PDA

View Full Version : q45 brakes

tak-
02-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I am asking the opinion of some of you out there. I Just pulled the front brake calipers/brackets off a q45, got the pair for $20. They want $30 for both rotors though. Is this worth it? They will not be installed for quite some time, but i would rest alot easier knowing i had the full set, and if i opted to get them later...they may be gone. So is $30 too much for used rotors (in good shape), or should i go get them? I dont wanna spend money if i dont use them either(i.e: come across a deal on some rotoras or brembo's or something).

Next thing i want to know is....are the back brakes worth taking? I have heard yes's and no's, but nothing really solid in the form of an answer, any suggestions would be appreciated, and at the price they charged me i figure it cant hurt.

thanks

OptionZero
02-27-2005, 01:44 PM
www.ka24dedevelopment.com

Brake Upgrades

Kernel Klinko
02-27-2005, 02:19 PM
I just have to say something about the rear brakes. In all cars rear brakes only do 20% of the braking while the fronts do 80%. Are the rear brakes going to help that much? = NO. But I'm gonna do mine just to say I did it and if it's under $150 it's not that big of deal. But keep in mind that you might have a problem with the e-Brake cable. Well if it's 300zx rear brakes you do. I don't know about Q45 Brakes if they're the same thing or what.

XxJaPxOxNeEs23xX
02-28-2005, 12:30 AM
wtf kernel, wtf are u saying. rear brakes dont help that much???? . yeh the rear maybe does like 20 to 25percent and the front does like 75 to 80 percent. but when you push the brakes your rears lock first forcing the car to fall forward on its face so that the front brakes will work better. so if u say that the rear brakes dont do anything thats bs. nd having bigger brakes in the rear does help. it still does some work, maybe not as much as the front but still does a lot of braking to help stop the car.

tak-
02-28-2005, 03:07 PM
You are only as good as the weakest link ey... I dont think the q45 rear's are much bigger than the stock ones, so i dont think i will use them(unless im wrong!)

I would think the rear's did alot of the stopping, especially on cars with wide rear tires...the fronts may have so much clamping force, but if you dont have any rubber on the road, it may not mean much.

insurgent
02-28-2005, 09:23 PM
q45 rotors are as big as 300zx rotors, only 2 piston calipers though

mellojoe
02-28-2005, 09:59 PM
The neat thing about the q45 is that you can use your stock brake lines. So, if you want a SUPER cheap brake upgrade, you just got it.

But, if I were doing a brake upgrade, I'd buy some quality stainless steel braided brake lines. Which is exactly what I did. 4 brake lines + q45 calipers + some new Brembo rotors = nice stopping.

Sure, its not 4-piston JDM TYTNESS YO!!1! But, its improved braking on a budget.

The only kicker is trying to find brake pads. I haven't looked that hard, yet, but I didn't find any serious track pads for an INFINITI caliper. SATISFIED makes some ceramic pads, but nothing with tremendous bite.

turtl631
03-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Hawk HPS are available from SPL parts for Q brakes, great for hard street driving or even some track use since the Q brakes can dissipate so much more heat than stock.

Kernel Klinko
03-01-2005, 08:27 AM
wtf kernel, wtf are u saying. rear brakes dont help that much???? . yeh the rear maybe does like 20 to 25percent and the front does like 75 to 80 percent. but when you push the brakes your rears lock first forcing the car to fall forward on its face so that the front brakes will work better.

Your rear brakes aren't the only cause for the the front of the car to fall close to the ground, it's the inertia from the car slowing, and the fronts are the main reason for the slowing. And the only reason the rear brakes lock up first is because when the front is close to the ground there isn't a lot of weight on the rear tires which means they are easier to lock up.

As for tak if you get a good deal on those q45 rear brakes you should get them and I'd say get the rotors too just for a backup, even if you don't use them. If your going to have that many more brake pistons in your car you should do a master cylinder upgrade also, It would give a better pedal feel.

But if you don't do the rear brake upgrade and use a stock master cylinder your rear would lock up even easier because of how little effort it takes to apply the single piston rear calipers and how much more effort it would take to apply the front 4 piston calipers. Your proportioning would be all messed up.

So now that I think about it doing the rears can help in a lot of ways. And you can use stock brake lines, I think I want a q45 brake upgrade instead of a 300zx.

SPEC_R_SILVIA
03-02-2005, 11:53 PM
i don't know about anyone else i know this is off base but i have the 300zx TT brakes in my car and there GREAT

trixxxr4_kids
03-12-2005, 03:24 AM
for $30 two rotors thats pretty good all you have to do is drill them to 4 lug unless your already 5 lug and they are plug and play , you do have to sacrifice your brake dust shield tho because the are bigger rotors. IF your already a 5 lug just get 300zx brakes its alot easier and they work better

OptionZero
03-12-2005, 10:35 AM
the 3Z install is NOT easier IHMO

The Q45 brakes work with the stock M/C, so no replacement necessary.

Also, the Q45 calipers use the stock brake lnes, so you don 't necessarily need to buy "conversion" brake lines. in the process, though, you might as well get stainless steel lines, they're pretty cheap and effective way to improve brakes while replacing a worn out part.