PDA

View Full Version : HUD question

s14unimog
05-07-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a quick question about the heads up display unit on a 91 coupe. I got a coupe about 3 weeks ago and I have finally gotten around to working on it. my first question is....
1. when does the HUD unit turn on, (acc., on, etc.)
2. Are there common problems with the hud's that would lead to it not
turning on?
3. And the window I assume was relplaced b/c the green reflective square is gone, so what or where can I get a replacement for it?

Basically I just turned the car on the first time and there are no green numbers in the dash so this is trouble shooting 101 for me. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brandon

KiDyNomiTe
05-07-2005, 09:11 PM
1. It turns on ACC and should always be on unless you press the button under the regualr digital display in the cluster.
2. Lots of HUDs dont work, search around and you'll see why.
3. Windshield is not that important. You can see the numbers w/o it at night or when its decently dark. Or just buy window film tint from 3M.

If you want I have a working cluster and HUD for sale.

black s13
05-07-2005, 09:34 PM
it turns on with ON, not ACC.

mines worked fine since the day i jacked it off my friends car, but i know many dont.

s14unimog
05-07-2005, 10:16 PM
so your telling me it is an problem with the selfcontained cluster its self? More than likely...
how much for your HUD cluster also...

SochBAT
05-08-2005, 03:54 AM
I've got the HUD in my car. Didn't come on my car, so i just threw in the cluster, and the HUD itself is catching dust on my closet shelf. For me, it comes on at ACC. Your hud might not work cuz you might not have the HUD harness (?), but thats just my guess. My other buds have said that sometimes the HUD sends back a stronger elec. current and surges itself out. Willing to buy a working HUD, cluster, and wiring?

s14unimog
05-08-2005, 07:37 AM
well its a 91 SE coupe so i'm assuming it came with HUD teh cluster is coming out today for further inspection. but let me know how much you want for the cluster.

Brandon

Terminus2k
05-08-2005, 08:35 PM
I was wondering, is it obvious if you have the harness? b/c my car has that square laminate in the windshield so that means it had to have been factory. I looked at my wires today that go to the speed sensor and apparently some one cut the wires and spliced them back together without wraping them, so maybe that has something to do with my heads up not working. Still searching for the issue....

SochBAT
05-08-2005, 10:57 PM
yea, there are 2 small plugs that go into the cluster and HUD.