PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild of an SR20

undercoverdjay
03-20-2005, 04:19 PM
So Im putting together a shopping list for this summer. Now that its near the end of the semester and I can put in some work weeks Im making a list of componets to buy to build my SR project before I swap it in. Ive been browsing around and have seen many SR's tuned to around 400 crank HP on stock internals. Far fetched as it may seem or not Im shooting for 500 crank HP. Might seem like ricer talk but Ive been building my car for 3 years now and have acheived everything I planned thus far. Without being flamed, Im looking for a list of reputable parts that have been tested and tried as good componets. Im looking into a crank up rebuild. New valves, valve springs, port/polish, cams, etc etc. I need to combine some opinion here so Im not trying to ebay shitty parts later on. Also driveline componets are important here too. Keep in mind this is no longer my daily driver, Ive since picked up another 92 S13 hatch. Everyday drivability isnt much of an issue. Grant it Im not looking for a strictly track car either. Another thing I havent seen too much feedback is the S15 6 speed transmission. So any insight on that is appreciated as well. I appreciate the help everyone.

usctom
03-20-2005, 06:50 PM
the 6sp is weak. Im in the process of rebuilding mine, but Im sticking with mostly stock stuff besides pistons(cp). the only other thing I think u really would need to upgrade would be rods, valve spring (comp), Cams, Intake manifold(greddy)and replace everything else with oem (valves, bearings, waterpump, oil pump, and etc).

slivia-junkie
03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
how much you looking to spend 500 is possible but not cheap. have you looked into a 2.2 stroker kit toda racing makes a good

undercoverdjay
03-20-2005, 08:54 PM
ive looked into the stroker kit, thats a little too much than I think to spend, thats around 2,000 for that. Im looking invest around 2,000 total for engine work. So OEM valves are alright with aftermarket springs and a valve job? everything else such as water/oil pump would be alright and enough to handle that horsepower id imagine. I need to do some more research in regards to cam duration and such.

ultraDorksGarage
03-21-2005, 12:44 AM
if i recall correctly 2.2 toda no longer available i think. personally id rather build the motor for a little more rpm. just my .02

mjjstang
03-21-2005, 03:11 AM
yah i always wanted to know about the valves too, if you can use them, also a nice corner to cut would be getting the greaddy knockoff manifold, I mean it is a single cast part that has gotten good reviews, and a lot cheaper, you coudl put that money into your pocket or get some more build up parts,

slider2828
03-21-2005, 01:48 PM
mjjstang.... do you have a name or distro for that knockoff manifold?

the head
03-21-2005, 01:56 PM
topspeed makes one of the knockoffs

johngriff
03-21-2005, 02:07 PM
if you want 2.2, i will sell you a set of sr sleeves, rings, and a 90mm piston set from CP for $900. Actually the piston would be any size you want up to 90mm, that is the maximum the sleeve can be bored out to. Sleeves (Darton) are an overnight deal, and pistons is 4 to 6 weeks. This can be used with stock con-rods and crank.

Thanks
John
714 493 0293
could sombody post a link for the knock off manifold??

s14 blacktop
03-21-2005, 02:40 PM
the knock off intakes need a good amount of porting and polishing, my friend just got one(bastard), its hellaa light...

mjjstang
03-21-2005, 05:39 PM
I was told its not worth it to port those, like gains are extremely minimal, but anyway only place I see them are on ebay,