PDA

View Full Version : Throw out bearing

Mr. Spool
02-16-2005, 08:59 PM
I am guessing that my throw out bearing went bad, I say this becouse when I would drive I would sometimes get a whine coming from the tranny, also on shifts It felt like my spline would just keep spining, so this was my assumtion, what happend next is that my clutch will not dissengage. can this be the ultimate result of a bad throw out bearing, and how can I check for a bad slave or master cylinder. thanks.

S14DB
02-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Do you hear a squealing noise with the clutch in?

max_misawa
02-17-2005, 12:04 AM
have you checked the transmission fluid?

Max

RBS14
02-17-2005, 12:19 AM
I've got a similar problem. on startup, I get a whining/whirring noise with clutch in, but when I let it out, it stops. after warmup, it doesn't do it anymore. still feels solid tho. I thought it was TOB but I have been leaking tranny fluid, so I put an extra half quart in it and it's not as bad anymore. wtf? I must have a bad bearing in my tranny. Sorry for the thread jacking. Just thought that might help.

Mr. Spool
02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
I checked the tranny fluid and it should be all good. there are no grinds coming from the tranny, the whirling sound was coming from the clutch when it was pressed in, now, nothing, kinda wierd. I also can not disengage the clutch, I can start it in gear however, with some effort, and it will drive but not shift.

S14DB
02-17-2005, 12:33 PM
I think your SC is shot now.

Mr. Spool
02-17-2005, 02:44 PM
thanks, but what is sc

Mr. Spool
02-17-2005, 02:45 PM
oh by bad, slave cylinder, I wish, I checked it earlier and it expanded and contracted like it was fine. when my tob goes will it inhibit the clutch from working. thanks.

ledzeppelin240
02-17-2005, 09:17 PM
The throw out bearing will make some bad noises but the clutch should still engadge and disengadge. It sounds like your slave cylinder, master cylinder or possible clutch fork. Also check the pivot for the clutch fork, maybe it is no longer a ball pivot...Best thing to do would be drop the tranny and check to see what is in spec and what isn't.

slip_coupe
02-17-2005, 10:41 PM
the reason your clutch will not disengage is because your master cylinder or slave cylinder has failed. Here is a quote from a auto maintenance book i have, "if a master cylinder or slave cylinder fails, the operator will not have any way to disengage the clutch". I dont know if this will help, but here is what the book says about bad throwout bearings, "a loud noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in usually means the throwout bearing has lost its lubricant". but that wont help now that the clutch wont disengage.

RBS14
02-17-2005, 10:46 PM
are there any adverse affects (aside from the noise) to having a TOB which has lost it's lubricant? i.e. will it affect performance of the clutch or is it just annoying? I think I was imagining the tranny fluid helping, I'm pretty sure my problem is the TOB. Thanks in advance.

S14DB
02-17-2005, 11:33 PM
are there any adverse affects (aside from the noise) to having a TOB which has lost it's lubricant? i.e. will it affect performance of the clutch or is it just annoying? I think I was imagining the tranny fluid helping, I'm pretty sure my problem is the TOB. Thanks in advance.
The TOB will start chewing on the pressure plate fingers.

RBS14
02-18-2005, 12:09 AM
fuck me backwards.

Ok, thanks man.

Mr. Spool
02-18-2005, 07:39 AM
I am almost possitive the clutch and slave cylinders are working properly, the slave cylinder gives a full extension when the clutch is pressed, so I would assume that means it is working correctly. I am hoping that I fudged up my fork or something else along the those lines. anyone had a bad tob mess up anything else.

Mr. Spool
02-18-2005, 07:40 AM
also what else should I look for when I drop the tranny.

I am also wondering if my tranny should still be good. I was able to get it into gear and it sounded okay. I just could not shift odviously. or would you guys sudjest swapping the tranny while its out and down. I have the other tranny but the tranny that is in there right now was the smoothest shifting tranny that I have ever had.

Mr. Spool
02-18-2005, 03:18 PM
is it possible that it is the pilot bushing making all this noise, also will the tob make noise even when the car is driving. thanks.

Al_S14
02-18-2005, 07:09 PM
damit i got same problem. sometimes id get reall loud wine inbetween shifts if i shift above 2k. fluid is full . and i jsut did the clutch and TOB was replaced. thing is driving me nuts

i remember that first time i started the car up on hte lift after new clutch put in it was wining when clutch was pressed in but then after i drove it few miles it went away and now as i said it came back but now only happens intermittently durring shifts or when i just push the clutch in after accelerating at 3k+

only abnormal thing i noticed is clutch pedal doesnt always return all the way up kinda sticks and sometimes pops all \the way out(seems like half inch or so not much) .... wounder if this has something to do with the wine.

max_misawa
02-18-2005, 07:47 PM
If it makes noise when the pedal is depressed thats is usually the pilot bushing (some cars have pilot bearings)
I know on the KA/SR you have to hammer in the bushing pretty hard most times
You should sand it down after install with some sand paper or even emory paper will work

Max

Mr. Spool
02-18-2005, 08:22 PM
does the pilot bushing make noise when the car is driving, thanks.

max_misawa
02-19-2005, 12:34 AM
If you are not pressing on the pedal it is not touching anything, so it should not make any noise

Max

Mr. Spool
02-19-2005, 08:16 AM
what else could I look for once I finnaly do drop my tranny. thanks.

Campos
02-19-2005, 11:13 AM
what kinda clutches are ya'll using, when i had my s14 i put a spec 3 in it and it made the noise, well now that car is gone and i have an 89 hatch with spec pp and tob it also make the same noise, maybe spec tob's suc. i never had this problem with stock tob.

slip_coupe
02-19-2005, 09:39 PM
what else could I look for once I finnaly do drop my tranny. thanks.

get the pressure plate, and flywheel resurfaced and replace the clutch disc.

S14DB
02-19-2005, 11:06 PM
For some nice blown clutches:
http://media.centerforce.com/DiagGuide/DiagnosticGuide04DL.pdf

Mr. Spool
02-20-2005, 08:20 AM
thks for that