PDA

View Full Version : Swap front calipers to rear?

IGSDann
03-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Yes I searched.

And so I've been considering getting some Q45 calipers for the front, but I would also like to upgrade the rear, so I was wondering if I can easily swap my front brake assembly to the rear or will it require some fancy brackets and end up not being worth my time?

speeddreamz
03-07-2005, 11:39 PM
its not worth your time, you need to have some sort of E-brake mechanism otherwise your car will always be rolling down the hill. :keke:

Your best bet for an upgrade is a z32 rear brake setup, you need caliper, rotor, pads, shims , then the ebrake setup which consists of the dustshield attatched to a sort of "drum ebrake setup" and the ebrake cables to extend it.

I have calipers, rear stainless steel lines, and brand new rotors cross drilled. let me know if your interested

[email protected]

blu808
03-08-2005, 02:32 AM
This has to be the most worthless thread ever. No ebrake capibilities, besides even if there was you would need like a 3" master cyl

blu808
03-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Q45 brakes suck the fat one. whoe 2 iston calipers. yeaa. but then again z32 brakes suck as well. I rec a z 32 fronts with a z32 master and 2 willwood proportioning valves.

projectRDM
03-08-2005, 04:32 AM
To answer the question, the rear caliper mounting ears are 110mm apart, fronts are only 100mm. So no, not without a machind bracket.

IGSDann
03-08-2005, 06:49 AM
To answer the question, the rear caliper mounting ears are 110mm apart, fronts are only 100mm. So no, not without a machind bracket.

Thank you R240 and speeddreamz for giving me a straighfoward answer. I'll probably leave it stock in the rear to save myself some time.

blu808- Thanks for being a stupid dick, I think the reason you got banned was for stupid shit like this. Like mama says, if you got nothing good to say then shut the fuck up.

blu808
03-08-2005, 12:23 PM
I was just refering to how pointless it would be to put them in the rear even if they did bolt up.

You have to consider that the fronts use way more volume of fluid then the rear calipers. So if you were to put this setup on the rear. and then use say z brakes up front, your pedal would hit the floor before you even began to slow down. Thats why i was saying you would need a 3" master. Which is not a possibility. Also if say you could get a setup like that to work, you would need proportioning valves to even it out.
Sounds like too much work.

Z brakes work great with proportioning valves, and a z master cyl.
The rear z brakes are not bad either.

:newbie: How does my last post make me a stupid dick? Your the one who wanted to put your front brakes on the rear. :wtf:

IGSDann
03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
I was just refering to how pointless it would be to put them in the rear even if they did bolt up.

You have to consider that the fronts use way more volume of fluid then the rear calipers. So if you were to put this setup on the rear. and then use say z brakes up front, your pedal would hit the floor before you even began to slow down. Thats why i was saying you would need a 3" master. Which is not a possibility. Also if say you could get a setup like that to work, you would need proportioning valves to even it out.

:newbie: How does my last post make me a stupid dick? Your the one who wanted to put your front brakes on the rear. :wtf:

Ok, you're not a stupid dick and I am glad to see you un-permablocked, but you just seemed like an asshole for no good reason... But now that you explained yourself a bit better I get what you're saying. Thanks. I still don't see what's wrong with the Q45 fronts? 2 piston and a 2 inch larger rotor = Better stopping?

Jeff240sx
03-08-2005, 02:43 PM

You need to calm down. Why a 3" master? What's wrong with running z32 front and rear brakes, with a z32 master cylinder? If it works on a 300zx, it'll be bitchin for a 240sx. This isn't rocket science. And people with properly bled front zbrakes and good lines have no issues with pedal feel.
The ebrake issue can be solved by connecting (crimping together) the stock ebrake cable to the z-brake cable, which is too short on a s14. S13 it fits though, with clever routing.

Q brakes are good because they clear just about every wheel setup, and give more braking ability than stock.

Now, don't say "they need new wheels" because not everyone has the money or desire to replace a cosmetic item. Don't discount something because it's not what you run. To come right out and start bashing things that other people have and worked hard to get is a good way to get kicked off the forum. Stop bieng elitist and self centered.
-Jeff

blu808
03-08-2005, 04:30 PM
jeff. He was speaking of running his front calipers on the rear. And running q45 brakes up front. Thats why there could be no ebrake unless he used a line lock. Also thats why he would need a crazy master cyl to push that much fluid.

I typically have used just z32 brakes in the front, and a z master with stock rears and its 10000% better than stock. I was just trying to say that if he was going to fab that much stuff to make his front calipers work on the rear, then z brakes, or q45 brakes would not be up to par with the rear.

Hope this makes more sense. :rawk:

Jeff240sx
03-08-2005, 11:32 PM
It does. I'm still dreaming of someone making a s14 z32 ebrake cable - and then I'll swap. Not with a squirrely custom cable crimp job.
-Jeff

blu808
03-09-2005, 04:13 AM
That cable crimping has allways worried me. I have found that aircraft cable clamps work very well.

Anyways. I like the z32 rears, because when running big brakes up front, like z32 or a kit, the rears put out more stopping power making the bias more managable without a prop valve.

I also like the rears because they use a drum for the ebrake, and disc for the reg brakes. This is awsome for drifting because your rear braking wont be affected by ebraking.

I am still running stock rears on my car, and they work fine. But with my z32 fronts, and now rotora fronts, the bias really sucked the fat one.

Thats why i need the proportioning valves.

When i had my s13 they worked well with the z32 rears though.