PDA

View Full Version : timing chain qeastion - Did search

hatchxceler8tion
03-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey, I'm not one to post qeastions unless really needed. I think I have the notorius timing chain rattle. I drive a 90 fastback with a soch. I recently just got the timing chain rattle or beleive so. From what I've read its only at idle? But it louder as i rev. It does not go away. Should that rattle only be at idle? It sounds like a can of spray paint, but its intermitent. Its a constant noise that goes from loud, to not as loud to scrapping. I've read some poeple drive on it and I've read dont drive on it it'll eat through your timing cover and coolant will leak into the oil. Really just need some advice on it. Could it be a rod knock? I did check my oil and it was low. Added 2 qtrs and I sit just full. I understand that the tensioner is oil pressure activated so It leads me towards the chain tensenoir, but what throws me off is the sound. Its not a constant sound. Thanks in advance.

aznpoopy
03-23-2005, 04:48 PM
go to 240sx.org -> faq -> timingchain questions and answers

DIY time : 10-12 hours
DIY cost : $100ish in parts (there is a list on that faq page)
shop cost : $500-$700

unfortunately the easy dohc fixes listed there don't apply to your situation. :(

Andrew Bohan
03-23-2005, 04:53 PM
2 quarts low? yech! how long were you driving it like that? it could be rod knock. listen carefully and see if you determine if the sound is the same speed as the exhaust pulses or if it's only 1/4 of the speed of the exhaust pulses. if it's 1/4 of the speed, then the problem is with one cylinder only. and that's not good.