PDA

View Full Version : bumper sanding

SimpleSexy180
04-03-2005, 11:19 PM
hey guys, I just got a 91 bumper to replace my pignose and i decided to sand it down so i can eventually paint it. I wanted to know which grit to use and if it would be a good idea to try wetsanding it?

sw20>>s14
04-03-2005, 11:27 PM
i say 320...nothing lower. if all paint is still intact, dont go too far down. wetsand? you might as well...

SimpleSexy180
04-03-2005, 11:55 PM
thx man YOU = :rawk: ill try that. If theres other tips anybody else would like to share please tell me.

infinitexsound
04-03-2005, 11:58 PM
320 will still show if u do it by hand......... by show i mean the sand marks... theres dry 500 u can use... u dont have to wetsand... 500 is one of the best grit to use then anything higher...if your gonna 320 use a DA.. otherwise your gonna get marks on the work area... FEATHER UR EDGES OTHERWISE... when its painted the bottom layer will LIFT...... and what we say in the autobody biz is REDO..

007jpang
04-04-2005, 12:07 AM
also use a block sander on the flat areas so that sanding it down would be even.= better job

SimpleSexy180
04-04-2005, 12:11 AM
thx guys, what is a DA? yes im a noob.

infinitexsound
04-04-2005, 01:04 AM
hahahhaha BLOCK SANDER cough!cough! BS... da equals orbital sander u hook up to air or.just use a.. basic electric sander..... 320 okay homie.... here ill give u straight up instructions.... 320 everything by hand then 500..considering u dont have any air or electric tools... then get a grey scotch brite.. scuff by hand.... wash the whole bumper with the scotch pad w/ dish wash soap.. prep side first.... then underside get rid of all the dirts... wash it off with a water hose.. okay... get rid of the SHINY's....let it dry take it to get painted.... or paint it urself which ever u decide....

SimpleSexy180
04-04-2005, 01:27 AM
thanx man!! I think it'll turn out good :)

m0rex
04-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Or get rid of the dirt and grease with dammit whats the name of that well its paint cleaner i think its like laquer got to walmart for some cheap cleaner. Or just use dishwasher soap.

Catalan
04-04-2005, 02:14 AM
Let us know how it turns out.

Stock-S13
04-04-2005, 03:17 AM
Hey i'm not adept on painting or anything, but isn't a diffrent type of paint used when you paint on Polyurethane? Or can you just shoot the stuff you would use on the sheetmetal part of the car?

infinitexsound
04-04-2005, 01:28 PM
well paint systems, theres alot of different kinds from lacquer to acrylic to urethane based... theres many kinds, different shop like different kinds... period... but all the prep work is the same.... when ur painting on plastic parts.. technically u have to add some sort of flex additve because plastic tends to change in weather.... technically your only suppose to add flex in the primers and clear.. my best way of describing what flex does is seeing spider web cracks on a bumper... they dont seem to peel easily like on sheet metal parts..the crack in the paint just seems to spread farther... with out peelin... ohh yah and ur suppose to adhesion promoter on plastics.. if its raw... basically pure plastic.. why because painting plastics is a bitch... its like a 75% chance its gonna hold... dupont sells plas-tick(something like that) , then theres bulldog, etc etc etc.. and for sheet metals if its bare metal u have to use etch prime.. which is a metal adhesion promoter =) if your not satisfied... go work at a good established autobody shop... best place to learn... dont go to tradeschool for it.. its a waste of money.. and be good friends with the painter because hes ur real hook up...