PDA

View Full Version : blowthrough vs recirculating

jononioo
04-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Ok, im working on a future setup for my 96 s14 and i am at a cross roads! I know a recirculating setup would be better for my car than a blowthrough setup, but i kinda want that loud sound of a bov. If i setup a blow through system on my car what will be the advantages/disadvantages of this setup? Is a blwothrough setup even worth the trouble? Should i just not bother with it?

ghostuss
04-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Open bov is really not that bad. They only run a bit rich between shifts due to lost of air. They are worth to get for protecting ur turbo.

sdtouge
04-24-2005, 02:52 PM
also at idle, but if you are gonna run atmosphereic get the hks ssqv, you can tighten it so it wont leak as much.

goodjuan
04-24-2005, 07:07 PM
with an open element air filter, you will be able to hear your bov and even wastegate noises much more. I only have a stock airbox with holes cut in the lower portion and it's plenty loud.

cheez80
04-24-2005, 11:06 PM
hi, please realize that blowthrough refers to a mafs setup. the more correct term for your bov would be "open bov" or "open atmospheric bov" or "VTA bov" or any other combo of those terms.

SR240DET
04-25-2005, 12:51 PM
ka or sr?

sr you will be fine... KA you need safc and can run pullthrough mafs... or run blowthrough mafs.... then you will be fine..

open atmospheric bov on a blow through mafs setup... you get to have a cool noise... if you could care less like me and looking for the best running setup then just recirculate your BOV and run a pull through mafs setup...

BlazedGlory
04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
hi, please realize that blowthrough refers to a mafs setup. the more correct term for your bov would be "open bov" or "open atmospheric bov" or "VTA bov" or any other combo of those terms.

I assumed that he actually was referring to a blowthrough maf setup... and nobody actually answered his question? Or did he just not know what blowthrough maf meant?

I actually want to run a blowthrough setup, but I'm kind of worried about it... I guess I could just give it a try =P...

Raysurc
04-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Woah WoaH WOAH!!!! can someone please tell me what we're talking about here? i dont understand it at all?!?! what do these two systems do of which he speaks of?

Carlwill
04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Its the noise you hear in between shifts...

vrooooom.....pshhhhhhhhh.....vroooooom/

BlazedGlory
04-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Its the noise you hear in between shifts...

vrooooom.....pshhhhhhhhh.....vroooooom/

the vroooom or the pshhhhhhhh?

:mrmeph:

Raysurc
04-25-2005, 11:02 PM
but what are the benefits of each system?

SR240DET
04-26-2005, 07:02 PM
only benefit is the noise... do you want BOV noise or minimal/non.. .hahahhahahahhahaha :rofl: :jerkit:

goodjuan
04-26-2005, 07:07 PM
having it vent to the atmosphere requires less plumbing...less places to leak

SR240DET
04-26-2005, 07:43 PM
not calling you a idiot.... but im sure one 6-12 inch hose wouldnt be that much of a hassle... just for better drivability....

Var
04-26-2005, 08:23 PM
not having a BOV is worthless if you have a turbo. this is coming from a guy who's almost ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS function over form, but if your car dont go pshhhhh really loud, just give up .

evilimport
04-27-2005, 03:33 AM
In case any of you guys dont know what a blow through MAFS setup is...its placing the mass air flow meter in the intercooler piping (cold side, after intercooler) as opposed to have it traditionally mounted in the intake piping after the filter element....