PDA

View Full Version : shock/spring combo

smithers584
04-04-2005, 11:02 PM
im about to buy some kyb agx shocks and want to know what kind of of springs will compliment them the best. Plus some inputs on the shocks would be appreciated thanks

kandyflip445
04-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Agx=Sell them and get coilovers.

But if you must, I've heard that RS*R springs are nice. Good spring rate and good drop. But it will blow out your agx fast too. Most good springs will cause they're too high of a spring rate for the damping on the agx.

The Hamsterball
04-05-2005, 12:19 AM
RSR Race springs have the highest spring rate of any spring kit i've seen for the 240.

that's your best bet if you don't want to spend $1000+ on good coilovers.

Replicant_S14
04-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Agx=Sell them and get coilovers.

Right. Cuz even if you only drive your car to the mall and back, you're "the gay" if you don't buy coilovers. :rolleyes:

smithers584-
AGXs are most likely valved for mainstream springs like Eibach and H&R. I use whitelines. The fronts are fine but I'd like to replace the rears with something taller, a little stiffer and linear. The AGXs are a good improvement over o.e. (your stock ones are most likely toast anyway). After you get them set, you probably won't need the adjustability. It's a good upgrade as long as you don't pay too much.

North240
04-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Well not everyone "needs" or even "wants" coilovers, but i do believe that moxt people would want to eventually upgrade, I know i do. That being said so far the AGXs have been a great upgrade, i auto-x with them, and do a fair amount of back road driving. I have them paired with s-techs, not the best but worlds better than beat stock stuff.

Campos
04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
yeah I just sold my tein he's, i loved them, but my car is taking a new direction, kyb gr2 front, agx rear w/eibach pro kit, = dig fo the launch,

bcrume
04-06-2005, 09:49 AM
If you don't want coilovers, you should spring for the koni shocks. The yellows are good shocks but for people that are willing to spend more, the 3011 koni's put shame to any jdm bling

North240
04-06-2005, 12:35 PM
eeehhhh gr2s, those are no fun at all, they're stock

Whiplash Willy
04-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Ebach Prokits mate well with the agx, but they don't drop the car as low as other springs. I think its a great height though, doesn't scrape, looks pretty good, and can handle bumpy roads.

http://www.beefstorm.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_STAF_SIDE.JPG

Don't go too low though, or you will blow your agx. People complain how agx blow easily, but that is because they put sportlines on them or some other low spring.

DJ_Sunrise
04-07-2005, 08:47 AM
yea, coilovers seem nice.. but keep in mind they cost hundreds more for a basic setup, and then remember ur going to need a camber correction kit for when u lower your car. then keep in mind what a bitch it is to adjust coilovers to the same ride height in all four corners. keep in mind very few roads are perfect and all that stiff dampening and stiffness is going to damage the shit out of your CHASSIS, something u cant replace easily. Im riding around with KYB's and Tein S-techs.. wish i had bought something a little stiffer, but the setup is very streetable. Plan ahead tho.. if you're gonna buy anything higher level then GR-2s, u might have to plan out a new driving route to get around.. pot holes are unhealthy for any suspension you're riding on.. and especially your chassis.
Springs and Shocks...
KYB's.. $360...
S-Techs $150
Install DIY
Alignment $80
Total $600
Expect to spend a minimum of twice as much on coilovers for a BASIC setup.

vegita319
04-07-2005, 07:50 PM
yea, coilovers seem nice.. but keep in mind they cost hundreds more for a basic setup, and then remember ur going to need a camber correction kit for when u lower your car. then keep in mind what a bitch it is to adjust coilovers to the same ride height in all four corners. keep in mind very few roads are perfect and all that stiff dampening and stiffness is going to damage the shit out of your CHASSIS, something u cant replace easily. Im riding around with KYB's and Tein S-techs.. wish i had bought something a little stiffer, but the setup is very streetable. Plan ahead tho.. if you're gonna buy anything higher level then GR-2s, u might have to plan out a new driving route to get around.. pot holes are unhealthy for any suspension you're riding on.. and especially your chassis.
Springs and Shocks...
KYB's.. $360...
S-Techs $150
Install DIY
Alignment $80
Total $600

Megan racing is pretty much a basic set of coilovers with camber front plates. The height adjustment is independant as well. Those only cost 850 shipped from that umsports. For the money of shocks, if i were to choose, i'd get those coilovers. But who am i to say and get those, I bought buddy club coilovers :)

kandyflip445
04-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Springs and Shocks...
KYB's.. $360...
S-Techs $150
Install DIY
Alignment $80
Total $600

Keep in mind you'd need camber plates and RUCAs for spring/shock and only the RUCAs for most coilovers. (to do it right)

Keep in mind if you drive your coilovers usually have matched dampers for the springs and your "combo" doesn't.

Keep in mind you don't have to take the whole thing off to change ride height in the winter.

I agree that too much stiffness isn't good for the chassis but c'mon my s13 is like a wet noodle already. Though my braces helped a CRAPLOAD. I'm sure most other people with a s13 can say the same.

In the end it might just be that you need new dampers and can't afford coilovers yet. In that case go ahead and buy the springs/shocks.

