PDA

View Full Version : weird starting issues, im stumped

statik
02-23-2005, 08:54 AM
My car recently is having issues starting up. I don't think its the starter or the battery or the alternator because after i get it started once it will start up fine for the next few hours. My problem is sometimes when I try to start it after sitting a few hours, the car will crank, and i hear a relay clicking in the driver side kick panel and the car wont start.

Eventually the car will start turning over weird, it will try to turn over, then act as if im no longer turning the key, like : *crank* *crank* *crank* *crank* ___________ *crank* *crank* *crank* *crank* _____________ *crank* *crank*

Then it will start up and my radio presets are gone.

This came out of no where so im assuming something died, but I have no idea what it could be, the battery is brand new. Id say maybe the starter/alt, but the car starts fine after I get it started once. Could it be that relay thats clicking? possibly a bad connection? I could really use some help here...

F3600
02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Get your starter rebuild. The bendix get stuck sometime ,eventually your car will not start anymore

F3600
02-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Get your starter rebuild. The bendix get stuck sometime , eventually you car will not start anymore.

Ps : double post sorry

statik
02-23-2005, 05:42 PM
but why would it work fine after struggling on the initial start?

statik
02-23-2005, 05:57 PM
if the bendix went wouldnt the starter motor just spin and not engage the flywheel? thats not whats happening, the car is cranking just not firing up.

90sr
02-23-2005, 06:43 PM
id get all 3 tested, if you have a volt meter, test the starter alternator and battery and see the voltage to each, cuz that happened to me with my battery when i was done with my sr swap, it would crank n crank but not catch n i tested the battery first and on startup it would jump down to like 6 volts and its not suppost to go past like 10 or 11 i think so i went out bought another one good to go, otherwise, make sure your firing order is correct right plug goin to right wire, check your plugs make sure there all sparking.

good luck

chris

statik
02-23-2005, 11:20 PM
i haven't touched the coil packs since I did the swap, and the car was running great until this, it still runs perfectly fine, just hard to cold start. As I said, the battery is brand new(redtop optima) so it's unlikely, my battery voltage is fine, I think its something to do with getting the power to the starter. I was just hoping someone had a similar issue with the weird starting as I described...

Matt_240
02-23-2005, 11:26 PM
maybe ignition switch? i had to change mine before. it goes bad.