PDA

View Full Version : swappin diffs with the g/g (searched!!!)

nlzmo400r
04-04-2005, 08:05 AM
it seems all I get when i search is s13 diff options, well this needs to apply to an s14 as well. My g/f has a vlsd equipped s14 (automatic). I know her vlsd will fit in my s13 with my cover swapped on (and i think swapping ring gears as well correct?). But will my open diff bolt into her s14 with her cover on it? They're all 6bolt axles right?

orion::S14
04-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Yes, but I'll assume she has ABS...and you're open diff will NOT have the ABS sensor in it...so she'll have non-working ABS if you swap.

If she has the rare base-model-with-no-ABS-but-with-VLSD option, then that's a non-issue.

- Brian

SirWarrior
04-04-2005, 10:04 AM
If she has the rare base-model-with-no-ABS-but-with-VLSD option, then that's a non-issue.
- Brian
than she'll have the common base-model-with-no-ABS-and-still-no-VLSD
:down:

nlzmo400r
04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
she does have abs, however she will retain HER abs cover, just my NON abs open diff. Would the sensor still have no where to plug in? Does the sensor plug intot he cover, or the actuall diff itself? And she has a 'full SE' (just no leather), so she has abs/vlsd/sunroof/5lug all that great shit. Also, assuming that her abs will not be working, would it throw the 'ABS' light in her cluster?

autobahNESSA
04-04-2005, 11:38 AM
The abs sensor is at the front of the diff. it adds and extra 1/2 to 1 inch to the diff. shortening the drive shaft. If you swap, you will need to swap drive shafts, and her abs will no longer work. It will throw one the ABS light in her dash also.

nlzmo400r
04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
hmm, sounds like i'll just swap driveshafts/diffs, and pull the light out of the cluster. Anything else i need to be aware of before i dive into this?

Wait, if i swap the diff covers off, then her original ABS equipped s14 vlsd COVER will still be on her car, which would fit fine on her original drive shaft correct? I will have the S13 NON VLSD cover on my s13, with my Original drive shaft, that should work right? Except for maybe throwing the abs light on for the s14?

orion::S14
04-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Are you dumping this chick soon or something...???

I wouldn't hose her by yanking her diff and leaving her with no ABS...

And her driveshaft will then be 1/2" too short...which may be fine, but may cause a leak at the rear of the transmission.

Dude, just go buy a VLSD from a J30...

J30 VLSD = $250

Mobil 1 80w90 gear oil = $15

Bottled water to drink while you swap 2 diffs in the hot LA sun = $2.50

Still getting laid b/c you left her car alone = PRICELESS.

- Brian

infinitexsound
04-04-2005, 01:48 PM
serious.... man dont steal ur gf's diff thats scandalous...... just get a s13 one or any other... ur just opening a doorway to naggin... just weld ur diff if money is an issue...

blu808
04-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Just get a weld locd diff for $75

That will solve both problems

nlzmo400r
04-05-2005, 07:51 AM
haha, guys, she doesn't mind, im not gonna 'sneak' it. I explained to her what it does and how it works. I just dont really want her to not have ABS. Im not too sure how much it helps, but I would feel like absolute shit if she got in a wreck because she didn't stop in time. And also, ive got a million projects going at once, about to buy new coilovers, saving towards boost, and i figured a nice free vlsd would be cool. The onyl real downside is id actuially be swapping TWO diffs. Anyway, i guess i'll keep searchin the jyards. Thanks for the help guys- Later

Drunk Bastard
04-05-2005, 03:30 PM
well when u change out a open diff for a vlsd you need to swap the axles too. so just weld ur current open diff or save up and buy a kaaz or tomei, you dont want vlsd its not that great.

ultraDorksGarage
04-05-2005, 04:30 PM
well when u change out a open diff for a vlsd you need to swap the axles too. so just weld ur current open diff or save up and buy a kaaz or tomei, you dont want vlsd its not that great.

hmmm. unless u are changing to a 5 bolt jdm set, u dont change axles on 240 to 240 swap right?

projectRDM
04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
hmmm. unless u are changing to a 5 bolt jdm set, u dont change axles on 240 to 240 swap right?

Correct. Axles are the exact same.

nlzmo400r
04-06-2005, 07:36 AM
I just dont have the money for a quaife right now. And even the s15 helical diff runs about 6oo or 7oo. And there fore a nice used, FREE vlsd seemed like a damn good idea

autobahNESSA
04-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I got a vlsd, 250 with axles.
pm me, or Lzhiou for more info.