PDA

View Full Version : quality rattle can paint job?

S13 Charlie
04-13-2005, 11:44 AM
I have a question that I hope you guys can help me with.. I have a jacked up, peeled-paint front bumper. I've gotten it quoted around 250 bucks to repaint. Seeing as the rest of my car is not perfect, I don't really want to go this route. I'm thinking of doing the bumper at my place, with a "close-enough" color rattle can. I'm going to try to do it right though. (primer, sand, color, sand, etc..) Has anyone done this with decent results? With the right prep. and technique, can rattle cans deliver a "good enough" finish? Anyway, throw in your experiences, I'd like to hear them.

cheers,
C

sr240mike
04-13-2005, 11:48 AM
As long as you can match the paint pretty good you should not have a problem. Sand as much of the area around the peeling as possible to make the area the same level as the old paint, prime, sand, paint, color sand, clearcoat, polish to a shiny finish.

amolao
04-13-2005, 01:12 PM
The most important part is going to be the prep before painting, I have done different parts of my car with Duplicolor with awesome results. Make sure that area is clean, sanded and primered....then spray many light coats of paint, this is going to take a while so take your time. Wait for each coat of paint to dry, and stop until you get to the point where the paint is shiny and glossy after drying...specially if using Duplicolor paint. I never done urethane bumpers, only metal areas but you should get some nice results, Im not sure how long it will hold, being that is not the apropiate paint for "plastic"....

Inland180
04-13-2005, 02:21 PM
I know someone in the 909 area that will paint your bumper for alot cheaper than $250.. This guy does a great job too. if you interested let me know. [email protected]

papershot
04-13-2005, 02:40 PM
krylon works good and is cheap ($3 a can).

use some sort of graffiti tip (ny fats or german fats etc)

get a good rubbing compound and polish and take your time on that step, its the hardest imo.

clearcoat spraypaint doesn't do shit either. don't use it.

420sx
04-13-2005, 03:42 PM
quality rattle can paint job

:bowrofl: yea....... :hahano:

S14DB
04-13-2005, 03:53 PM
$250 is way high. I got mine done for $160 and that was at one of the more pricey places in town. Now you can see yourself in my bumper and the rest of my car sucks.

Rusker
04-13-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm going to attempt to repaint my engine bay with the OEM color in a rattlecan.

http://www.paintscratch.com/

I've ordered one can and will try it out and see how good it looks. I'm not looking for anything near the OEM finish, but something that looks descent and will last awhile. My car is white so the engine bay has a few spots I cannot get clean from leaking fluids over time.

I should be getting the paint within a week.

007jpang
04-13-2005, 07:40 PM
shit im about to paint my whole car with rattle cans...what everyone said but use 2000 grid sand paper to sand the primer anything more is useless cause it's a rattle can.

also sand with a low grid and work your way up to a higher grid...

this is also a good site

http://www.autobody101.com/

john

Blues13
04-13-2005, 08:11 PM
I'd recommend doing the prep work yourself and bringing it to a shop to get painted. I've gotten a quality paint job for the bumper for $100, so $250 is high. You're not gonna get good results with a rattlecan clearcoat.

infinitexsound
04-13-2005, 10:12 PM
1 word "maaco" single stage, 325 da prep.... like 600 bucks..... and its complete..... dont expect to paint a car with a rattle can expecting it to match... it rarely never does... theres plenty of maaco shops everywhere... if u do decide a single stage decide on a solid color with NO metallics. reason for that is that u can sand it flat and polish it to get a oem look.. hope that helps guys...

kazuo
04-13-2005, 11:51 PM
The match is VERY close. As long as you use even strokes, sand evenly and clear it, you can hardly tell the difference.

I used it on my car, got the cans from the same shop (its local so I just walked in and bought it), and you could hardly tell the rattlecan from the original paint, except for the obvious fact that the rattlecan wasnt shiny as the oem paint. :P

I'm going to attempt to repaint my engine bay with the OEM color in a rattlecan.

http://www.paintscratch.com/

I've ordered one can and will try it out and see how good it looks. I'm not looking for anything near the OEM finish, but something that looks descent and will last awhile. My car is white so the engine bay has a few spots I cannot get clean from leaking fluids over time.

I should be getting the paint within a week.

struka
04-14-2005, 09:51 AM
speaking of painting cars...how do u paint around the inside of the mirrors? do u just take out the side mirror and paint it on the inside and just put it back in? or tape it off?