because you will need longer bolts that go through the bushings in front, i was lucky enough to remember to ask the guys at the junk yard to passs me the bolts haha, and my bad about the trminology thing, kinda drew a blank
good luck, the install isn't hard, the diff is just damn heavy and awkward putting it in...

You can order them from the dealer too (as it was the case for me). $7.50/each from Nissan or $13.XX/each from Infiniti. Don't ask, same damn part # too.

There's a thread on it somewhere here on Zilvia.

Couldn't find a comparable bolt in my local hardware stores. No big deal though. S13 bolts are too short and won't work.

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe

orion::S14
05-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Cut-and-paste:

"You will also need 2 longer mounting bolts for the S13 chassis, and 2 large washers for the front mounts...to be used with the large bushings on the front mounts.

They are M12 X 1.25 thread/pitch, 85mm long..."

From my webpage at: www.ka24development.com/vlsd.html

Any ACE hardware should have 'em.

- Brian

exitspeed
05-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Holy crap guys thanx for the help. It's good to know this stuff now. So I didn't get my old one off and try and put the J30 on and not have the stuff I need at 11 o clock at night.

BTW thanx again Killjoy. YOU RAWK.