PDA

View Full Version : too close to manifold?

mjjstang
04-23-2005, 07:59 PM
hey just wondering is there such thing as being too close to the exhaust manifold, the coupler and outlet is about 3/8 or mabye less away from the manifold, will this cause any problem, I dont want to reclock because I would like the flow to have as little bend as possible and If I make more parralell to the ground then I have to do more bends and stuff. thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/mjjstang/turbomanifold.jpg

also I think to ease the headaches, I may want to take this to a shop to get the pipes made, I know I can make some nice duct tape work on the intake, but the hot pipe is what Im worried about, any way you guys think I could fab something that would last to go to a shop. can I just make some crappy looking pipe and duct tape around it a lot and just not boost?

on a side note, wasnt the gt2871r supposed to be pretty much a direct bolt up except for the lines.? maybe not.

ghostuss
04-23-2005, 08:38 PM
get that heat thermal wrap. Problem solved.

v8blakdak
04-23-2005, 09:26 PM
if u can , ceramic coat that iron manifold. maybe do some port work to it too. also make sure they coat the inside too. then use the wrap if u have too.

mjjstang
04-23-2005, 09:34 PM
hmm I could get the stock one coated as long as it was blasted, right? also couldnt there be a chance that the coating might come off some time and kill the turbo, if its coated inside? also if inside is coated it wont retain the heat inside which is good for flow, so wouldnt it be detrimental to coat the inside of it. enough of that, what should I do about getting the car to the shop with my pipes being like 4 inches apart. ?

v8blakdak
04-24-2005, 03:48 AM
ya blasted etc. the shop will do the prep work. outside/inside coating is no big deal bc when they run the charge thru the item and shoot the powder it pretty much sticks to 100% of the surface. the coating is awesome, it will reduce underhood temps by a bunch and keep everything looking like new. my headers were coated 14 months ago and look brand new. also try not to go to a shop, have a buddy come over with a welder and make u the piping etc. also get the turbo coated, both sides. how hot do they get? jet hot has a 2000F ceramic coating.

v8blakdak
04-25-2005, 12:11 AM
c'mon guys, please stop reading the bodykit threads and answer some real questions. anyone?

eyustfu
04-25-2005, 12:14 AM
weld on a pipe directly to the turbo, one less coupler to worry about blowing off etc, what my buddy did to his set up

mjjstang
04-25-2005, 01:49 AM
but how am i going to get this thing to a place that welds aluminum. I know a guy who welds steel but for aluminum i need to take it to a shop.

Flybert
04-25-2005, 02:45 AM
There is no problem with that setup at all. As long as the coupling is made of silicone that is designed for high temperatures, it will work fine.

cheez80
04-25-2005, 10:55 AM
get that heat thermal wrap. Problem solved.

baker precision in signal hill, ca, sells the "c&r racing/enjuku drift car spl" gold reflective film. you can also get it directly from c&r.

but looking at your setup, it doesn't look like there'll be any problems.

good luck!

v8blakdak
05-27-2005, 05:10 PM
but how am i going to get this thing to a place that welds aluminum. I know a guy who welds steel but for aluminum i need to take it to a shop.

so if you know a guy that welds steel... fvukin use him then! pay for materials and beer and let him make you A ENTIRE HOT PIPE FROM SS. then DRILL A HOLE IN IT, HAVE HIM WELD IN A BUNG NUT AND SCREW IN YOUR BOV TO THAT. BAM DONE thank you m'am AND U DONT HAVE TO SLACKJAW DRIVE THE 240 AT IDLE TO GET TO SOME OVERCHARGING SHOP SO THEY CAN ADD 2 MORE INCHES TO YOUR CURRENT HOT PIPE FOR 2OO DOLLARS.

but gosh oMg you're gonna have a ss hotpipe and aluminum cold pipe gosh we cant have that situation now people might laf at it dgl;ajkplerjhklrjhkladfhh\dhadh

fvuck this god damn forum, im going bowling

BillKlineVT
05-27-2005, 06:53 PM
you will be FINE with that coupler there. If you want extra peace of mind, get some of that thermal tape and wrap it around the coupler to insulate it from the heat. I have run that setup on both my t25 gt2871r with the ssauto mani that puts out more heat than that cast iron mani and my coupler is fine, has been ever since I threw the t25 on back in october. (mine is on a KA, but same location nontheless).