PDA

View Full Version : Passenger headlight not working but brights are?????

burnsmonkey
02-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Now I changed the HL and still nothing, I get the same thing. My driver HL is working fine and I can only get the passender to come on if i turn on my brights, so any suggestions???

bobafett
02-13-2005, 03:59 PM
havent checked out the s13 yet, but i had that problem on the accord, and it was the low beam fuse was blown... dont know if s13 has low and high beam fuses that are seperate, but u could check it out.

speeddreamz
02-13-2005, 05:31 PM
theres a r/h (right) and l/h (left) fuse in the engine bay fuse box, it should be a 30 if im not mistaken. low/high beam are the same fuse

burnsmonkey
02-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Just checked the fuse and its fine, but now I turned the lights on its working and an hour later its not?? Bad ground??

yudalicious
02-13-2005, 07:16 PM
check the plugs that plug into the lowbeam headlights; if you run/have ran bulbs that are higher wattage than stock they may be burned.

burnsmonkey
02-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Should i pull the rubber boot off to check it?

d-ta
02-14-2005, 12:19 AM
check your headlight switch. my buddy had the same problem.

AN89HATCH
02-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Did you try switching your left head light to the other side?

tegasaurus
02-14-2005, 01:20 AM
i have the EXACT same problem. If you find the fix before i do could you please tell me? I think it has something to do with the switch on the steering column. If i turn my right blinker on really hard sometimes i can get the passenger light to flash. Anyone know the fix?

vicko
02-14-2005, 03:19 AM
i had the same problem and i called the dealership to see if maybe it was a bad switch, and they said to replace the bulb. i have sylvania silverstars that i put in a year ago and the pass. light stopped working, so i just bought a single bulb at autozone and it worked fine since.

badboy6686
02-14-2005, 07:37 AM
would anyone know what the cause would be for both headlights working like normal, but only the left highbeam works? i changed the bulbs because my brother told me high and low beams are on two different filaments and mabye the high beam was blown... i dunno lol. But the change didn't fix it. plugs looked fine when i looked at them.

ledzeppelin240
02-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Checking with a test light to see if there is power at the headlight might have been a good idea. But too bad the circuit is controlled on the ground side of the circuit, so there will be power at the headlight. Understanding how something works is the only way you can repair it...

This is off the top of my head. Check out the wiring diagrams and that should give you a better idea of where to start. Otherwise take it to a shop before you destroy it…

Skimafia
02-15-2005, 02:00 PM
It is your switch on the column. Take the column plastic off and remove the light switch and lever mechanism (2 screws, 2 electrial clips if you got cruise, 1 if you dont). Now once you got the unit out, you will see a white panel on one side of it with 4 retainer things on each corner. Remove that panel with some sort of pick or small screwdriver. You will now see about 5 copper colored "fingers", and you will notice if you switch on the lights or the high beams with the lever, these fingers will move up and down on the contacts. Look at them and determine by moving your switch which two are the high beams (on the right side iirc if your looking with the pivot point towards you and contacts away). If you hook your electrical connections back up to the switch with the switch removed from column, turn the high beams on and push down on the finger your light should come back on. Now, do not try to bend the finger, it will never work, what you gotta do is take a small pick (90 degree one) and pry up on the contact located under that finger. Just bend it up a tad so that it contacts only when the high beams are on. If its dirty or corroded in there, take some alcohol or acetone with a brush and clean it out. This will fix your problem.

BTW. i just did this no longer than 15 minutes ago on my moms pathfinder (which uses exact same type of setup). I also do this to many nissans at work because a new switch is expensive.