PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a low temp thermostat?

ZK
03-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I had to replace the thermostat on my engine and went with the nismo low temp one. The car ran super rich, engine pinging and all sorts of problems. The guy who was working on the car told me to change it out for a regular one because the car is running too cold and doesn't reach operating temperature.

Sure enough, put in a regular thermostat and the car is running ok again.

Anyone else have this problem?

Flybert
03-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Seems funny that you'd be pinging and running rich at the same time. Have you checked the resistance on your Factory Water Temp Sensor to see if it's working correctly? What motor setup do you have? Turbo KA? SR? NA KA? If you are NA, I really wouldn't be using the low temp thermo. Turbos on the other hand tend to run hotter or so it seems so low temp thermos work fine for normal driving. 2 of my friends have them on SR's and have no problems whatsoever.

ZK
03-08-2005, 02:16 PM
It's an SR motor. I have a Koyo radiator as well. From what I was told the car is not getting to operating temperature so it was running in a warm-up mode.

Flybert
03-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Do you have a aftermarket water temp gauge? Does the factory gauge reach the middle of it's range?

ZK
03-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah, the needle on the cluster goes to the middle. And no, it is all stock.

Flybert
03-08-2005, 05:15 PM
If the needle is going to the middle, you are reaching operating temperature so we know you aren't running cold. When it goes to the middle, it should be from 60-9X degrees Celsius. I think there is something else wrong here. If I were you, I'd make sure my factory water temp sensor is working correctly. Look in the online FSM for S14 sr20's and check out the specs for the water temp sensor resistances. Get a multimeter and get to work. As for the pinging, if you are running rich, you should be less likely to ping. Is your timing set correctly? If you are looking at your CAS, how is it positioned?

You said that with the stock thermo, the car runs fine? You might just be better off running that for now until you fix any other problems you might be having.