PDA

View Full Version : pilot bearing removal help help help

NemeGuero
03-11-2005, 11:51 PM
auto to manual swap is well underway.. except the damn pilot bearing will NOT come out.. did the wet toilet paper trick that I found when I searched.. just got me wet and a lot of toilet paper stuck inside there.

I bought a puller but it's too large to fit both hooks inside the bearing. this was however the smallest one availabe to me at my local kragens.. I bought the team mechanix 1 ton 3" reach and 3-1/4" spread..

can someone give me more info on the correct puller.. (dimensions, specs) that stuff... so I don't buy the wrong one again? the counter jerks couldn't help me any.. they just pointed me to their pullers..

or anyone in the Santa Cruz, CA area that would want to take it out by any means necessary I might reward your services.

thanks
Evan

fliprayzin240sx
03-12-2005, 01:50 AM
Are you talking bout the automatic flywheel plate thingie? If it is, what i usually do is get a drill and drill in 2 opposite area of the plate and just break/collapse. Just be carefull not to go too deep.

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 02:16 AM
the thingy that sits inside the bearing behind the flywheel.. will a regular drill be able to handle the job?

fliprayzin240sx
03-12-2005, 02:45 AM
Yups...drill it in opposite sides to weaken it. Then use a hammer and something to chisel it to break the brass ring in and you should be able to pull it out then. Be careful not to hit the lip around the ring or else itll be a bitch to sit your flywheel on.

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 02:51 AM
thanks, gonna go try that right now

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 05:30 AM
there are now several holes in my bearing.. but it still doesn't move.. hammered it with a screwdriver, pulled it with pliers.. nada

jy116
03-12-2005, 06:32 AM
i been reading up on this too... slide hammer and the puller that fits is what make sit easiest.

what tool is this referring to: "team mechanix 1 ton 3" reach and 3-1/4" spread".... those $20 jacks? heh, just wondering. Let us kno ur progress and pics if possible. I have to do that same with my 5 speed cuz when it was swapped the PB wasnt set in rite, now I grind [clutch hitting pressure plate?] sumtimes.

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 02:18 PM
no store in my area carries a slide hammer or a puller of the right size. I've torn the bearing apart and it still won't come out. i've dremeled it, drilled it.. tried the wet tiolet paper twice. nothing, just sits there fuckin' smiling at me. please someone help me.

I will pay someone if they can come to my house this weekend and get that damn bearing off for me.
-Evan

TheTicTac
03-12-2005, 02:23 PM
I hope you're trying to destroy the bushing and not where you circled, because that would be bad. The bushing is super soft so you should have had zero problems with that drill.

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 02:26 PM
the bearing is the part that sticks out the most right? that's what I've been hacking away at

ghostuss
03-12-2005, 02:45 PM
This is what we did. Get a puller that fits and because it keeps slipping so we hacked the puller by grind down the edge so it's not 90degree outside edge but rather like 75 or so. So it's all sharp so it will grab the edge. It wasn't the worst thing ever when it comes to auto-manual swap thou. it was a pain.

BTW: oh if you are at bay area. Try renting one at autozone. It's free hehe.

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 03:06 PM
how small is the puller? i got the smallest one they had at kragens and only 1 of the arms fit inside..

citizen
03-12-2005, 03:42 PM
try this:
get some thick, viscous grease (wheel beering greese or something like that)
pack it in the hole, find a rod or dowel that fits snugly inside the bearing. hit the rod in with a hammer. the grease will push the bearing out.

crioten
03-12-2005, 03:43 PM
when you drilled it did you drill all the way down the side of it? if not there is your problem...

drill on two opposite sides and it will like drop right out (i was pissed when mine practly fell out lol)

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 05:17 PM
how important is it to not scar the inside? not on the bearing obviously..

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 06:31 PM
thanks for the clarificatin crioten.. got it!! thanks EVERYONE!!

max_misawa
03-12-2005, 07:03 PM
If the bushing was good why mess with it?
or is AT diffrent than MT?
I dunno never works on aa AT 240
Should always have the right tools before you start a job, or a local shop that will help you if you get stuck

Max

NemeGuero
03-12-2005, 09:42 PM
AT bushing is different.. right tool didn't even work because the bearing was stuck on so bad. had to be drilled out

fliprayzin240sx
03-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Haha....SEE I TOLD YOU!!! Collapse the bitch instead of trying to pull it out. Now put in a fresh pilot bearing from a KA and strap your flywheel in. Torque it round 92-102 ft lbs iirc. Oh yah before i forget...MAKE SURE YOUR USING 5 speed flywheel bolts. The automatic flywheel bolts are shorter. *found that out the hard way*

NemeGuero
03-13-2005, 01:44 AM
yah, thanks for all your help fellahs
much appreciated

pr240sx
03-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Heat that sucka nex time!

Rownan
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
I hate pilot bushings... I've NEVER seen them come out easy.

MikeFD3S
03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
just get, or borrow the tool from an auto parts store. It makes that job sooo much easier.

Be careful if you crack it off, you dont want to damage the spindles or other parts.

mbmbmb23
03-14-2005, 10:45 PM
try this:
pack it in the hole, find a rod or dowel that fits snugly inside the bearing. hit the rod in with a hammer. the grease will push the bearing out.

YES!!! This does work....I've done it personally. Use as thick a grease as you can find, and a bolt that just barely fits in there.

-m

vanquish2
03-15-2005, 01:53 PM
try this:

agreed....works for me everytime!!!

jy116
03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
the thingy that sits inside the bearing behind the flywheel.. will a regular drill be able to handle the job?

I hope you're trying to destroy the bushing and not where you circled, because that would be bad. The bushing is super soft so you should have had zero problems with that drill.

He circled the rite part.... rite? Its the inner most bearing looking thing that supports the input shaft when the trans is plugged in... rite?

fliprayzin240sx
03-16-2005, 02:38 AM
He circled the rite part.... rite? Its the inner most bearing looking thing that supports the input shaft when the trans is plugged in... rite?

He circled the rite thing but i think your thinking of something else. Hes pulling the bearing that holds the AUTOMATIC flywheel. 5 speeds dont have that big brass that he circled. You have to pull that thing off completely then stick in the smaller 5 speed pilot bearing that goes further in. Trust me, those things are PITA to take off. Usually takes me a good 1-2 hrs drilling it just so i can collapse it.