PDA

View Full Version : Brake on HIghway = violent shake

ghostuss
05-03-2005, 03:32 PM
This is for a friend's 94 Accord. He told me his car does this sometimes(like 1 in 4 times) when he steps on the brake (even a little bit) on highway, his steering shakes violently. He just had new pads just recently but didn't have a rotor change for awhile. I am suspecting it needs new rotor. Or might be powersteering problem. If you guys have better input, please post here.

Ritz S14
05-03-2005, 04:03 PM
The rotors in those cars are pressed, and it wont be a fun job. If you're driving above 50mph, they should shake all the time, not 1 in 4 times. You could have them turned with an on car lathe, but who knows how long the rotors will last after being turned.

Warped rotors, steering and front end will shake. If it has been in an accident, you may need a front end alignment.

Yoshi
05-03-2005, 04:35 PM
a friend of mine has one of those, apparently the rotors are undersized for the car to begin with, and they are prone to overheat/warpage :(

My friend and his wife went thru 3 sets of rotors in a year once, the car was sold shortly thereafter, they got a WRX and have been happy since ;)

Inland180
05-03-2005, 05:32 PM
resurface rotors or just buy new ones!

ghostuss
05-03-2005, 10:24 PM
The rotors in those cars are pressed, and it wont be a fun job. If you're driving above 50mph, they should shake all the time, not 1 in 4 times. You could have them turned with an on car lathe, but who knows how long the rotors will last after being turned.

Warped rotors, steering and front end will shake. If it has been in an accident, you may need a front end alignment.

I have never serviced an Accord before. You said it's hard to remove the Rotor. Exactly what kind of a job I am gonna be looking at? I think I am gonna get new rotor for my friend. Of course he has to pay for the rotor. I am just trying to help some poor college friends out.

s13gonwild
05-03-2005, 10:31 PM
rotors are warped, dont bother resurfacing, it wont fix it get new ones.

AllenRPS13
05-04-2005, 12:20 AM
mostly rotor problem, just change it

Ritz S14
05-04-2005, 12:41 AM
I have never serviced an Accord before. You said it's hard to remove the Rotor. Exactly what kind of a job I am gonna be looking at? I think I am gonna get new rotor for my friend. Of course he has to pay for the rotor. I am just trying to help some poor college friends out.

The rotors aren't like most cars, where you remove the caliper and the rotor will slide out. For some Hondas, You'll need to remove the front hubs and press the rotors out. I don't remember the exact process, since it's been while I last worked on one.

ghostuss
05-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Can anyone shoot me up with a link to the process? I am almost entirely sure his rotor is gonna be one of those pressed out kind, where you removie the entire hub. It's gonna be a pain in the ass to do it, and having some kind of guide would be so much easier.

infinitexsound
05-05-2005, 01:34 AM
warped rotor, i had that problem.. switched to z32 problem fixed... u might want to ask this question at honda-tech... theyll give u the directions..

ghostuss
05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
ok I know it's warpped rotor now. BUT how do I replace the accord rotor (the press in type)? I have only done 240sx/300zx rotors which is really ez to remove.