PDA

View Full Version : my shifter rocks violently, just changed trans mount too?

swiftsytles
04-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Sup, bought the car couple months ago with the shifter rocking like a bobble head. Especially when I go over ruff areas on the freeway. Well Inspected my trans mount ant it was shot. I replaced it yesterday thinking it would fix the problem but it didnt. It still rocks like mad. Is there some kind of shifter bushing needed to replace for it to not move or is this normal on 240s?

sr240mike
04-13-2005, 11:56 AM
There a plastic bushing on the end of the shifter that goes into the tranny, might wanna pull that out an check it.

MikeFD3S
04-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Crazy shaking like that makes me think that the engine mounts are shot to hell, causing the engine to twist excessively. even with new tranny mounts, bad engine mounts will cause a lot of shaking. Check the easy fixes first though with the shifter bushing.

If its the engine mounts, Kazama makes a solid engine mount, but you'd probably have to wait awhile cuz it's special order only

http://www.more-japan.com/xcart/catalog/Kazama_Auto_SPL_Solid_Engine_Mount-p-16248.html

Maeda
04-13-2005, 06:13 PM
If its the engine mounts, Kazama makes a solid engine mount, but you'd probably have to wait awhile cuz it's special order only

http://www.more-japan.com/xcart/catalog/Kazama_Auto_SPL_Solid_Engine_Mount-p-16248.html

Or you can fill them window weld urethane with a caulking gun.

jOeHaCk98
04-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Doesnt he want LESS shaking. OE

MikeFD3S
04-13-2005, 06:54 PM
he said he wanted less shaking of the shifter ;) he didnt say if he minded a vibrating chassis hehe

theres a lot of weird things to stop the shifter from shaking on the 240. It's probably the only car i've ever seen that has that much play and motion of the shifter. it's almost phallic

swiftstyles
04-13-2005, 09:35 PM
theres a lot of weird things to stop the shifter from shaking on the 240. It's probably the only car i've ever seen that has that much play and motion of the shifter. it's almost phallic

Yea im gonna check out my motor mounts, any tips on ways to tell if the motor mounts are shot?

sr240mike
04-14-2005, 11:23 AM
While stopped with foot on brake put car in 3rd gear and let out clutch until it catches. Have a friend look at the engine and see if it lifts excessively.

lilredstiffy
04-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Its pretty easy to just jack up the engine by the tranny bellhousing at the front and take a look at how the mounts look. Blown mounts will look very torn up.

2JZGTE
04-14-2005, 03:04 PM
You can also just grab onto the intake mani runners and try your hardest to move the engine back and forth. My oem engine mounts allowed a little movement. I installed nismo engine and tranny mounts, and now I can't get any sort of movement from the engine by grabbing onto it and shaking. Good luck.

aznpoopy
04-14-2005, 03:11 PM
yet another way to check: open the hood and have a buddy stand in front of the car. start the car. if the mounts are shot the motor will flop back and forth like it wants to jump out of the car during start up.

swiftsytles
04-14-2005, 05:15 PM
yet another way to check: open the hood and have a buddy stand in front of the car. start the car. if the mounts are shot the motor will flop back and forth like it wants to jump out of the car during start up.

will bad motor mounts cause a clunking noise cuz I hear it when I come to a stop in the front area?

sil80drifter
04-16-2005, 02:18 PM
perhaps, but it'd be a good idea to check your tie rods, tension rods, and sway bar links/bushings. when suspensions parts wear down they tend to excessively move/make noise under hard acceleration'braking.

sil80