PDA

View Full Version : My Rear Locked up Need Help

soawsome
03-02-2005, 07:23 PM
So last week we had a pretty big snow storm and i got stuck in my girlfriends driveway ... i couldent make it up so i kept trying and no luck. i finally shoveled it and got out and headed home. On the way home i got stuck agian but i cant stop on this hill becuase when i stepped on the brakes the car slid down so i had to keep giong at it. after burning my tires up i made it home.
i drove the car home and drove every day for about and hour. last night i head some clunking so i turned down my radio and listened agian and i was alot more faint now. i continued to drive and it seemed like i only got the clunking when in nuetral.
i drove it home and then back out this morning ... about 5 min from my house it seems like the car is almost bogging like its not getting enouph fuel.
all of a sudden the car slows down real fast and it stops and i clutch it before it stalls ..... and now i put it in gear and i try to move and it wont ... it moves about an inch and then stops and rolls back that inch. i even reved it up high and dropped the clutch and then it just slipped the clutch so i stopped.

i am thinking its the rear diff from the abuse from the snow storm. but would it really break that easy? i was spinning the tires on snow and ice at low speeds how could that hurt the diff? i havent gotten a chance to look at it yet becuase its too cold and i am busy, but i am trying to get some ideas of what it could be?
i put in a S15 helical Diff with the correct half shafts along time ago and have had 10k miles on it? would that lock up?

if you guys could give me any ideas or help at all ill take it b/c i need it bad i have to get this thing back on the road quick.

thanks alot
--steve--

Neo Yakra
03-03-2005, 03:27 PM
it sounds like you blew your rear diff seal! thats what it sounds like to me...but im no expert.

soawsome
03-07-2005, 05:45 PM
i am no expert either. what does the rear diff seal do if it went out.

i went under the car today when i had a free hour and once the car was jacked up the tires would spin freely..... which is wierd b/c once the car is on the ground the back wheels wont spin at all.

also when the car was in the air i tried to engage the clutch and still it was stuck.

so now i am thinking the transmission is frozen some how or the front of the diff that goes to the driveshaft(the part i never touched when i swapped the helical diff guts in the open diff case.).

please some one give me some ideas here i need to figure this out and i am on limited time

thanks in advance

gfisch
03-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Is it possible that the clutch took the abuse and is too worn/glazed to engage properly?

P.S. thats why I bought a relatively cheap, high milage truck, I keep my 240 garaged at the first sight of snow. Plus, then theres no reason to get crappy all season tires on the 240, just some nice summer ones.

trixxxr4_kids
03-12-2005, 01:32 AM
have you given anythought to your throwout bearing? it might have taken damage from the cold . you can have the car off the ground and watch it sping but then the whole drivetrain is going it takes alot more pressure than just off the ground , or maybe your rear diff panel is on a bit to tight , hell you might have even damaged a gear

Flexin
10-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Did you ever figure out what it was? I had this happen to my s13 yesterday, thought it was tranny fluid so I changed all of that then tried to go to work and it didnt even make it out of my neighborhood. I had to have it dragged back screeching the whole way, is it possible I can just put more fluid in it and it will be fixed? after all I think its because im out of fluid.