PDA

View Full Version : inner tie rod change

Scooter
04-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Has anyone changed their inner tie rod? if so can you guys give me a couple of tips of how to do this. thanks

SR240DET
04-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Has anyone changed their inner tie rod? if so can you guys give me a couple of tips of how to do this. thanks

*tip* go download a FSM for your car and find out..... its really easy.... the FSM will also help you outta any problem with your car.... good luck..

sr240mike
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Its not too hard, takes about 45 minutes. Only hard part was the metal retaining clip that keeps the rod from turning. Use balljoint fork to remove outer balljoints too. Then get alignment asap.

m0rex
04-06-2005, 01:15 PM
That clip is a biatch. It was hard to take off and hard to put on.

Does anyone know if its safe to take off? Mine got really damaged so it went on pretty jacked up.

I found out that the tie rod is easier to take it off with one of those big wrenches well atleast my snapon worked really well instead of that tool that i couldnt find in my garage. You should also have trouble putting back the boot that covers it so just zip tie it instead of using that crappy metal thing because its probably too weak to put on back, trust me it will snap off then you'll have to go under your car again.

Scooter
04-06-2005, 03:37 PM
SR240DET: Thanks and i already did prior to posting, i just wanted to know if anyone whom had done this could give some advice, such as using a tool that help them take out or put in the tie rod etc. thank you though.

sr240mike: thanks for the tip, you know if i don't have a ball joint remover...then what (hammer time).

m0rex: What size wrench did you use?? good tip on the zip tie, Thank you. oh and yes...it's okay to take off the clip, i took a look in the Shop Man. and you have to take it off in order to get the tie rod off. but you must put it back, that is you're suppose to get a new lock plate when reinstalling your tie rod.

more suggestions are welcome the more the better and thanks you guys!