PDA

View Full Version : Nismo Tension Rod Bushings

evanl85
02-16-2005, 06:20 AM
Has anyone installed these in their S13? I ordered a pair for my front, and want to do the install myself, but if it requires having a machine push the old bushings out, and the new in, obviously I can't. Also, will installing this throw off the current alignment? Thanks

Replicant_S14
02-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Has anyone installed these in their S13? I ordered a pair for my front, and want to do the install myself, but if it requires having a machine push the old bushings out, and the new in, obviously I can't.

You may be able do it with a big vise and some round pieces of whatever you have lying around the garage. I use to have some picture from a whiteline bushing install but I guess they are gone now. If I find it I'll post it.

Also, will installing this throw off the current alignment? Thanks
No.

North240
02-16-2005, 09:07 AM
you could try a large hammer, and a vice, give it a shot, its a pain in the ass but possible.

evanl85
02-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Are the tension rods full steel? I have had bad experiences with vices and crushing things..haha.

S13 Charlie
02-16-2005, 12:39 PM
It would be a good idea to get an alignment after you get these new bushings installed. Especially if your bushings are as shot as mine were (big cracks and oozing fluid everywhere) and if the car was ever aligned with messed up Tension rod bushings. Besides the 70 bucks or so for an alignment will end up saving you many hundreds in new tires. In my opinion, it's worth it.

cheers,

C

idlafie
02-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Has anyone installed these in their S13? I ordered a pair for my front, and want to do the install myself, but if it requires having a machine push the old bushings out, and the new in, obviously I can't. Also, will installing this throw off the current alignment? Thanks

Actually if you open up your local yellow pages and look under automotive machine shops, you can probably have them press the Nismo bushings in for you. It will probably run you about $20 bucks or so depending on the shop but if you remove them from your car & take the TC rods to the shop it will be a lot cheaper than driving to a mechanic & having the mechanic do the work for you.
Anyhow, good luck with the install. It's definitely worth the money. No more nosediving under hard braking and cornering.
ID

Jung918
02-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Just burn the bushings out. Then use a sawzell to cut the outer sleeve.

KevinsS13
02-16-2005, 11:28 PM
I have them, the old ones had to be pressed out and the nismo ones pressed in. I guess you could burn, saw, vise, or whatever to get them out but do you wanna waste your time with that when you can spend a few bucks and do it the right way? The saying goes, " there is no cheap way to do it the right way". Alignment should be altered by you removing the T/C rods so I would suggest you get a front wheel alignment atleast. Hope this helped!

~Kevin

Muzzy
02-17-2005, 07:31 AM
dont burn that shit. like replicant said u need something round to push it out and to push the new one in. but not the vice idea. u need a hydraulic press...if u have access to one. i went to the craft shop..idk if u are able to get one. but u need a press to do it. use a fat dowl(daowl??) or similar dia" pipe

SirWarrior
02-17-2005, 08:50 AM
actually the torch will make the bushing POP out, I did it before. Put my new ones in, All good since.