PDA

View Full Version : S13 Sr20 Red Top Problems HELP!!!

DJPimpFlex
02-10-2005, 07:00 PM
I just got my red top installed in my S13 about a month ago now. It ran pretty good when I got it, but now its not firing on one or more cylinders. I havent even driven the car, waiting on a few things to iron themselvs out, but anyway is there anything I can do that would solve this problem. I cleaned the spark plugs and check for spark #1 seems pretty dead, but its kinda weird chekc spark with the spring or whatever inside the spark plug wire. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :aw: :ughug: :duh: :confused:

slider2828
02-11-2005, 12:58 PM
What color were your spark plugs, was it oily? I am not sure what you mean by check spark is pretty dead. And when checking your spark, check every single one of them. Finally take a look down in the spark plug holes (obviously without the spark plug) and see if you getting fuel. (Shiny stuff that makes your car go boom).... in a good way

steve shadows
02-11-2005, 04:38 PM
where did you get the swap?>

DJPimpFlex
02-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Gorgeous Garage in milpitas. I checked all the spark plugs. 3 were kinda oily, and one was just carbon, but norman and not bad. Nothing that should have made it stop running on one cylinder. #1 isnt getting spark as far as I know. I stuck a screw driver in an put it close to metal and waited for spark while turning it over, and nothing. There is gas.

fliprayzin240sx
02-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Do a compression check on all cylinders first off. Then to check for sparks, have somebody ground each sparkplug to the block while you crank it. You should see spark.

blu808
02-12-2005, 05:08 AM
I took a look at that motor they had, If this is the same one i was thinking of. Well, to me the motor looked like a piece. It had oxidation all over it, throttle body was corroded shut, etc.

The substance on your spark plugs was most likely fuel, if it was oil your motor has major problems. Also it would be smoking white out the tail pipe. Tell me this. the plug in decent condition was it a flakey white color? Or was it a poo brown? I would like you to also do a compression test as reccomended, and take a jumper cable and place one crimp on the intake manifold, and the other to the neg battery, or chassis. Keep in mind this could be a ground problem.

Other things it would most likely (hopefully be)

1-Shotty wiring.
2-ecu ground loose
3-tps setup incorrectly
4-bad coil packs
5-loose pins on the ignitor
6- fpr stuck causing waaaaay to much fuel press and causing the motor to run sooo rich it fauls plugs.

Let me know. If you are in the bay i can check it out for you.

DJPimpFlex
02-12-2005, 07:18 PM
the spark plug that was not wet was brown. It doesnt poor white smoke out the back which is good. I know for a fact that the ECU isnt grounded right because its just laying on the ground. SOmeting else I have to deal with. Shotty wireing is another problem that is possible. The guage cluster doesnt even work. He said something like the cluster harness needs to be replaced, the 2 sets of wires that go from behind the cluster to somewhere. Coil packs? Maybe, but I dont have any other to test with. Any of the other things are possible also. I am really disapointed in the swap. I paid a shit load of money and its just not working out like I wanted. I also need to set the timeing, but I cant even do that until I get the guage cluster to work and set the idle. Fuckin shit.

Matt

BTW I do live in the bay and I could use some help. Let me know.

DJPimpFlex
02-14-2005, 01:18 PM
anyone have any other ideas?

blu808
02-14-2005, 01:34 PM
I would have to take a look at it.

nehoye
02-15-2005, 01:55 AM
you might have a bad igniter chip...... i ran in to the simlar problem last month.

DJPimpFlex
02-17-2005, 04:29 PM
So I checked compression. It was 150 155 150 135. So #4 is bad off. I need to do a leakdown test to see if its the rings or the head, but I dont have a compressor so i cant do that yet. Then engine stoped running completely. No spark anywhere. I'm thinking its wireing because it ran and I cheked the different coils with eachother on different lines and still no spark. I dont think that they would all go out like that. Anyway I'm thinkin about trashing this motor unless something starts going right.

blu808
02-17-2005, 04:48 PM
DOnt get too discouraged on the compression. With the missfire you were running alot of unburnt gas in the chambers, that will wash out your rings, and could cause lower compression. Dont do a leakdown test until you fix the wiring, change the oil (gas is in the oil), and run the car for a bit. :kiss:

DJPimpFlex
02-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Yea I'm takeing it to a different shop this weekend to have all that fixed. Ran into some unexpected $$$. (got out of a ticket!!!! YAY $1000+ for ME!) Anyway so things should look up. I just home the engines not fried.

mjjstang
02-17-2005, 05:42 PM
my plugs looked real good, then I got a new set for giggles, and it was like night and day, so if they look pretty weak, then change em. also it seems your not spending too much attention on detail, ecu not hooked on the chassis, takes 2 minutes, and ground problems can make REALLY weird shit happen.

DJPimpFlex
02-17-2005, 07:42 PM
I know, but its weird about the ECU mounting. I dont really have the bolts or anything. I really need to look at another car and figure it out. It looks wierd and I just need to fix it. I know it makes the car act wierd. The car wont run if its not vertical. Anyone know why? Wierd &@$^@*#%!

citizen
02-17-2005, 07:48 PM
too much carbon fiber on your car, its throwing off the specific gravity of the fuel and causing the spark to be difused into the atmosphere.

DJPimpFlex
02-21-2005, 06:23 PM
I dont wanna hear about to much carbon fiber, GRR. Car is in the shop now. Hopeing for some good news.