PDA

View Full Version : Installing Sard Injectors. ( I searched) Problems with fit

agrabau
05-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi everyone. I did a search but didn't find anything definitive.

I purchased some Sard side feed 850cc injectors brand new with collar kit and now I'm having trouble seeing how these are going to fit.

The yellow tip seems to be not seating at the bottom of the fuel injector swirl pot. I've pushed and prodded with lube but nothing still. I don't want to break them.

Furthermore, the seals seem to be undersized on the main body of the injector. The O ring floats in space which seems strange given that they are new with an "adapter kit" that doesn't seem to adapt them at all.

Any advice much appreciated on this matter. Please share.

Alex

boosteds14
05-14-2005, 07:36 AM
we just installed some on a customer's car like 10mins. ago...you need to use the stock upper o-ring. the ones that come with it are too small and will not seal.

agrabau
05-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Any modifications to the yellow tip needed? I'll have to order some new O rings I guess. Do you have the part number by chance?

Thanks so much for any info.

agrabau
05-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Here's pic one...

agrabau
05-14-2005, 12:54 PM
pic two.. the verniers in pic one are set to the diameter of the swirl pot. Note the large gap (about .125" on the diameter)

agrabau
05-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Bump for some help guys. Thanks. Wondering if I have to force these in and which O rings I need to order. I've experienced tight O ring press fits before but this seems excessive for the sealing of 100psi.

anthony240
05-15-2005, 11:15 PM
looks exactly like FD rx-7 850 injectors
"...you just need to make the ridge of the tip smaller.
Kinda hard to explain - anyway, the bit of the tips that become larger in diameter,
will probably be a bit too big to be pushed down to the bottom of the surge tank,
so we sanded it off (and clean it up carefully before you stick it in!!) making it fit fine to the bottom.
You'll get what I mean when you try sticking the 850ccs in the fuel rail, don't worry.

from: http://www.nissansilvia.co.nz/tech/howtouse13B20Binjectors/howtouse13B20Binjectors.htm

good luck.

agrabau
05-16-2005, 06:58 AM
Unfortunately that's not the case.

Since it seems like this is an unpopular modification due to lack of feedback/information I'll take time to note what I found.

There is no way that this takes 10 minutes.

Fitting the connectors to the injector harness....

First, you have to use the supplied connectors and the molex pins. You must strip the wires back, install the molex pins and solder them for added security. With the small rubber grometts slid on first, secure the pins and keep the end of the gromett/seal tucked under the last clasp of the molex pin to secure it. Press the pins into the connectors until you hear a snap.

At this point the injector harness is done but the damn injector clips won't clip onto the injectors. The clip on the harness will press onto the injector and bottom out against the rail right before it clips into place. You will have to cut a small radius into the connector to allow it to slide on further and butt-face the fuel rail without hitting.

After about an hour of soldering and pinning you are now ready to install the injectors.

Contrary to popular belief the yellow cap on the end of the injector does not need to be shaved to any given diameter. This is proven because without any O ring seals on the injector, and collar installed, the injector seats perfectly. With the o rings installed the injector is nearly a no-go. It's almost impossible to press them into the swirl pots.

What I did first was to buy injector O rings from a 300zx TT (i only bought the upper, larger diameter ones. The part number is 16618-10V05 from Nissan. I suppose that this would be the same o ring as used stock on the SR20det. These at least look the part. The upper limit of the injector is now sealed against the collar.

I retained the bottom O ring that came with the injectors. This is a crap-shoot because I feel that they are too large in thickness to seat well. I haven't started the car yet but the injectors are in tight.

The only way to get them into the pots all the way was to use the injector cap and screw it down slowly to push the injector in. I pressed it in and then took it out to check for inteferences and there were none which reaffirms that the lower o ring is most likely too large for this application.

You must also cut the rubber spacer between the aluminum cap and the injector in half or the fit is so tight once completely screwed on that the aluminum cap will crack.

That's all I have for now. I scoured 4 forums for information on this only to get answers based on websearches, nothing first hand other than "they drop right in" which they clearly do not.

SequenceGarage
05-25-2005, 09:42 AM
All I did to make them fit was:

1) Take the SARD Injector cap and put it up the injector

2) Take the stock rubber o-ring the big one and slide it up above the SARD oring, just under the SARD metal ring

3) Remove the rubber that was left on the injector caps from the old injectors (may or may not be there on yours)

4) Screw the caps down (this will seat the injector all the way into the rail) tighten one side half way, then the other going back and fourth so that it seats evenly (obviously)

5) Cut a bit of the injector clips taht are included so they will clip on, otherwise they hit the fuel rail.

6) Re-tighten all the injector hats as once the injectors seat the screws become a little loose and can be re-torqued.

I tried it first without the o-rings and fuel went everywhere when we turned the fuel pump on, put the o-rings in and no leaks, shes beauty.

Rich Druash
10-02-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm having a horrible time trying to get mine to fit, I've tried both sets of O-rings and my car still won't start. I could definately use some help right now.