PDA

View Full Version : VIS oem hood pins or not?

BIGBX1
03-16-2005, 07:19 PM
I intalled my vis oem style carbon fiber hood,about two weeks ago and I have a ? The hood is set up with a oem style hood latch will this be enough? Do I need to install hood pins. Has anyone had a bad experience? Waiting for 180sx front clip so hood is just on now to test fit with oem fenders.

Drift Atlanta Is Coming!!!! :w00t:

SilviaDriver
03-16-2005, 07:21 PM
i have no problems, but i can see very slight wobble, which means i might put hood pins on. but ive ran w/o hoodpins for almost a year now and driven up to 100 before and still no problems. some people have bad experience some dont

projectRDM
03-16-2005, 08:28 PM
$20 and 15 minutes of work is good insurance for a $500 hood. My old FiberImages hood held tight up to 140, but it also flew up after the latch pulled loose at only 15mph and took out the windshield.

speeddreamz
03-16-2005, 08:49 PM
GET PINS. they may look tacky but they'll keep you from smashing ur windshield, mine flew up but no windsheild luckily.

Yoshi
03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
PINS!
I saw some jackass in a prelude lose his hood and hit the car 1 lane over from me.
My first thought was "oh $hit, that taurus is lucky he didn't get his head taken off"...
My 2nd thought was, "man, f@ck that idiot in the prelude!"

Don't do it just for yourself... do it for others!

nrg
03-16-2005, 11:05 PM
cf and no hood pin is very unsafe. I'm picking up a REAL vis hood soon and going to put Moroso Hood: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=MOR-39010

mr_240sx
03-17-2005, 09:39 AM
ive seen what happends when someone doesnt use hood pins!! i would recommment for you to use hood pins for extra safety!

Rusker
03-17-2005, 10:10 AM
If you don't and your hood pops up and smashes your windshield, your out quite a bit of money.

Rusker
03-17-2005, 10:11 AM
...just remeber to actually use your hood pins. My buddy forgot to put his back on his rallycar onetime. Oops.

S14mc
03-17-2005, 10:12 AM
ive had my vis cf hood for about 2 years and nothing has happened so far =). I've seen civics and prelude cf hoods come off, but I would blame the crappy aero dynamics of the front. More wind prone to push up the hood from through the grille. Or maybe because my s14 k is sleeker up front i guess. I understand the use of the pins but it looks hideous(no offense).

chmercer
03-17-2005, 12:02 PM
thats really shitty logic. have fun blowing up your windsheild

BIGBX1
03-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Thank you guys for the help I guess its time to check summit and find some hood pins,too much money going to be invested to have to worry about hood slaming up on the windshield. :(

BSeay
03-17-2005, 06:17 PM
im getting pins for my S14 oem hood, i've had mine on for 2 years and such now also without problems...but the wobble is enought to scare me into it...

and there have been many 100+ runs without problems..

nrg
03-18-2005, 02:31 AM
I hate the look of hood pins too. the sparco style.
That's why i want the small factor kind from Moroso.

Rusker
03-18-2005, 01:20 PM
100+mph without hoodpins? Your just asking to die...

Do they make black hoodpins? or any kind of pins that don't stand out?

S14mc
03-19-2005, 01:47 PM
its not really shitty logic, if you understand aerodynamics. If there was more force on top of the hood than under, it would be relatively stable. It all depends on the quality of the hood and latch. If the latch was also molded to the hood, like some hoods i've seen, then i would get pins. Maybe i should get pins for my stock hood. :-/

Phlip
03-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Do they make black hoodpins? or any kind of pins that don't stand out?
If they don't, some black rustoleum is only like 6 bucks, cheap for the peace of mind it would send itself to

Yoshi
03-19-2005, 02:23 PM
its not really shitty logic, if you understand aerodynamics. If there was more force on top of the hood than under, it would be relatively stable. It all depends on the quality of the hood and latch. If the latch was also molded to the hood, like some hoods i've seen, then i would get pins. Maybe i should get pins for my stock hood. :-/

wtf man... how is it NOT shitty logic.
What you're saying makes sense in only 2 places:
1) an indoor track with a controlled atmosphere
2) a wind tunnel
In those scenarios, I totally agree, but that's not a realistic comparison.

You can understand aerodynamics with a PhD education, but it won't matter if you only apply the rules to a closed enviornment. The real world brings the worst factor of all, Random Chance. I can't believe this is even a topic of debate! Pins = Safe(er) no Pins = dangerous

That's why Iceman wouldn't fly with Maverick til he got his shit together, and why Goose died ;)

Stock vs. CF Hmm... steel vs. FRP'd latch assembly... no contest, steel bends, CF/FRP cracks and shatters
BAH! Here's a linky, I feel like i'm repeating myself http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=75190

edit: no, I completely retract what I said about the 2 examples that work... they WOULD NOT. I was not thinking about the lift produced by the car (I'm sure most ppl have seem the numerous cars flip that do the top speed challenges in the NM salt flats... those are purpose built straight line top speed cars, and they STILL flip/lose hoods/lose canards/etc). Just the other day there was a wind storm in my area and I was working on my car, hood was down, but only safety latched, not fully latched, the 40mph gusts repeatedly slammed the latch assembly, hood going up and down rattling hard because of the 2" or so of play. Physics say the hood will lift, period.