PDA

View Full Version : Top Mount Turbo?

Carlwill
04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I am considering a new turbo and I was being told that top mount is nice but will require a new manifold - and usually they are prone to cracking or some other thing that will get expensive and annoying.

Are there any downsides to going top mount and how likely is the turbo manifold going to crack on me if I get a top mounted turbo?

I am just trying to find the best recommended turbo manifold that will allow me to bolt a top mount turbo & not crack on me. I am looking at 300WHP goals for my setup.

Thanks for any advice...

fliprayzin240sx
04-25-2005, 08:01 PM
If your just shooting for 300 whp...just get a drop in turbo up grade that uses the stock manifold. depending on what else is you have on your engine, a S15 turbo might just do the trick or for a bit more, GT2871r turbo. Just make sure you upgrade your maf and injectors.

But if you still decide to go with a top mount, check enjukuracing. They they a prefab kit with a T3/T4 turbo top mount kit. The manifold they use looks pretty sturdy, dont think itll crack. If your paranoid bout it, 2 things you can do, keep the engine from torquing side ways *better engine mounts* and have a muffler shop hook your downpipe up with a flex-pipe to give your manifold a bit of play. Only downside with the top mount is that the turbo sits so close to the power steering reservoir. You might wanna either relocate it or wrap the turbo to keep it from melting or cooking the fluid.

SILVIA_KIDs14.5
06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
i got a question done some research on it couln't find much but has anyone had clearance issues with a top mount t3/t4 turbo set up ?

ECR33S14
06-20-2007, 10:53 AM
yeah if all you want is 300 id use an S15 turbo so you dont have to change much. but if you do want to go top mount im running a good old fashioned EBay manifold on my car with a T-67 mounted on top of it and it has held fantastically so far.

S14DB
06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I got a question, why would someone bump a 2yr old thread?