PDA

View Full Version : Knock sensor help

vicko
02-26-2005, 03:10 PM
ok so i know i'm going to get flamed for this...
so not too long ago i changed my own oil. i have done it before and only put in the recommended amount of oil, which is 3 quarts. each time was synthetic blend, so the last oil change i had i took it somewhere because i was lazy and the cost was cheaper than i could get the oil (blend as well) and filter. so the last time i did it i used full synthetic except i put more oil than i was supposed to, and the 2nd time i drove the car my check engine light came on. since then i've drained some oil, reset the code, but the light still comes on. i have to get my car smogged soon (like today haha) and i need to know what to do besides maybe test/replace the knock sensor. just giving all the details in case it matters. did i cause any long term damage by putting too much oil in?

240 2NR
02-27-2005, 02:41 AM
The factory spec for oil changes is 4 quarts (or like 3 7/8 iirc depending on which manual you happen to be reading)

idlafie
02-27-2005, 02:15 PM
ok so i know i'm going to get flamed for this...
so not too long ago i changed my own oil. i have done it before and only put in the recommended amount of oil, which is 3 quarts. each time was synthetic blend, so the last oil change i had i took it somewhere because i was lazy and the cost was cheaper than i could get the oil (blend as well) and filter. so the last time i did it i used full synthetic except i put more oil than i was supposed to, and the 2nd time i drove the car my check engine light came on. since then i've drained some oil, reset the code, but the light still comes on. i have to get my car smogged soon (like today haha) and i need to know what to do besides maybe test/replace the knock sensor. just giving all the details in case it matters. did i cause any long term damage by putting too much oil in?

Try putting your ECU into Diagnostic Mode:
www.240sx.org/faq when the page loads, look to the links on the left. Scroll down till you get to ECM, Reading Trouble Codes DOHC. This will give you an idea as to what may be causing your Check Engine Light to come on. Chances are it could be a loose gas cap, cut/melted/disconnected vacuum lines, bad oxygen sensor or a stuck/defective sensor.
Post your Diagnostic Trouble Codes once you read them. We can probably direct you from there.
Anyhow, hope this helps...
ID
PS:
What year is your car again?? 95-96 or 97-98? OBDI or OBD II??

vicko
02-28-2005, 01:49 AM
its 96, odb2, we checked the code already and its 34: knock sensor. i know its directly related to putting too much oil in because it didn't happen until i overfilled it and drove it a second time. from what i read about the ecu, the first trip doesn't activate the light but the 2nd one does if the problem persists. so tomorrow i'm going to get my oil changed along with filter and hopefully i'll pass my smog test after i reset my ecu so the light doesn't show. in any event, does anyone know of a no pass no pay smog check place or better yet an "always pass" smog place?

chuy
02-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Colorado yes