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone ever used any other dampers for lowering a 240? Like Monroe Sensa-Trac, or Tokico Blues or Rancho...lol j/k

North240
04-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Keep in mind GR2s are stock replacement shocks and while were keeping things in mind you dont need rucas and toe rods to do coilovers if you only drop the car 1-2inches, it'l be the same as a strut/spring combo.

If your car will NEVER, EVER see a track or be slammer to the ground then there is no need for coilovers

Replicant_S14
04-08-2005, 11:54 AM
If your car will NEVER, EVER see a track or be slammer to the ground then there is no need for coilovers

...and, the original question had nothing to do with coilovers to begin with.

Al_S14
04-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Megan racing is pretty much a basic set of coilovers with camber front plates. The height adjustment is independant as well. Those only cost 850 shipped from that umsports. For the money of shocks, if i were to choose, i'd get those coilovers. But who am i to say and get those, I bought buddy club coilovers :)

only 850 shipped? cheapest ive seen was 950....wahts the site name? i tried .com . net it didnt work

kandyflip445
04-08-2005, 02:27 PM
You never need toe rods unless you keep breaking stock ones cause they're adjustable from the factory. (on the front) You would need RUCA if you want to correct the camber in back for any drop.

vegita319
04-08-2005, 07:49 PM
only 850 shipped? cheapest ive seen was 950....wahts the site name? i tried .com . net it didnt work

http://www.undergroundmotorsports.com/ thats the site. You should look at the thread about the review. He's talking about how he will hook zilvia members out.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=66691&highlight=megan+racing

tahts the thread. Theres liek 15 pages man. Check it out.

projectRDM
04-08-2005, 09:30 PM
You never need toe rods unless you keep breaking stock ones cause they're adjustable from the factory. (on the front) You would need RUCA if you want to correct the camber in back for any drop.

Wrong.

First off there are no toe rods in the front of the car. Period. The tie rods adjust toe.

OE toe adjustment in the rear is minimal as it is, lowering the car even an inch puts it at it's maximum setting. Camber doesn't kill tires, toe does. I'd do toe rods way before camber if that was my only option.

kandyflip445
04-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I was refering to the tie rods as the toe rods in the front because they do adjust toe. Camber will effect tire wear because it shifts the tire wear to elsewhere in the tread. Toe does mess up tires though.

r-b-x
04-10-2005, 02:25 AM
just to throw it out there, megan racing has some pretty stiff springs available for both s13 and s14. 350f, 250r, 1.75 in drop all around, it's among the stiffest out there, along with rsr race and km/mm race springs. and megan racing stuff i usually fairly cheap too http://www.meganracing.com/products/product_detail.asp?prodid=189

Replicant_S14
04-10-2005, 08:16 AM
just to throw it out there, megan racing has some pretty stiff springs available for both s13 and s14. 350f, 250r, 1.75 in drop all around, it's among the stiffest out there, along with rsr race and km/mm race springs.

:bash:

Weld in a solid member and it'll be even stiffer.

stiffer = better Right?

:rolleyes:

projectRDM
04-10-2005, 10:38 AM

stiffer = better Right?

Ha. I cut some 2x4s and bolted them in to replace the OE suspension.

BLT123
04-10-2005, 11:28 AM
I got AGXs with stock springs.. after reading this thread, I still don't know what to do.

I do know our roads here are not good for coils, you'd turn your brains into milkshake.

Any idea where I can get good stiff springs with very very very little drop? (like .5 inch or so, nothing more than an inch or else I wont be able to get out of the house without leaving my chin..)

kandyflip445
04-10-2005, 12:14 PM
You can get custom springs from Eibach.

r-b-x
04-10-2005, 05:08 PM

stiffer = better Right?

i don't know? why don't people order coilovers with rates of 2-3 kgmm rates then? the ride of soft springs with fancy shit adjustment

AlligatorBling
04-10-2005, 07:16 PM
im happy with my stech and agx setup... pm if you have any questions.

yusuke1923
01-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Eibach Sportlines and Koni Yellows... Best combo for semi street/semi track! Not to low, not to high, road hugger and you barely feel the swayyyyyyyy

Dream240
01-04-2007, 06:00 AM
WHY ARE YOU POSTING ON A 2 YEAR OLD THREAD THAT WAS DONE???

There's simply no point to taking this further.

Lock please.

PS13SILVIA
01-04-2007, 09:16 AM
im happy with my stech and agx setup... pm if you have any questions.

Me to, I have run both AGX with TEIN S TECH and Eiback Sportline and I like the S TECHS better. The AGX can't really control the Sportlines as well as the S TECHS as far a adjustment is concerned you can feel the difference with teh S TECHS but not so much with the Sportlines maybe the sport lines are to stiff for them and you need stronger dampers.....but the ride is more smooth with the S TECHS IMO......

mitdrx
01-04-2007, 07:17 PM
koni yellows + rsr race srpings +1

markyboi
01-04-2007, 07:31 PM
i had agx's and megan springs before...and i autox'ed with them and did spirited driving...they matched pretty well

i chose the megans because of its price and spring rates..

well if you dont want to go that low, and you dont want to sacrifice ride comfort...spring and shock is the way to go then

OptionZero
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
if you're at all serious about driving or modifying your car, you'll regret getting a spring/shock combo

but if you're just put-put-putting around town, what the heck, why not.......stay stock