PDA

View Full Version : eprom tuning???

g2ic02
02-24-2005, 09:56 AM
yes i have done searches.......just had to get that out of the way first...i was wondering if anyone had partnumbers for the following...
Daughterboards(i have found some like PLMS/srtuning.com)
EPROM Programmer(also some found on srtuning.com)
Emulator(couldn't find at all)
WideBand w/datalogging
I was wondering if there was a website that had all of these as a package...i just want to get into chip burning and datalogging and need help getting started. Oh and diagrams on how to put the daughterboard and emulator into the ecu would help a ton. thanks

Macadoshus
02-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Check out this...

http://forum.ztechz.net/

That should get you started.

g2ic02
02-24-2005, 01:04 PM
thanks for the link...still a little sketch on the whole dataloging stuff.....what i got from the uberdata guys(for honda ecu's) is to do the real time tuning all they needed was a usb cable they soldered into their ecu's, why couldn't we use this approach rather than buying an expensive emulator???? I just don't like the idea of burning a chip with a fuel curve then plugging it in and seeing if it was ok...then having to half ass tune the curve a little...burn another chip....then see if that works...I would rather tune it in the car then saving the curve then burn it....Maybe i am missing something....

Macadoshus
02-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Well... simply soldering in a USB cable to do realtime tuning is probably an over simplification of the matter. More information on how they do this in the Honda ECU scene can be found here (http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/RealTimeProgramming) , if you haven't seen it already. I follow their stuff pretty closely because it is alot more fluid over there in terms of progress and many of the same techniques apply.

I believe the only people doing real time programming in the Nissan scene is someone by the name of Lawrence who is writing some software of his own for this called Liveedit. His website is down right now, but is located here: http://www.engineers.auckland.ac.nz/~lmoo016/. From what I can recall he actually uses to Rom Emulators due to the fact that SR20 daughterboards utilize two Roms (this is a result of some interesting addressing scheme used by the ECUs designers). I don't know that LiveEdit is ready for primetime but is more in a beta/development phase, so if you are looking for real time programming at this time your best bet would most likely be with an engine management system that supports it like the AEM EMS.

89s132b
02-24-2005, 01:34 PM
There isn't a working emulator for the SR right now. Ash is supposedly working on one, but I have heard that for quite a while. Explaining the ins and outs of ROM tuning is not something that can be done over the computer. It will just take a lot of research, trial-and-error, and figuring things out on your own. Nobody is going to spoon feed it to you. There are no package deals.

The PLMS daughterboard comes with install instructions. It is a high quality piece and worth the extra money. The map switcher makes tuning much easier. I have ROM tuned 5 cars with these and I won't use another board.
For WB02's check out Innovate LM-1 (industry standard), Zeitronix Zt-2 (the one I use), and PLX Devices R500 (brand new and very nice)

xsparc
02-25-2005, 05:43 AM
I have writen a ROM editor for the 240sx, its a pain. As for doing live tuning, its gets kinda hard. from what i remember it can only be done (so far) is on the cars with a CONSULT port, 91-95 if i remember right. thes cars will at lease let you read the ecu registers in live mode. ill have to go back over all my stuff to see if you can actualy change anything. I got the majority of my info from PLMS when they first started doing this stuff. bottom line is the best way to do it is with a rom emulator.

g2ic02
02-25-2005, 12:09 PM
ok so tuning in real time is out of the question....so what is the most effective way to fine tune from the basemap with out burning a million chips, or is that just what you have to do....I really appreciate all the usefull information...thanks

89s132b
02-25-2005, 01:46 PM
My set-up allows me to datalog pretty much every engine parameter through zeitronics zt-2 and consult datascan. The data I get from those sessions tell me how to set up my maps. Then I fine tune fuel with my SAFCII.

xsparc
02-25-2005, 02:48 PM
ok i just looked over all the CONSULT commands and you can read/write timing and ingnition values, but these are not permanent so you still need to burn an eprom. ill wip up something when i get back to the states (stupid marine coprs sent me to iraq). since i have a 89 (no consult on 89-90) ill have to buy a DOHC to try it out on.