PDA

View Full Version : how do you install your tranny?

tak-
04-11-2005, 05:51 PM
i just spent the last...well...about an hour trying to get my tranny up and i have had 0 luck.

It is a pretty tight squeeze to lift it up balanced, so I seem to be forced to let the ass end sit on the ground and lift the front up...but that bitch is heavy. I layed under it and pushed up till the bottoms mated, and hoped the input shaft was close to my clutch...but every time i would go to work with it, the mf'er would fall down.

balancing the tranny on a jack seems to have fitment issues, the top of hte bellhousing hits the underbody of the car, specifically where the hole for the starter is.

Im sure i could probably drop the engine crossmember, but i have the jack stands somewhere under there, and they are in a nice and secure place. I would hate to have to move them.

thanks

projectRDM
04-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Unbolt the exhaust, this allows the motor to rotate towards the firewall. Now laying under the car, wrap one arm around the downpipe and pull down, take your other arm and use your chest to lift the transmission into place, keep rotating it a little as you go in. If the disc is properly aligned it slides right in, I've never had one that didn't.

holisticbeatz
04-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Its easier to take things apart than to put them back together.

When I did a clutch on my S14, I had my friends help me.

Essentially what I did was jack the tranny up as support and my friends both bench pressed it back in. It takes a jiggle and wiggle to get it in there. Make sure its clear so nothing snags the tranny. If you got it out, then theres gotta be a way to get it back in.

If you did a clutch job, make sure the clutch alignment tool is out. Thats a no brainer.. I forget once and I felt like an ass when I realized it.

tak-
04-11-2005, 06:47 PM
lol R420NA, you must be a big guy. I am not that big but i am pretty strong, and that thing weighs a ton!
I can throw it around like a toy outside of the car, but as soon as you get down on the ground its weight seems to multiply. I have caught wind that installing it upside down may work, and then turning it 180 to the correct side. any thoughts on this?

orion::S14
04-11-2005, 07:31 PM
R240NA is a big guy...and gets his strength by benchpressing high-school cheerleaders...it really is impressive!

:P

But he's dead on...tilt engine back using the downpipe, and lift it up in place. And I have also found that rotation helps sometimes...rotate about 90*, make the starter hole point straight down.

- Brian

NemeGuero
04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
assuming he has a downpipe.. assuming it's SR and not KA
for KA..
just spin it 180 degress like you said.. have one person hold the ass end up and you get your chest under the front bellhousing, push it up and in, and then rotate it back to it's 'normal' position

projectRDM
04-11-2005, 09:29 PM

Both motors have downpipes. In fact, all motors do. It's the piece between the manifold and the resonator. Smart guy.

Dream240
04-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Both motors have downpipes. In fact, all motors do. It's the piece between the manifold and the resonator. Smart guy.

:werd: heh....are you sure there's a downpipe on KAs? I mean if there's a downpipe....then where is it, I've never seen anything labeled "downpipe"...? :loco: :bash:

sr20tom
04-12-2005, 12:13 AM
unbolt the exhaust and put a larger stick to the front of the motor so it tilts down and lift it up and just try to find the hole. I shook the shit out of mine and it fit. then the pilot bearing was too smole so i took a screw driver and pried it open. Ghetto :duh: but it worked lol

orion::S14
04-12-2005, 08:29 AM

...are you sure there's a downpipe on KAs? I mean if there's a downpipe....then where is it, I've never seen anything labeled "downpipe"...?

C'mon guys, do you *really* need to be that petty? Did that really deserve a reply? Much less a reply, then a second "I'm with stupid" reply?

"Downpipe" is a colloquial term, or worse yet, a "tuner" term.

Nissan probably calls it an "intermediate pipe", or "intermediate pipe with catalytic converter assembly", or whatever...either way, downpipe is the tube that connects the manifold or turbo outlet to the cat. converter.

Damn...now you've got me wasting bandwidth same as you did... :bash:

- Brian

the head
04-12-2005, 08:31 AM
i jacked up the front of the engine from the crank pully after i disconnected the exaust that way you dont have to pull on the down pipe and get the trans in at the same time just jack it up until the head hits the firewall then you will definately have enough room to make the trans fit without it snagging on the tunnel

crioten
04-12-2005, 09:06 AM
:werd: heh....are you sure there's a downpipe on KAs? I mean if there's a downpipe....then where is it, I've never seen anything labeled "downpipe"...? :loco: :bash:

your car has labels on it? damn, youre lucky :P

yes there is a downpipe, it may be called something different (ie: headers and exhaust manifold, its the same thing lol)

also you can stick the jack on the front of the engine and have that tilt it back...

i did it like this:
jack the engine up in the front
put a 2x4 there
pulled jack out
used jack to help get tranny up
get some long bolts that are the same thread and use those to guide the tranny on

the other time i did it i got a friend to bench it up there (hes a starting lineman for IU lol)

Dream240
04-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Orion....dood it was a joke. Don't you ever laugh? Sheesh....
And for the humor impaired....my whole post was sarcasm. Just trying to make you guys lighten up.

tak-
04-12-2005, 02:19 PM
i caught your sarcasm. :) anyways, i appreciate all the replies, I think i am going to give it a shot tomorrow, after i steal some pile cushon's from work :]

SimpleS14
04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
I have a jack on the rear and a jack up front, while the motor was tilted. Then I had my friend and I lift it up and do some rotating and it went in. It's ideal to have someone to help you out and/or use a good jack.

wootwoot
04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
You lighten up douche bag! >=O

timmybgood
04-12-2005, 03:50 PM
i'm not a big guy and i can handle the trans no problem. it helps to wrap a rope around the end of the tranny then thread that through the shifter hole in the body and ties it to a pipe, so you can still maneuver the transmission without it falliny.

tak-
04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
hey i just got it!

I unbolted the exhaust(broke off a bolt in the cat! :\) and put a jack-stand ontop of my floor jack and propped up the crank pulley.

Then i tied some speaker wire in a loop, looped it around the ass of the tranny, and up through the shifter hole, and propped it up with my driveshaft.

then i did the same with speaker wire to the front of the tranny through the bolt holes.
i pulled it up and tight, then used my tire + the handle from my jack to get leverage, lift the tranny from underneath, put the other tire on the handle to hold the weight, while i went to the engine bay to tie the speaker wire tighter...did this 2-3 times till the tranny and engine were close.

then i had enough room to lay under the tranny and push up with it, get it close, then drop the back end so its at the same angle as the engine. next thing i knew it was done.

very happy i was able to make due with the shit i had lying around, and didnt have to have anyone help me.

thanks for the help guys.

my240iguanas
04-12-2005, 06:13 PM
All you guys did it the Easy way , when i had to bolt on an sr20 tranny i just pulled the motor with the help of a friend i can get the motor out in an hour and put it back in in 45min so while i pulled out the motor i switched the clutch and tranny but i feel dumb now

Hao
04-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Tak good job on the tranny.

When I did my clutch I only had myself and a floor jack. Took me 45 minutes the first time and then 5 minutes the second time. Yes I blew the clutch out twice, because I did not resurface the flywheel, lesson learned.